_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
News
MIG Productions: Brand is Back
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 06:50 PM UTC

The brand MIG Productions is back, with a new team and many products.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
kefran
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 - 03:36 AM UTC
please take note that this has nothing to see with the original and only "MIG Productions" brand. Miguel Jimenez is NOT involved in this rebirth of the name. Miguel Jimenez "MIG" is only involved in AMMO products. (see his facebook page for a complete detailing of the imbroglio with his name and make your own opinion ...
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Miguel Jimenez is NOT involved in this rebirth of the name.

And you talk about that like it's a bad thing...
tigerproductions
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 - 06:00 AM UTC
Please note that the "original" MIG Productions was owned by Miguel's ex wife as the CEO. When he left she kept the company and continued the business as MIG Productions, and then it was purchased by AK Interactive.

Had to put this in here since there's no reason to put down one brand or the other. There's plenty of room in the hobby for everyone. Let's let the modeler decide which products they like and where they want to buy them from. That's how it's supposed to work in our society.

tigerproductions
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hey Bill Cross.
JavierDeLuelmo
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 - 07:58 AM UTC

Surely one of the funniest industry-related news of the year.

Jiménez must be quite happy

So am I
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 - 09:48 AM UTC
So should we ready ourselves for a "really real color" set?
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...and then it was purchased by AK Interactive.

Yesterday evening when I read the news I took it as a good "new", especially for their old resin products that come back on the market...but...but...but,knowing a little about the whole story between MIG-Abteilung502-AK-Ammo I immediately thought it was a bit 'strange, but' it is true that a new company is good for the market, more choice and more competition, but it is really competition or is just a weapon directed towards just a pretender to the throne?..... Abteilung502 was linked to the MIG,then it was resuscitated by AK along with the old pigment range that was previously MIG,now the Abt502 is marketed by AK and by the reviving MIG .....it's a soap opera....so who's behind it?...the ex...the ex-friend and ex-lover...the former business buddy...none of the 3?...but specially, WHY? .... we will know the next episode of..."The Wars of Colors"...
Removed by original poster on 07/21/18 - 11:53:23 (GMT).
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 - 11:15 AM UTC
It's odd that AK now has a separate brand to compete with itself. These are listed as having a new formula, so I assume they will not be the same as the original Mig Productions stuff. Perhaps they will be the same formulas as AKs current stuff? From a cost perspective, MiG Productions effects will be significantly cheaper per ML than AK stuff.
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 - 12:20 PM UTC
In the end, does it really matter...? We have enough pigments, filters, washes, rust effects, dust effects, mud, water effects, rain effects, blah, blah, blah, to fill an ocean liner...!! To each his/her own I guess, but good grief Charlie Brown, I'm running outa room for all this stuff...LOL...!

thehermit
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's odd that AK now has a separate brand to compete with itself. These are listed as having a new formula, so I assume they will not be the same as the original Mig Productions stuff. Perhaps they will be the same formulas as AKs current stuff? From a cost perspective, MiG Productions effects will be significantly cheaper per ML than AK stuff.

I think it was just to compliment their own color line, plus in some circles MIG is a well known brand. A lot of companies will run similar products under different names. I use both AK and MIG enamels for weathering.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 - 02:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it was just to compliment their own color line, plus in some circles MIG is a well known brand. A lot of companies will run similar products under different names. I use both AK and MIG enamels for weathering.

i agree,also after restart with Abt.502 AK drop their oils line and stop to development of AK-Pigments in favor of the old MIG line
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Armorama: 246 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 02:34 AM UTC
I went to this post because I honestly didnt even notice that they ever went out of bussiness. I can surely buy products from all of them still online or on biger events. Honestly dont understand what the fuzz is all about. When I need sand, I buy sand, when I need wash, I buy wash. I dont even read the labels anymore.
Jay_Antony
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 01:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but it is really competition or is just a weapon directed towards just a pretender to the throne?

Yeah, I think it is a clever business move by AK Interactive to revive the brand - for several obvious reasons (historic goodwill value of the brand, a new brand enables use of different marketing strategies etc to the existing brand to try to capture a new sector of the market etc etc), but most importantly, they can leverage and 'ride the coat-tail's of Mig Jimenez's personal profile and 'fame', and in a way, parasitically gain brand awareness from all current marketing done for "AMMO of MIG" - the brands sound similar and many consumers will confuse them.

So a smart commercial move, but for me, I feel a little uncomfortable with the way it cynically exploits Mig Jimenez's personal brand etc.

And before anyone shouts "that's just business, he shouldn't have given up the brand rights etc etc etc" - I get it (I'm a lawyer), but to me it's pretty uncool.

Jay_Antony
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 01:29 PM UTC
And a PS - the Facebook marketing for the relaunch of the brand is filled with the tagline

"I'm back"

To me, the use of phrasing that suggests an individual person is back or returning ("I'm back"), as opposed to the more accurate phrasing for the return of a corporate entity or brand ("It's back" or "We're back") points to, in my view, a pretty distasteful effort to leverage the personal profile of Mig Jimenez and can give the impression to uninformed consumers he is "back" etc i.e. it appears to me they are deliberately exploiting his individual success by suggesting he is affiliated with the brand whereas he in fact only gave up rights to the name MIGProductions.

And found it interesting where they had wording describing the AMMO box containing a complete set of washes or filters ...
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 01:51 PM UTC
J Antony you're right where I wanted to go, I guess it's all legal and that businnes is businnes....but...but...
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... there's no reason to put down one brand or the other. There's plenty of room in the hobby for everyone.

Hey, I use both brands of products, they are all good stuff. I like many of the MIG ones (especially the washes and filters) because I've used them for years.

It's true that we really have a glut of similar products now, and some of them are SUPER specific (Dirt from Village X on the Russian Front on Thursday, July 23, 1944). The original pigments were quite general and could be used in many situations.

Quoted Text

Hey Bill Cross.

Hey, back to you!!!
kennethc
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 - 08:02 AM UTC
It's just marketing 101.
Frankly, (and this is just my opinion) AMMO and AK brands are a couple of drama queens that CONSTANTLY bicker like 6yr olds trying to out do each other. The crap that flies back and for on social media between these two camps and their respective "followers" is embarrassing for the hobby. Personally I use very little in the way of premixed product and I have found their respective paints inferior to other brands for my needs anyway.

KC
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"I'm back".... distasteful

Agreed. Quite entertaining from a soap opera point of view, but seems unnecessary.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 12:08 AM UTC
Personally, I like AK Real Colors. Actually, they are my prefered brand. I couldn't care less about marketing. All companies do this. The good ones succeed, not because of marketing but because of quality. If something is good, use it.
timcc2008
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 12:55 AM UTC
When I saw the "I'm Back", I immediately thought that Mig was back with AK. Not sure I agree with the marketing, very misleading and easily misinterpreted.

vr,

Tim
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 10:48 AM UTC
Do they even have continued rights to “Mig” name?
Darius359au
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 06:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do they even have continued rights to “Mig” name?

Apparently the rights are for "Mig Productions" mentioned in an earlier post ,but however you look at it ,it's definitely a cheap move trying to cash in on the "Mig" name and brand recognition.
 _GOTOTOP