_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Masking
HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
KitMaker: 346 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 05:21 PM UTC
Hi,

I hardly ever paint tanks so I need some tips.
For a 1/72 diorama I used the Humbrol masking liquid to do the camo work and I didn't like it al all.
It's a crime to remove the stuff and the results are disappointing.
Now, for a 1/35 tank (T59B or T59-II) I want to use masking-stuff again.
There's more then one liqued product on the market but there is also 'clay' that should do the trick. What do you experienced tank-moddelers recommend?
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 06:06 PM UTC
depend from the job,masking fluid,tamiya tape,blue-tack or masking putty like Panzer-putty but the cheap version Theraputty Black X-firm,exactly the same stuff but a lot cheaper.

https://www.fab-ent.com/exercise/exercise-putty/theraputty-standard-exercise-putty/
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 07:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

I hardly ever paint tanks so I need some tips.
For a 1/72 diorama I used the Humbrol masking liquid to do the camo work and I didn't like it al all.
It's a crime to remove the stuff and the results are disappointing.
Now, for a 1/35 tank (T59B or T59-II) I want to use masking-stuff again.
There's more then one liqued product on the market but there is also 'clay' that should do the trick. What do you experienced tank-moddelers recommend?

It very much depends on what you want to achieve. Tape is only good for hard edge camo. With thick panzer putty you can also do soft edge camo (if your freehand skills don't allow for it without masking)...
HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 09:16 PM UTC
It's for painting the T59-II chinese tank so camo with soft edges
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 - 12:24 AM UTC
For soft edges theraputty,panzerputty,Bluetack,Silly Putty or free hand
HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 - 02:09 AM UTC
Thanks, I'll give it a try
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 - 04:41 AM UTC
I sometimes use putty, but not in the sense you probably think.More on that...
Putty can give hard or soft edges, depending on which angle you shoot your paint from. If you shoot towards the point where the putty meets the model, you'll get a hard edge. If you shoot over the top of the putty at an angle, you'll get a softer edge. The further distance you shoot, the more feathered the edge appears.

As Nicolas said, it depends upon what you want to achieve.

For "prescribed camo," I like to actually enlarge the drawings to 1/35 scale, and cut them out. For each section of mask, I use bits of putty to create standoff between the mask on the model. Close standoff yields a tight, yet still soft pattern:

A little more standoff gives a softer look:

In the absence of putty, I use little rolled up balls of tape. I suppose you could even use cookie dough if you were so inclined.

For "field" jobs, where it is less important to conform to a set pattern, I just freehand it. Not as tight, but neither would it be with some private cutting loose with a spray gun:

And for hard edge, I know lots of guys like to use putty. I'm just too lazy. I paint it with a brush:

It might even look like it was painted with a brush, because... in real life it was painted with a brush.
HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 02:50 AM UTC
Great info! And you're right. They did use a brush in those days (and perhaps even now).
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 12:14 PM UTC
I haven't used a brush to paint a tank since I was 8. However I am starting a hard edge paint job and after reading Migs and Adams books, I am going to use a brush. The reference said to spray the base coat ( I am using the lightest color). Then draw the pattern lightly on the tank. Then thin the paint so it would leave few brush marks and paint the edges of the pattern with a couple coats. then spray the larger areas filling in the field.
 _GOTOTOP