_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Painting/Masking? 1/72 One Piece Wheel/Track
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 10:45 AM UTC
Hey guys -- funny how as soon as the weather starts to turn in Sept, I get armor-fever again

I've been wanting to do some of these S-Model kits I have around and wondered if you guys had and tricks for painting concentric tires on the "all in one" track/wheel setups.

I've been using various plastic circle templates, panzer putty to hold the wheel (in tire color) in place behind the template and blast it.

I don't see anyway to get that consistency

I was thinking maybe a heavy gray, neutral or black wash on the wheels then some spirits with a micro brush to clean up the centers a bit??

Thanks in advance guys for any ideas
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 12:53 AM UTC
Bump - fingers crossed some one piece bogie/tracks experts will chime in.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 02:23 AM UTC
I’m not an expert in 1/72 scale armor, but have built a few, and currently have an M 113 on my workbench in that scale (for a project involving a lift with a CH-47). Here’s what I did:
1) I found a punch set with punches in approximately two sizes for the wheels and tires. The wheels need to be exact, the tire punch not so much. Then I took a strip of masking tape and applied it to a strip of thin styrene, and punched a couple dozen “disks” for each size out of the styrene/masking tape-- the tape will peel easily from the styrene plastic disk, then you can save the plastic disks for other modeling projects.
2) I painted the entire track/wheel assembly in the OD base color. Then applied each wheel masking “disc” over the wheels, leaving the rubber rims exposed.
3) I then sprayed the entire assembly rubber black, when dry, I applied the slightly larger disc, if it overlaps slightly that’s ok.
4) Working directly from the top and sides without angling the piece, I sprayed the final track color (Testors steel mixed with silver and black). I then dry brushed the track pads, pulled off the masking disks, touched up as needed then and applied the final weathering.
Hope this helps.
VR, Russ
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 07:08 PM UTC
I have a circle cutter so will try that.

What about a Pz. I where it has the face of the wheels blocked? I guess hand painting is the only way?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a circle cutter so will try that.

What about a Pz. I where it has the face of the wheels blocked? I guess hand painting is the only way?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the face of the wheel". Panzer I had a suspension frame around the roadwheels--if it's not a separate part, I'd think you could do the method above, then just paint the framework with a small brush after.
VR, Russ
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 04:44 PM UTC
I just meant that you could not use full masking discs on my s-model pz 1 I'm looking at.
 _GOTOTOP