_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Paint and Weathering Bottle Racks???
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 02:12 PM UTC
Hi All,

Since getting back into the hobby, I have by now acquired a lot of paints, and a variety of manufacturers, as well as a large number of odd shaped containers such as for pigments (Mig in particular) and Mig weathering liquids (those are just examples) in the odd oblong bottles.

As far as paints, I have Tamiya (23 and 10ml bottles), Vallejo and Mig 17ml bottles, Mission models, Lifecolor, and now Mr. Color paint (the same size as Tamiya 10ml), plus a smattering of other manufacturer paints, too. So, with all of these paint bottles of different sizes, PLUS all the wide variety of larger, odder sized bottles of various thinners and square bottles of gloss and matte finishes, what would you recommend for bottle racks? I have literally hundreds of different bottles of varying sizes and shapes.

Thoughts on how to organize all this, preferably on the cheap?
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 02:32 PM UTC
I keep mine in a couple of old cantilever toolboxes. Glues, solvents, brushes etc fit into the top tray while the lower trays and main box contain paints. I label the top of the paint pots for easy identification.
das_nooblet
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:21 PM UTC
I likely don't have anywhere near as large a collection as most here, but I built myself some shelves out of scrap bits of wood trim.

I took a 90-degree piece and screwed/glued it to a flat piece, and then hot-glued a small dowel at the front to stop stuff from sliding off.

It fits my 14.7mL bottle of model master enamel, 10mL bottles of tamiya acrylic, and 100mL Tamiya shaker cans. I then just simply slide everything to the front of the "shelf" to look more organized

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 01:46 PM UTC

Just a few pine boards cut with slanted slots acting as the verticals, and shelves made from long strips of backing board counter-cut to fit the slots on the vertical boards. The boards will sag a little being just backing material, but they won't pull out as they are held by the slots. They are sized to fit a large Tamiya bottle 2 high and nearly 2 deep. Made from scrap wood I had around. The vertical boards are actually attached to the studs inside the wall behind.
 _GOTOTOP