_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Painting slat armour
das_nooblet
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 09:24 AM UTC
Good day all, I am new to the forums and have a question about colouring for slat armour.

I am resuming work on a Leopard 2A6CAN with slat armour, but (being the dunce I am) I originally decided to go with the standard NATO three-tone camouflage, instead of some sort of arid/desert scheme for which there are a million and one reference pictures.

Due to the nature of it, I cannot see a full set of slat armour being effective/practical in a woodland environment (which probably explains why I can't find anything). Nonetheless, the tank is already assembled (minus slats) and mostly painted, so I may as well finish what I started

Does anyone know if a camouflage pattern would be used on the slat armour, or would it just be painted in the base colour of the vehicle (in my case, NATO Green)? The military members of my family are all infantry, and served before we got our current Leo 2s so they have been unable to give me any leads.

I am very much an amateur to the world of modelling, and my paint schemes are generally a combination of "Oh, that looks cool!" and historical plausibility, rather than complete historical accuracy.

Thanks in advance!
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 - 05:44 AM UTC
The images I've found using Google image search suggest that the slat armor is painted separately in the base color and then mounted on the vehicle; in some cases, it appears that 'base color' wasn't always followed -- this image, this image, and this image appear to have desert yellow slats and mounting hardware over a temperate camouflage job, although there's enough dust on the horizontal surfaces in the first image to make it a good match from that angle. (The other two images are from Canadian Leopard 2A6M CAN in Afghanistan – Model Foto Focus by Trackpad Publishing, which has a chapter on the 2A6 CAN with slat armor and one specifically on the final slat armor version
 _GOTOTOP