_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Filters
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 04:05 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on Armorama.com
I have several questions referring filters (this technique was described by MIG on Missing Lynx):
1/ Should filters be applied before- or after aplying wash?
2/ Is there a sense of applying filters if the veicle will be covered with dust?
3/ What is the right combination of filters' colours for NATO 3-tone camouflage?

Thanks in advance,

Michal
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 05:16 PM UTC
Welcome Michal

Quoted Text

I have several questions referring filters (this technique was described by MIG on Missing Lynx):
1/ Should filters be applied before- or after aplying wash?
2/ Is there a sense of applying filters if the veicle will be covered with dust?
3/ What is the right combination of filters' colours for NATO 3-tone camouflage?

I started using filters couple of projects ago, but still haven't mastered it completely. First time it happened it was a complete accident during a washing procedure and I kind of liked it... Since then I have tried to make that subtle changes in color a common practice in the painting. As I understood it is a "whole model wash" with a different color than the base coat to give the model a very subtle change of the original color. I think the filters sould be applied before the wash and, of course if you want to dust the model, before doing that too. As for the NATO scheme, I can't really help you cause I haven't done nothing of the sort, but you could look at Missing Linx website for a nice article by MIG about rain marks. This technique is very appealing for NATO scheme vehicles...

Hope I helped a bit,
Mario M.

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 06:37 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

Welcome to this wonderful site. I am glad that you had asked the question that also bothers me too. I read the article a couple times and still don't quite how it should work, I am sure there is someone here whom can give a more step by step explain. Thanks in advance!

Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am sure there is someone here whom can give a more step by step explain.

OK, here is what I do (and how I understood MIG's article)... Perhaps I should stress that I work with Humbrol enamels...

After applying the base coat to the vehicle I do the filters. The filter is very simmilar to the wash, as I understand it. But, the difference is that the filter is applied to the whole vehicle, not just to the recesed areas. Filter can be of various colors (not necessery in the darker base color; I believe MIG explained some rust red/orange and green filters made to the sand colored vehicle) and it should differ the base color very slightly... For instance I made IDF vehicles using the same base color, but each vehicle received a different filter (greenish, greyish and I have to try bluish, too) and the color change is very subtle... So, thin down the desired color more than you would thin the color for the wash (I prefer to repeat the procedure if I want more change in the color, than to make just one heavy filter) and apply the filter to the whole vehicle. I use the brush and carefully spread the filter on the one area at the time... Let it dry for couple of days and then you can repeat the procedure or continue to the wash.

This is what I do. It is not a simple job, with many things that could do wrong. I have never made a filter that I was completely satisfied with. What I can suggest is to make a bigger amount of filter than you thought you'll use, cause if you don't cover the whole vehicle with one mixture, it is very difficult to get exactly the same consistency of the filter the next time you do it. Something more, as you use up the filter it somehow gets heavier (meaning there is more color in the thinner than before). I can't really explain why is this happening...

As you can see, I'm no expert in this and it is still a matter of trial and error for me. But, perhaps you have understood some of my babble and really I hope I haven't confused you.

Mario M.

MichalBT
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 10:04 PM UTC
Hi,

Thanks for warm greetings J
Mario- your suggestions are very helpful- I’m sure I will follow them. For sure I will contact you when I start construction of Merkava IID SupArm.

Regards,

Michal
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mario- your suggestions are very helpful- I’m sure I will follow them. For sure I will contact you when I start construction of Merkava IID SupArm.

No problems, feel free to drop me a Private Message when you need help.

Actually, I have started to use filters on my figures and I'm very satisfied with that. I can control the filter much better on such a small area... And it gives an uniform a faded look.

Mario M.

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Something more, as you use up the filter it somehow gets heavier (meaning there is more color in the thinner than before). I can't really explain why is this happening...

Mario M.

Mario,

Do you think your wash may get "heavier" because your paint is coming out of solution with the thinner you are using? So as you continue to use the wash, the heavier paint pigment is settling to the bottom of the paint bottle.

I often use an all-over wash to tint my base color. I too have read Mig's article but had been doing this before it was posted (not trying to say I invented the technique or am as good a Mig ) and it seemed like a pretty straight forward and obvious way to help weather the base coat.

Be careful that you don't go too dark with an all-over wash. Use lots of thinner and go gradually.

Depending on what thinner you use, you need to look out for marks from evaporation as well.

Steve
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you think your wash may get "heavier" because your paint is coming out of solution with the thinner you are using?

Yes I thought about that... I believe this is the case.

Quoted Text

I often use an all-over wash to tint my base color. I too have read Mig's article but had been doing this before it was posted (not trying to say I invented the technique or am as good a Mig )

Yes, I actually had an accident with a wash once and found out that all-vehicle "wash" works well to change the base color just a bit. Later, I have read the MIG's book and learned he calls that technique "filter"... So, filter it is...

Mario M.

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 11:21 AM UTC
So basicly all vehicle wash right? :-) I have done this. I use it everytime when I think my tank looked too bright and new... #:-)
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 02:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So basicly all vehicle wash right? :-)

Right, that's how I do it... But as I've said a bit more thinner to the fIlter...

Mario M.

MichalBT
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 02:48 PM UTC
Hi,

1/
Yesterday I did several tests on my "experimental" M-113. And I'm quite happy with results :-) But I did small modification of filters' technique- I found that different colours- even the same brand acrylics absorb different ammount of filter. So to avoid it- first I covered the surface with thin layer clear matt. I used for it acrylics- so mineral filter couldn't dissolve it.

2/
Mario- I had completely another problem with heavy dissolved paint. When I was applying wash to my model- I found that after some time the wash became lighter. But the reason was simply- pigments (in dissolved with thinner paint in can) were falling down

3/
I apply wash to all surfaces of my model, too. I started using this technique after reading Japanese Armour Modelling Again before starting- I cover surface with clear acrylics- but this time gloss.

Regards,

Michal
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 10:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yesterday I did several tests on my "experimental" M-113. And I'm quite happy with results :-)

Glad you did good. If you have some pics, I'd like to see them. Although now that I think of it, I'm shure that computer images would distort the color...

Quoted Text

I apply wash to all surfaces of my model, too. I started using this technique after reading Japanese Armour Modelling

You can read Japanese? Man, that is cool

Mario M.

MichalBT
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hi,

I think I will be able to send you photos soon. My new digital camera soon will leave US (the old one was stolen in one of armour museums in Poland Also I'm thinking about writing an article about modelling Leopard 2A5 with MILES

According Armour Modelling- I can read only English captions :-)

Michal
 _GOTOTOP