_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
E25 ( Stug III and Stug IV replacment
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 02:58 AM UTC
I just picked up Trumpeter's E25 and im in need of some advice from the German armor experts from all that I read on the Entwicklungsfahrzeug ( Standard Panzer) the E- Series would have become opeerational had the war last another year
2 or 3 E-10 prototypes were being built and a hull of a E-100
was built
now here is where I need the advice the paint scheme trumpeter gives you im sure is just a guess I would like to put mine in a operational scheme.
Iv seen 6 different schemes on late to end of the war Tigers and Panthers
any help will be apprieciated
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 03:16 AM UTC
Base coat olive-grun, with dunkelgelb and/or rotbraun disruptive pattern is a good starting point.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Base coat olive-grun, with dunkelgelb and/or rotbraun disruptive pattern is a good starting point.

and for the road wheels?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 05:31 AM UTC
Base coat means the factory finish. All major external parts (including wheels, sprockets, etc) are factory painted. Late war orders were to switch to olive-grun base. Although since this is what-if, bordering on fantasy, you could use any color(s) you wish.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Base coat means the factory finish. All major external parts (including wheels, sprockets, etc) are factory painted. Late war orders were to switch to olive-grun base. Although since this is what-if, bordering on fantasy, you could use any color(s) you wish.

I think ill do a variation of the octopus scheme
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 09:09 AM UTC
Nick G.:

For whatever little any of this could be worth, given as the E-25 was indeed proposed and possibly partially-built as a prototype at war's end, and conceivably could have gone into some limited production sometime in 1946 if conditions permitted...

It seems that Olive-grun had become the new regulation AFV base-coat in 9145 - and may have continued in effect into '46, so seems a likely starting place. But consider that paint shortages may well have simply become more marked over time even had the Reich continued to fight into '46... So I imagine that hulls may have left the assembly plants wearing OG only on upper surfaces, and perhaps rot-oxide primer on lowers... And factory camo schemes may well have gone away, as they simply take up time, and delay getting vehicles into action.

Recall that the Germans had a long-established pattern of field and crew-applied camo (back to 1934 and the Bundfarben-Anstrict schemes of the late Reichswehr days)... And I think it quite plausible that "Panzer-46" stuff would have likely continued / reverted to that pattern... And unit and crew-applied camo could well have reflected all manner of imagination, ego and emotion, sporadic and localized command decisions, unit pride, etc... As indeed it did from 1941 through May '45.

So... available green, brown, dunkelgelb paints may well have been individualistically used by units and crew - resulting in a range of vehicle schemes - from no added colors (so OG uppers or maybe entire hulls w/ OG solid wheels) to virtually any combo of rot-oxide lowers, maybe RO wheels, maybe one camo colour in spots, stripes, lines, to complex and more-complete tri- and 4-colour camo on uppers. Some wheels may have received a solid camo colour - so a mix of coloured wheels seems reasonable. A really camo-minded crew may have diligently and comprehensively done up their steed, with patterns onto wheels, etc. A harried,crew may have simply slopped one color onto some surfaces and called "done!" with it.

Frankly, the options seem open and wide, Nick! I have one of these E-25 kits, and am thinking of doing it with a "urban-area nachtjager" scheme done in greys, black, and maybe dark brown with some angularity to reflect "buildings and rubble". But hey! Probably any scheme could be "right" for this bird!

Model on and have fun with it! Bob
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 01:25 PM UTC
I did mine in the "late war" dunkelgelb, resedagrun and rotbraun colours in an improvised disc scheme inspired by a photo of German soldiers "painting" a PzIV with rags wrapped around bundles of straw. I used cotton buds to simulate this. Swapped the gun barrel for a BK7,5 barrel with the long muzzle brake and added applique armour around the shot trap under the mantlet.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nick G.:

For whatever little any of this could be worth, given as the E-25 was indeed proposed and possibly partially-built as a prototype at war's end, and conceivably could have gone into some limited production sometime in 1946 if conditions permitted...

It seems that Olive-grun had become the new regulation AFV base-coat in 9145 - and may have continued in effect into '46, so seems a likely starting place. But consider that paint shortages may well have simply become more marked over time even had the Reich continued to fight into '46... So I imagine that hulls may have left the assembly plants wearing OG only on upper surfaces, and perhaps rot-oxide primer on lowers... And factory camo schemes may well have gone away, as they simply take up time, and delay getting vehicles into action.

Recall that the Germans had a long-established pattern of field and crew-applied camo (back to 1934 and the Bundfarben-Anstrict schemes of the late Reichswehr days)... And I think it quite plausible that "Panzer-46" stuff would have likely continued / reverted to that pattern... And unit and crew-applied camo could well have reflected all manner of imagination, ego and emotion, sporadic and localized command decisions, unit pride, etc... As indeed it did from 1941 through May '45.

So... available green, brown, dunkelgelb paints may well have been individualistically used by units and crew - resulting in a range of vehicle schemes - from no added colors (so OG uppers or maybe entire hulls w/ OG solid wheels) to virtually any combo of rot-oxide lowers, maybe RO wheels, maybe one camo colour in spots, stripes, lines, to complex and more-complete tri- and 4-colour camo on uppers. Some wheels may have received a solid camo colour - so a mix of coloured wheels seems reasonable. A really camo-minded crew may have diligently and comprehensively done up their steed, with patterns onto wheels, etc. A harried,crew may have simply slopped one color onto some surfaces and called "done!" with it.

Frankly, the options seem open and wide, Nick! I have one of these E-25 kits, and am thinking of doing it with a "urban-area nachtjager" scheme done in greys, black, and maybe dark brown with some angularity to reflect "buildings and rubble". But hey! Probably any scheme could be "right" for this bird!

Model on and have fun with it! Bob

I decided to put my E25 in overall olive with brown squigly lines and painted one road wheel and one drive sprocket red oxide primer
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 05:21 PM UTC
 _GOTOTOP