Hosted by Darren Baker
Crewmen for Swedish 'S' Tank
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 03:28 PM UTC
I'm looking for some figures to man my Trumpeter 1/35 Strv-103 'S' Tank. I know MAIM has a two figure set for the new CV-90. Would they be appropriate for the older 'S' as well? Are there any other options available to me? Would West German or US tankers work for example? Any help would be appreciated. Al
leopard122
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 05:35 PM UTC
No they are not suitible for strv 103 , i did my military duty the last year they had strv 103 and they was not allowed to have the dress with m-90 then, atleast on my regiment and the tank helmet is not the same i think we had the older version still then...c
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No they are not suitible for strv 103 , i did my military duty the last year they had strv 103 and they was not allowed to have the dress with m-90 then, atleast on my regiment and the tank helmet is not the same i think we had the older version still then...c

Thank you, Hakan. I appreciate the response. Still wondering if I can use some other army's figures. Maybe with a little modification. Al
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 11:35 PM UTC
Al,

I believe that the Swedes used the British crew helmet from the 70s known (variously) as a Bonedome or even "Dan Dare helmet" (after a comic book space hero).

As far as I'm aware the only figures sporting this are the Accurate Armour set "Modern British CVR(T) Crew". Annoyingly perhaps, only 2 (of the 3) are wearing the helmet and one of those is depicted wearing a Combat Cap underneath:

https://accurate-armour.com/aa-products/135th-figures/fs03

however, these might be the only game in town. The contours of the helmet are notably different from the earlier US helmet although I suppose a bit of judicious sanding etc might just work in this scale.

'Hope this helps.

Brian
leopard122
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thank you, Hakan. I appreciate the response. Still wondering if I can use some other army's figures. Maybe with a little modification. Al

ä

The uniform the swedish s-tank crew use is Pansarmodell M-69 , here is a link to the swedish tank uniforms..
https://www.sphf.se/svenskt-pansar/uniformer/
Look at the uniform that say 1969 there you see it, and the swedish old tank helmet.. These dress they had atleast to 1994, hope it's little help
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 12:53 AM UTC
Would the figure from the old, non-desert, Tamiya Challenger be a decent starting point?

I think I have that fig in the stash leftovers (if I can put my hands on it) if you wanted to give it a shot.

Mike
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would the figure from the old, non-desert, Tamiya Challenger be a decent starting point?

I think I have that fig in the stash leftovers (if I can put my hands on it) if you wanted to give it a shot.

Mike

Mike,

I'm pretty sure the figure with the Chally 1 comes with the later crew helmet; looking at the link Hakan provided above, the Swedish version looks slightly different from the British Bonedome, but perhaps in 1:35 the differences aren't too noticeable, therefore perhaps, the Accurate Armour figures may still fit the bill.

Brian
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 01:32 AM UTC
These pics are from the book "Strv 103 Photo guide", by the Swedish Armor Historical society.

Uniform 69P with helmet model 1

Uniform 90P with helmet model 2

The 1970/80s British afv helmet looks similar, but not the same.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world-steel-helmets/british-f-v-crewman-helmet-431006/

Accurate Armour sells a set with one
https://accurate-armour.com/aa-products/135th-figures/page/4
(Set FS03 Modern British CVR(T) crew )

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Marc
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 01:45 AM UTC
Gotcha, not sure how far down the rabbit hole you wanted to go carving on a figure.
Maybe the head of the ancient Tamiya M113 driver or the newer ACAV kit's commander could be a starting place?

AA figures are of course closer and a better molding/casting quality anyway.

TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike

Thanks for the info. That figure does look like it would work. Might need a little modification, but definitely a good place to start. Have to check my stash, had that kit at one time. Not sure If I kept it though. Al
 _GOTOTOP