_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
MiniArt: Totenkopf Division
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 11:32 PM UTC

Up next from MiniArt is a figure set depicting soldiers from the 3. SS-Panzerdivision "Totenkopf" in heavy winter clothing.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 11:41 PM UTC
Since there is no trace on any of the figures of the Totenkopf collar patch, they will do just as well for any SS Division up until May 1945, Kowel, Narva, Budapest WHY.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 12:01 AM UTC
Is it just me or do I see potential for some Bundesgrenschutz conversions here?
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 12:55 AM UTC
Good looking figures, nice relaxed poses. But what's up with the big seam down the middle of their helmets? Just seems that if it were a mold line that the builder would of removed it. OR, is it some style of helmet I've never seen before. Hmmm.....
Charby
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But what's up with the big seam down the middle of their helmets? Just seems that if it were a mold line that the builder would of removed it. OR, is it some style of helmet I've never seen before. Hmmm.....

If you look carefully, you'll see mold seams on all of the equipment. They simply took the equipment straight off the sprues from their recent German Infantry Equipment set to illustrate the poses of the figures.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 05:55 AM UTC
A great figure set that I will pick up a few of.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 06:46 AM UTC
Yes, I see some seam lines but the detail on these figures are top-notch for a plastic!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Up next from MiniArt is a figure set depicting soldiers from the 3. SS-Panzerdivision "Totenkopf" in heavy winter clothing.

Read the Full News Story

Thanks!

Very Nice; I suppose that these guys could fit very nicely into a "Battle of the Bulge" dio as well..(?) I dunno, as I'm no expert when it comes to SS Winter Uniforms, so please correct me if I'm wrong... I may even pick up a set of these thugs in order to place them on one of my (ahem) Tigers or Panthers...

And now, I'm going to out with a short toot of my battered US/Allied Horn:

MORE GIs AND TOMMIES, PLEASE!!! It would be very nice to have a few sets of ACCURATE GI and Tommy "Tank Riders", preferably in "Summer, 1944 in the Bocage" attire- And I don't mean "Para" Tank Riders, either. It's PAST TIME that the "Regulars" got a chance for fame...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good looking figures, nice relaxed poses. But what's up with the big seam down the middle of their helmets? Just seems that if it were a mold line that the builder would of removed it. OR, is it some style of helmet I've never seen before. Hmmm.....

That's the M1944 1/2 "Scheisskopf" model...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But what's up with the big seam down the middle of their helmets? Just seems that if it were a mold line that the builder would of removed it. OR, is it some style of helmet I've never seen before. Hmmm.....

If you look carefully, you'll see mold seams on all of the equipment. They simply took the equipment straight off the sprues from their recent German Infantry Equipment set to illustrate the poses of the figures.

You know, I see more and more negative commentary on various modeling sites, (such as THIS ONE), about having to remove a few mold seams...

WHAT GIVES??? Are we reeeally getting that spoiled as to grumble about a few measly little MOLD SEAMS?!?

C'MON! Are we really MODELERS OR AREN'T WE???
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 07:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WHAT GIVES??? Are we reeeally getting that spoiled as to grumble about a few measly little MOLD SEAMS?!?

Dennis, I think the intent of the comment was around, 'if you are a manufacturer, wouldn't it be better to show your wares in the best possible light, rather than with seam lines, shavings, burrs, etc, still showing?' To be honest, they are quite noticeable to a modeller's eye; they draw the attention away from the detail itself.

BootsDMS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Read the Full News Story

Thanks!

Very Nice; I suppose that these guys could fit very nicely into a "Battle of the Bulge" dio as well..(?) I dunno, as I'm no expert when it comes to SS Winter Uniforms, so please correct me if I'm wrong... I may even pick up a set of these thugs in order to place them on one of my (ahem) Tigers or Panthers...

MORE GIs AND TOMMIES, PLEASE!!! It would be very nice to have a few sets of ACCURATE GI and Tommy "Tank Riders", preferably in "Summer, 1944 in the Bocage" attire- And I don't mean "Para" Tank Riders, either. It's PAST TIME that the "Regulars" got a chance for fame...

Dennis,

I would gave thought that the Miniart British Tank Riders set would fit the requirement for Brits in the Bocage c.1944. I admit I haven't got a set but they look pretty good to me. They do need small packs fitting but they're readily available elsewhere (accessory sets) and perhaps add the odd sling or 2, but otherwise they look OK.

Brian
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 08:49 AM UTC
Great looking set, alright; looking pass the seam lines, shavings, etc. And, these anoraks come in Italian three colour camouflage, too. Nicely done, MiniArt.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 09:30 AM UTC
definitely going on my Wish List
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It would be very nice to have a few sets of ACCURATE GI and Tommy "Tank Riders", preferably in "Summer, 1944 in the Bocage" attire.

You mean these from MiniArt?

I swear, Dennis, you're never satisfied.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dennis, I think the intent of the comment was around, 'if you are a manufacturer, wouldn't it be better to show your wares in the best possible light, rather than with seam lines, shavings, burrs, etc, still showing?' To be honest, they are quite noticeable to a modeller's eye; they draw the attention away from the detail itself.

OK, I'll agree with what you've just said, but I don't think that running a bit of sandpaper over a few mold/seam lines is anything to have a hemorrhage over. For example, if you remember the various resin WARRIORS "Heads" sets, MANY of them came with very unsightly "pour plugs" attached right to the TOPS of their "heads", "hats", "caps" or "helmets", that had to be VERY CAREFULLY removed and then trimmed/filed/sanded to their proper shapes. Their faces and expressions were superb, but... Then there were the various resin VERLINDEN "Heads", Figures and "Accessories" sets, which ofttimes had mold/casting seams running right down the CENTERS OF THEIR FACES. Ahh, the memories bring nostalgic tears to my eyes...

So MINIART might have "goofed" on this one; SO WHAT..? A few mold/seam lines aren't anywhere near as serious as some of the DOWNRIGHT IDIOTIC MISTAKES that SOME plastic kit manufacturers have foisted upon us all!!!

Has ANYONE, (including myself), considered the possibility that this particular kit in this initial review just MIGHT have been a "pre-production" set? It's happened before with MINIART as well as with other manufacturers in the past, even recently... Maybe MINIART had molding problems. Back in the '70s I worked in a plastic molding firm for a few months between jobs when I was still in the Automotive Business. I learned that plastic injection molding machines can be a bit temperamental at times, and then too, different plastics from different sources can lead to no end of problems in the molding processes. And RESIN molding/casting? Well...

In any case, mold/casting seams etc, don't bother THIS old curmudgeon...

THIS IS PRECISELY why we have hobby knives, files, sanding sticks, and sand & emery paper of every grit, size, color and description made available to us...

Again, are we modelers or aren't we..?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Read the Full News Story

Thanks!

Dennis,

I would gave thought that the Miniart British Tank Riders set would fit the requirement for Brits in the Bocage c.1944. I admit I haven't got a set but they look pretty good to me. They do need small packs fitting but they're readily available elsewhere (accessory sets) and perhaps add the odd sling or 2, but otherwise they look OK.

Brian

Hi, Brian!

OK, there is that particular set of Tommies, but couldn't we use MORE of them in different poses? I for one would LOVE to have them- Bring 'em on! And DITTO for GI Tank Riders. There are quite a few WWII photos that show at least a DOZEN Tommies or GIs piled onto a single Tank at one time, and in a whole range of different US/Allied Tanks, AFVs and Soft-skins to boot! Wouldn't it be nice to have whole ranges of "candid" US/Allied Troops to fill all of those wonderful US/Allied Trucks/Lorries, Troop Carriers and APCs that we have to choose from..?

As I said in my first post in this little discussion, "MORE GIs and TOMMIES, PLEASE!!!"
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 10:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since there is no trace on any of the figures of the Totenkopf collar patch, they will do just as well for any SS Division up until May 1945, Kowel, Narva, Budapest WHY.

IMO, there is a great preponderance of 1/35 German WWII HEER and SS out there already, and not enough representation of US/Allied Troops, who ACTUALLY DID do some fighting in order to WIN that stupid war...
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

IMO, there is a great preponderance of 1/35 German WWII HEER and SS out there already, and not enough representation of US/Allied Troops.

Perhaps one reason is that, comparatively-speaking, the German kit of post-1943 is often more-varied than the Allied kit. There ARE subtle differences between say, US paras landing on D-Day and those in 1944 (mostly slash pockets on their blouses), while Germans, especially in Winter, have an abundance of gear, both issued and "field modified." These chaps pictured on the new box art have fleece "hoodies," puffy pants, and Winter boots. Very different from the standard Fall or Summer clothing issue.

MiniArt is at the forefront of a revolution in styrene figures, and should be commended for their out-STANDING quality. This set needs nothing except slings (plus a little modeling removing the seam lines ).
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 11:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It would be very nice to have a few sets of ACCURATE GI and Tommy "Tank Riders", preferably in "Summer, 1944 in the Bocage" attire.

You mean these from MiniArt?

I swear, Dennis, you're never satisfied.

Hi, Bill!

!!!

Seriously ( ), I like to use all caps when I refer to the different model manufacturers and I also like to use them for EMPHASIS. When I said "ACCURATE" GIs and Tommies, I MEANT "accurate" in appearance, because there are so many GIs and Tommies in plastic AND resin that aren't COMPLETELY ACCURATE- Are we all confused, yet..?

Disclaimer: I in no way meant ACCURATE ARMOUR, the resin model manufacturer, or the now-defunct ACCURATE MINIATURES, nor did I intend to single out MINIART, (the way THEY spell it), as the sole contender in the 1/35 WWII US/Allied Figure Market...

ALL 1/35 Figure-makers are EQUALLY GUILTY in not giving us more GIs, Tommies, Diggers, Kiwis, Desert Rats, Ghurkas, Poles, Danes, Norwegians, Free French, Maquis, and yes, Russians as well. Even the availability of 1/35 WWII Russian Soldiery, who fielded THE largest numerical Armies, are ECLIPSED by all of the HIGHLY REPETITIVE pointing German WWII people, Tigers and Panthers in 1/35 scale...

I'm never satisfied..? There are reasons why I'm never satisfied, all of them valid. Didn't I say that I'm an old curmudgeon..?

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 12:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

IMO, there is a great preponderance of 1/35 German WWII HEER and SS out there already, and not enough representation of US/Allied Troops.

Perhaps one reason is that, comparatively-speaking, the German kit of post-1943 is often more-varied than the Allied kit. There ARE subtle differences between say, US paras landing on D-Day and those in 1944 (mostly slash pockets on their blouses), while Germans, especially in Winter, have an abundance of gear, both issued and "field modified." These chaps pictured on the new box art have fleece "hoodies," puffy pants, and Winter boots. Very different from the standard Fall or Summer clothing issue.

MiniArt is at the forefront of a revolution in styrene figures, and should be commended for their out-STANDING quality. This set needs nothing except slings (plus a little modeling removing the seam lines ).

Hi, Bill!

While I'll admit that there is quite a variety in German post-1943 equipment, the same can be said for pre-1943 equipment, as well. I, for one have built quite an array of pre-1943 German equipment- Personally, of all the German WWII Tanks, I prefer the earlier types, namely the Pz.Kpfw.I Ausf.A right on up to and including the very last Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.Js and their derivatives. Also, I put a lot of my stock into the Pz.Kpfw.38(t) and anything that was built on that chassis. The Pz.38(t)-types and their derivsatives and the Pz.III and THEIR derivatives are my favorites in German WWII Armor. You'll have to admit Bill, all of THAT stuff covers a PRETTY BROAD area. German Half-Tracks, Motorcycles and Soft-skins? I have at LEAST one of every type, and in many cases, two or three of them. Not to mention a whole BOATLOAD of the little men in Feldgrau. I DON'T just build Shermans and GIs... I'll have no inhibitions in admitting and agreeing with you that MINIART is ABSOLUTELY THE LEADER in the 1/35 PLASTIC Figure market.

Now, having said that, I feel that my huffing and puffing about the comparative LACK of WWII US/Allied Soldiery IS ENTIRELY WARRANTED...

Now folks, if you will go back to your references and LOOK CLOSELY, US GIs, British Tommies and our various other Allied friends WERE NOT all cut out of the same cookie cutter and sprayed US Olive Drab or British Khaki. These men were ALL individuals, and EACH ONE of them looked a little bit, (or a lot), different from each other.

There are a GREAT variety of shades to work with when we're only speaking about Olive Drab. For instance, NO TWO M4s were ever seen in EXACTLY the same shade of OD or loaded up with exactly the same stowage or other like trash- Now just take another few minutes to take a look at the different British and US camouflage schemes that were applied to M3 Lee/Grants, M4s & M4A1s, Sherman Is, IIs, IIIs, Valentines, Matildas, Crusaders, M3 Stuart/Honeys and all the rest of the US/Allied Equipment IN NORTH AFRICA ALONE... Then, we have the MTO/ETO color schemes...

That US/Allied "color-sameness" B.S DOES NOT WASH WITH ME, because it is nothing more than a contrived fallacy, and IMO, entirely too many individuals have swallowed that rotten old fish "hook, line and sinker"...
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 03:36 PM UTC
Excellent set that is very useful for the winters of 44 and 45. Lots of different camo options with these. As for everything else here, if you're so invested that you find yourself having emotional reactions to these news posts, you're suffering and will likely continue to do so. Breathe. This is scale modelling.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is a GREAT variety of shades to work with when we're only speaking about Olive Drab. For instance, NO TWO M4s were ever seen in EXACTLY the same shade of OD or loaded up with exactly the same stowage or other like trash-

Dennis, if my choice on Allied FIGURES is about shades of OD, then you've lost my interest (and I suspect the interest of 80-90% of most modelers).

Quoted Text

Now just take another few minutes to take a look at the different British and US camouflage schemes that were applied to M3 Lee/Grants, M4s & M4A1s, Sherman Is, IIs, IIIs, Valentines, Matildas, Crusaders, M3 Stuart/Honeys and all the rest of the US/Allied Equipment IN NORTH AFRICA ALONE... Then, we have the MTO/ETO color schemes...

We're talking FIGURES, not vehicles. That's another thread I'm afraid.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 06:47 AM UTC
These are nice if only for the fact that they're wearing heavy winter clothing. But with all the cries for more Allied sets, I think troops from other armies get lost in the shuffle. What I'd really like to see is for MiniArt, Alpine, Paracel, Stalingrad, etc., to offer French, Finns, Chinese and especially Japanese IJA/IJN sets. After all, the war in the Far East & Pacific had been well underway before Sept 1939. So for six years of conflict, we probably have only six sets of IJA figures, and that includes those ancient ones from Tamiya. The recent increase in the releases of Japanese armor would seem to warrant some crews & troops to go with them.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 06:57 AM UTC
Jack, good points. Why don't you or Dennis start a thread about this topic? While the publisher will like the traffic these threads generate, I don't think it's fair to MiniArt to hijack partially the thread about their new offering. Feel me?
 _GOTOTOP