_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
Panzer Art: New Batch of Allied and Axis Figures
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 10:25 PM UTC

Panzer Art informed us on their latest figure releases. These 1/35 scale miniatures have been developed using 3D technology and are cast in resin.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
maartenboersma
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 764 posts
Armorama: 742 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 11:33 PM UTC
They (Tom and Jerry ) look good,
But i prefer to see actual resin figures than these computer created images.
Yankasippi
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 02:39 AM UTC
I bought one to check them out. There is an art to model figures that I have actually received a lesson on hands from THE master sculptor and the art of the hands does not appear here or on the one I received. These are more at home in a comic book (gothic novel) because most are ramrod straight and the faces lack any kind of emotion. (Too much botox?)
That is not to say they are no good. There is a niche for them but not in the actual artistic category, except for being cartoon art. I was a cartoonist for 32 years and I say this with experience, there is a place where cartoon is art. So I am not nocking them. But, since they are computer generated (if infact they are) and therefore mass produced. Therefore they cost far too much for me to buy another. They would be improved with better figure stance, no straight backs, except for the Queen's Own Guards at Buckingham Palace, and hiring a figure artist who understands what hands and faces should be to look artistic, and to render them in clay.
These are genuine criticisms, not meant to be destructive, but to show improvements that would help.
To be destructive in my criticism I would have written that they should be cast in flat green and gray and red and put in bags of 50 and should include a couple of 1/48 or 1/76 tanks. But I did not. This was just a knee jerk reaction due to the fact that I just had rotator cuff, can't build on anything for weeks and have taken pain killers cause this is a pig of a surgery!
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 04:53 AM UTC
A distinct lack of imagination here...if they had REALLY thought about it they would have done a GERMAN POINTING at the inevitable tea swilling brits....we did actually do other things than just drink tea you know....
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought one to check them out. There is an art to model figures that I have actually received a lesson on hands from THE master sculptor and the art of the hands does not appear here or on the one I received. These are more at home in a comic book (gothic novel) because most are ramrod straight and the faces lack any kind of emotion. (Too much botox?)
That is not to say they are no good. There is a niche for them but not in the actual artistic category, except for being cartoon art. I was a cartoonist for 32 years and I say this with experience, there is a place where cartoon is art. So I am not nocking them. But, since they are computer generated (if infact they are) and therefore mass produced. Therefore they cost far too much for me to buy another. They would be improved with better figure stance, no straight backs, except for the Queen's Own Guards at Buckingham Palace, and hiring a figure artist who understands what hands and faces should be to look artistic, and to render them in clay.
These are genuine criticisms, not meant to be destructive, but to show improvements that would help.
To be destructive in my criticism I would have written that they should be cast in flat green and gray and red and put in bags of 50 and should include a couple of 1/48 or 1/76 tanks. But I did not. This was just a knee jerk reaction due to the fact that I just had rotator cuff, can't build on anything for weeks and have taken pain killers cause this is a pig of a surgery!

I'll agree with everything that you've just said which is figure-related, with one leeetle addition:

HOW COME NO 1/35 WWII US GIs, US TANKERS, US MARINES or SAILORS?????

We NEED figures in different shapes and sizes, just like the way REAL humans look, NOT just a bunch of "Hollywood-types". FACIAL EXPRESSIONS, please...

I'm not going to compare my physical travails over the last two years with what you've just gone through- I will only say that it's been difficult.

I EMPATHIZE with you... Get well soon...
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 10:49 AM UTC
Geez...and here I was going to go on about how amazing these are, that they're like Live Resin's amazing stuff, etc. only to read that -apparently- they're TOO nice; when I think about the laughable and weird stuff that I've seen over the years that some have passed off as figures I have no words to put out there except to say, well, yes the two Brits are Hollywood handsome (so what?), but the German in the bibs & pipe is great and the rest are all figures I'd be honoured to use. Guess I won't have any problems ordering...
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 11:55 AM UTC
Frank, pay Dennis no mind. He's a constant crank about every announcement. Even when Allied figures ARE announced, he usually is lady-ing that there aren't ENOUGH Allied figures.

Give it a rest, Dennis. It's beyond annoying at this point and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who feels so.

And for my part, I'm thrilled to see such high quality, as I'm plain tired of the crude resin figures that hearken back to Verlinden ones.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 03:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Frank, pay Dennis no mind. He's a constant crank about every announcement. Even when Allied figures ARE announced, he usually is lady-ing that there aren't ENOUGH Allied figures.

Give it a rest, Dennis. It's beyond annoying at this point and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who feels so.

And for my part, I'm thrilled to see such high quality, as I'm plain tired of the crude resin figures that hearken back to Verlinden ones.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your assessments of my OPINIONS...

Other readers, please take note that it was not I that "fired the first round..."

In rebuttal, let me just say that I am NOT a "constant crank about every announcement", nor do I "even lady about US figures or equipment when they are released", except where certain details are concerned, i.e, details which I WOULD LIKE TO SEE. Have you taken over another "certain modeler's position" in criticizing people..? At least I have enough "social skills" to leave his name to the imagination, rather than go after him IN NAME. Read some of my other posts, and you just MAY find a lot of positive commentary besides my "lady-ing". Furthermore, in my opinion, let me just say that my opinions are just as valid as anyone else', including YOURS-

As to "crude resin figures that hearken, or, "harken", (according to Webster's Dictionary; either spelling is correct. Now, THIS is what I would call nit-picking... ), back to Verlinden":

Let me just point out that Francois Verlinden was one of the few figure-makers that pioneered in resin figure-making. Way back in the 1970s, when other figure-makers didn't even bother to take on the genres that Verlinden was offering, he and his company filled an important niche in military modeling. If memory serves, back in the 1950s right up into the late 1990s, figure-makers and model companies, and quite a few after the '90s, were producing some pretty darned CRUDE stuff. Let me also mention that there were/ARE quite a few people on this site which STILL "lady" about DRAGON, DRAGON's "BLACK LABEL" kits, and "DS Tracks"- WHERE, Bill, are your criticisms of THESE people..?
Gluefumes
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 12:31 AM UTC
I like these figures.
Got the anatomy right on curved shoulders for relaxed posture (top to bottom looking straight on).
Straight upright posture on Germans very upright square looking back due to arm position drawn back which squares the back. Shoulder blades in. As opposed to the sitting German with rounded shoulders. Shoulder blade affects how square or rounded the upper backs look. Nice touch shell holder right foot half step in process of lifting. Also the insignia has been over thick, probably done to assist in painting.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Furthermore, in my opinion, let me just say that my opinions are just as valid as anyone else', including YOURS-

The difference is, Dennis, I don't make it a habit to crap all over every announcement about non-Allied ______________ (fill in the blank). Give it a rest, Dennis!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 10:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Furthermore, in my opinion, let me just say that my opinions are just as valid as anyone else', including YOURS-

The difference is, Dennis, I don't make it a habit to crap all over every announcement about non-Allied ______________ (fill in the blank). Give it a rest, Dennis!

Hi, Bill!

Ever hear the old expression, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"..?

In polite terms, no, I'm not going to "give it a rest"... Maybe, just MAYBE one of the yahoos that runs one of the many plastic model companies just MIGHT pick up on what I'm saying; but more than likely, not...

I wish that I had a SINGLE DOLLAR for every time modelers on this site have "lady-ed" about "DRAGON-this" and "DRAGON-that", DRAGON's "BLACK PLAGUE-this" and "BLACK PLAGUE-that", not to mention DRAGON's "DS Tracks-this" and "DS Tracks-that"...

How is it that you don't "go after" those guys..?

Bill, do you remember the nice conversations that we had when BRONCO first released their 1/35 Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.A..? That was 2 or 3 years ago, before I became really ill. TIGER MODELS had just announced that they were going to release a resin "corrections set" for this kit, and we were BOTH anticipating buying these sets for our own respective Pz.III As. I mention this because I DO NOT only build US/Allied stuff; I only wish for more of it...

Looks like I can only "wish", because the WWII US/Allied stuff only comes out once or twice in a very great while...

I'm VERY happy to finally see TAKOM coming out with their new M46, but well, that's another war entirely...
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 12:48 PM UTC
Is it safe to come out yet? Dennis I get where you're coming from and more high-quality Allied figures would be nice; Hell I could use a few good "dog faces" without having to resort to replacing heads as is so often necessary. I've already told another builder friend of mine about the Brits and, while he found the tea mugs mildly amusing, really was thrilled by the crisp detail offered. We all get it Dennis, so please just leave it alone and we'll all be able to enjoy these discussions. Okay?
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 04:43 AM UTC
Dennis, calling the people who run the model companies "yahoos" is part of the problem with your "squeaky wheel gets the grease" claim. You can't insult people and then expect them to pay attention to you.

First of all, start a thread about your desires/concerns/problems with their offerings.

Just please stop hijacking EVERY thread about something German with "when will we get the Allied ____________ (fill in the blank)?" It's just OLD, OLD, OLD.

And in this case, the manufacturer IS bringing out Allied stuff! Amazing. Logic would make me think you'd be happy for once.

It's rude, disrespectful and frankly, boring. I do go after those who complain about the latest Dragon this or that. I don't like it when people hijack threads for personal reasons. But I don't come at them as hard as I'm coming for you right now because YOU NEVER GIVE IT A REST.

I'm sorry for your illness, I have had to deal with something very grave in my own life over the past year. And I DO respect your opinions.

Just not your social skills.

This is, after all, a discussion thread and not your own personal rant. Please try to bring some measure of dignity and restraint to these topics. I am not a moderator on this particular forum, but if I were, I would give you a warning and ask that you DIAL IT BACK.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dennis, calling the people who run the model companies "yahoos" is part of the problem with your "squeaky wheel gets the grease" claim. You can't insult people and then expect them to pay attention to you.

First of all, start a thread about your desires/concerns/problems with their offerings.

Just please stop hijacking EVERY thread about something German with "when will we get the Allied ____________ (fill in the blank)?" It's just OLD, OLD, OLD.

And in this case, the manufacturer IS bringing out Allied stuff! Amazing. Logic would make me think you'd be happy for once.

It's rude, disrespectful and frankly, boring. I do go after those who complain about the latest Dragon this or that. I don't like it when people hijack threads for personal reasons. But I don't come at them as hard as I'm coming for you right now because YOU NEVER GIVE IT A REST.

I'm sorry for your illness, I have had to deal with something very grave in my own life over the past year. And I DO respect your opinions.

Just not your social skills.

This is, after all, a discussion thread and not your own personal rant. Please try to bring some measure of dignity and restraint to these topics. I am not a moderator on this particular forum, but if I were, I would give you a warning and ask that you DIAL IT BACK.

WHAT! Do you actually think that I'm insulting these people by calling them "yahoos"? I've been called A LOT WORSE in my lifetime. As to "a measure of dignity and restraint", just WHERE have I insulted or derided anyone..? And you, Bill, can stop your schoolmaster-ish lecturing, if you please. I am not some brat that is disrupting a classroom...
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2019 - 07:41 AM UTC
Henceforth I'm hiding Dennis.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2019 - 08:29 AM UTC
Dennis I know your feelings about the lack of Allied figures and that 90% of WW2 releases tend to be German, and guess what for the most part I don't mind as your opinion is as valid as every other opinion. With that said bud please just tone it down a little as the replies you are making are sounding the same rather than constructive.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2019 - 12:40 AM UTC
Dragging this thread back (kicking and screaming!) to the original topic, has anyone seen photos of them "in the resin" yet? They do look good, if a little stiff and theatrical. The heads are cloned - they look like twins differentiated only by the moustache. I have to wonder if they are based on laser-scans of a real person in tanker gear, as that seems to be a trend now.

If there's any big flaw I can see it would be the ceramic tea mugs - surely these would be enamelled tin in the field?

[EDIT: I was only talking about the Brits - the German figs seem to use different head-models...]
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2019 - 01:46 AM UTC
I rather like all of these figures, but it is the British tankers that draw me the most due to a Cromwell on the boil. Please can someone advise me as to why these are North Africa as they look fine for the European theatre to me.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2019 - 03:32 AM UTC
I'm no expert, but the only thing I can suggest is they aren't in winter pixie-suits. Still, they should be OK for D-Day up to say Oct '44?
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2019 - 04:06 AM UTC
Thank you Tom as that is what I was thinking.
 _GOTOTOP