_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Weathering pencils
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 05:33 AM UTC
I see AK have now got sets of 5 weathering pencils for all sorts of weathering from dust to chips and scratches.
Not sure what to think,is it just another cash grab.
They retail for about £6.50 or $8.50.
I will stick with oils and acrylics.

There is a video on Youtube.
jekrott
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 485 posts
Armorama: 353 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 06:15 AM UTC
I saw that as well,looks interesting but I'm on the fence as well about getting any.I think I can spend my money in other ways.But I'm sure others will find them very useful.
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 07:59 AM UTC
Its a cash grab, as usual with everything Mig......I can go to the local arts & crafts store, in my case, several local ones, including Hobby Lobby, and go to the pencil & pen art section and buy Prismacolor pencils and/or pastel pencils or chalks to do the same damn thing, for a fraction of the cost.
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 09:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Its a cash grab, as usual with everything Mig.....

Um, except these are being released by AK Interactive, not Ammo by MIG....
bairdlander
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 - 02:38 PM UTC
After viewing I went and bought 36 watercolor pencils at dollar store...for $4..same thing as the overpriced ones
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 - 04:27 PM UTC
As others have said, get a mixed artists' set. I got a nice artist quality one for $20, which comes with a full set of charcoal and graphite pencils, chalks, pastels, smudging stick, charcoal and graphite sticks and water soluble coloured pencils. The graphite pencils are great for chipping, scratching abd metallic highlights - much easier than paint and you get extremely small scratches. Also you get good variation with all the different tones.
DrChopp
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 - 04:28 PM UTC
I too am not sold. I get people using graphite pencils for bare metal, but I [personally] can not see how pencil application is preferable to a brush. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing?
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 - 04:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As others have said, get a mixed artists' set. I got a nice artist quality one for $20, which comes with a full set of charcoal and graphite pencils, chalks, pastels, smudging stick, charcoal and graphite sticks and water soluble coloured pencils. The graphite pencils are great for chipping, scratching abd metallic highlights - much easier than paint and you get extremely small scratches. Also you get good variation with all the different tones.

Did you watch the video? They aren't just waxy artist pencils. I've used art pencils for chips and scratches, but they were hard and couldn't be blended. According to the video, they act more like passing and pastels than artist pencils.

Has
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 - 04:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I too am not sold. I get people using graphite pencils for bare metal, but I [personally] can not see how pencil application is preferable to a brush. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing?

Although I rarely buy every innovation, I do have one problem I think these pencils will help with. I find that when I try to paint chips and stuff, the result looks rounded, as if it's been done with a brush. So I'm looking to find a bit more control and accuracy than I can get with a brush.

I'll try one set. If it helps, I might get others. I don't think everything new is a " cash grab".

Gaz
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 - 05:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Did you watch the video? They aren't just waxy artist pencils. I've used art pencils for chips and scratches, but they were hard and couldn't be blended. According to the video, they act more like passing and pastels than artist pencils.

Has

That's why I have the mixed media set. Most of the pencils are not waxy, and many can be blended. It depends on the type and quality of stuff you're using. I avoid the oil pastels.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 - 10:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Has

this was my experience, too. I want to use them more because I see their value.

if folks say art store pencils are the same without trying the weathering pencils, how would they know the properties are equal?
CellarDweller21516
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2019 - 01:10 AM UTC
I don't think it's a cash grab...Earlier this week I ordered the complete set of pencils for 27 USD (37 Pencils I think it is) from AK directly...they have a 25% off everything for Black Friday and if you spend more than 180 euro you get FREE shipping...fast shipping...last year I placed a large order on the Monday before Thanksgiving and received my order the day after Thanksgiving...Spain to the US...Free shipping...less than a week...buying directly from AK is sooooo much cheaper than buying their stuff inside the US but you have to order 180 euro worth of stuff for free shipping...
CellarDweller21516
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2019 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Has

this was my experience, too. I want to use them more because I see their value.

if folks say art store pencils are the same without trying the weathering pencils, how would they know the properties are equal?

I second that
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2019 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...complete set of pencils for 27 USD ...

that's not a deal, it's a Steal!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2019 - 04:47 AM UTC
I'd just add one more thing in defense of these pencil sets over other "art store" sets-- it's very difficult to pick and choose colors from individual art store pencils, or from sets. This new set looks like its "maximized to be compatible" with other common military paint colors. The only really good "art store" pencil sets I've used in the past are equally or more expensive, everything else just seems too hard, or won't blend properly, then just disappears under a coat of flat varnish, so if these do the job, they look impressive. I especially like the "retractable lead" pencils-- as I'm always breaking the points on my Faber Castell and Berol pencils (which don't really do a good job anyway).
VR, Russ
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2019 - 03:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[/quote]this was my experience, too. I want to use them more because I see their value.

if folks say art store pencils are the same without trying the weathering pencils, how would they know the properties are equal?[/quote]

I second that[/quote]

I'm one of those "art store pencils" guys. I'm not wed to them, and I'm not saying that cheapo art pencils are "the cat's meow". I'm also not saying that the product being plumped doesn't work - far from; I'm pretty certain that it most likely DOES.

But I don't need to try it out to learn anything about it's "properties". All products have "properties" and all do things and have some limitations. I AM interested in what folks can do with the stuff - the RESULTS one can get from them. Are they much better than those I currently get from my art pencils, pigments, ground-up pastels and charcoals, etc.? I want to know if folks get effects that I might want but cannot get from the stuff I already buy and use. I use the cheapo artist pencils because they WORK for me and they are cost-effective for getting effects that I want. IF they didn't, I would still be looking around for something which other folks find DOES work to get the effects that I want but cannot currently get, and I would rush off to try out that something.

Of course, the effects that I seek may well be those which I can get from what I have - circular, but probably a more-common think and experience than many realize or perhaps admit to! What counts here, as in all such new product cases, is whether the new mouse-trap does something that the watching potential buyer may want and does not get from his current old m-t. To this point, I haven't seen that the new expensive product DOES offer me much - but that may be because I'm just not seeing some "new" effect that really calls. My current stuff allows some blending, provides about every detail effect (chipping, etc.) that I seek in a controllable and accurate manner, is easy to work with, yields pleasing-to-me results, and I know where to get them when I want at a reasonable price. Maybe, after enough users post enough neat and compelling results with this new product, I will see something that I currently cannot do with my old stuff. At which time, I might well look into buying the newer mouse-trap. Until then!

So, to the fans going for this new product-set: Hey! Maybe this is a great thing, and getting something for less is always attractive! PLEASE post some work and let me see what this new stuff leads to!

Just saying!

Cheers! Bob
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2019 - 06:16 PM UTC
For doing paint chips on Japanese aircraft 1/48th scale I have used silver pencils for that. Works great. Should work for a tank.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2019 - 08:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...PLEASE post some work and let me see what this new stuff leads to! …

rather than wait around for someone to post, youtube has a plethora of videos showing how these pencils are used and the results. if I thought you would actually watch them, i'd post links.

TANKSIMOM
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2019 - 08:53 PM UTC
I like the pencils for me easy, great and no smells i have the set

I use a water base oils paints for base weathering then the pencils use water to blend the colour.
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 01:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...PLEASE post some work and let me see what this new stuff leads to! …

rather than wait around for someone to post, youtube has a plethora of videos showing how these pencils are used and the results. if I thought you would actually watch them, i'd post links.

Please post some links
I watch a lot of YouTube videos for great tips and techniques.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Please post some links
I watch a lot of YouTube videos for great tips and techniques.

you can lead a modeler to youtube, but you can't make him think.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK0GcediTfRsVsedEpJkr8w
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 04:05 PM UTC

The AK pencils provide a good alternative to the normal chipping and weathering finishing sequences and it is down to personal preference and wallet.

The retractable pencils emphasize the chips and scratches pretty well. More control than a paintbrush because the pencil mark can be removed without too much difficulty.

I picked up the pencil multi pack up but have not used it. The pencils will be used on the current project below with large ares to detail.

I do like how AK have printed the different ways to use the pencils on the back of the pack.

With a good choice of colours to be used there are multiple options and it is a quick way of detailing. Used in conjunction with the oil paint and acrylic chipping.

http://planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9318

The retractable pencils had been used around certain areas of the turret stowage bins and the upper Hull.

Example images below.

It's early days but the product that AK market to the modeller works.
Just another way to excel your artistic talents.

Michael
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 12:55 AM UTC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rVo6ipN-M8&list=PLswKyja_xQfLNEIvtfFzUXgpqv2cZzjsv&index=3&t=0s
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2019 - 04:46 AM UTC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybt5-47o08k
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2019 - 05:15 AM UTC
Haven't used them yet but decided a bit of self indulgent buying during Black Friday sales day and got the complete set at a good price direct from AK. Even cheaper than buying in the UK. Plus with Brexit now confirmed I'm hedging my bets on supplies from outside the UK.

Certainly if the packaging and presentation is anything to go by then these are going to be very nice to use.
 _GOTOTOP