_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Amusing Hobby: French ARL44
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 08:44 PM UTC

New French ARL44 heavy tank from Amusing Hobby

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:12 PM UTC
Interesting, probably a WoT tie-in?

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

New French ARL44 heavy tank from Amusing Hobby

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Thank You, Carlos!

GREAT NEWS for the modelers who build the "other" stuff!!!
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 10:27 PM UTC
just to clarify, there were 60 built instead of 6. They've been working on it for several months now, I shared all of my research and measurements and photos at the beginning of the year. I'm truly excited, I have been researching this tank for almost 20 years to build one myself! I should add that if you want a true sign of love, have your wife agree that it makes sense to go to Paris (not a hard sell. . .), spend $400 in train tickets to go to Saumur, and then patiently stand there for two hours making notes while your idiot husband climbs all over a failed tank with tap measures and angle gauges. . .

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

just to clarify, there were 60 built instead of 6. They've been working on it for several months now, I shared all of my research and measurements and photos at the beginning of the year. I'm truly excited, I have been researching this tank for almost 20 years to build one myself! I should add that if you want a true sign of love, have your wife agree that it makes sense to go to Paris (not a hard sell. . .), spend $400 in train tickets to go to Saumur, and then patiently stand there for two hours making notes while your idiot husband climbs all over a failed tank with tap measures and angle gauges. . .

You're right- Your wife looks like she'd love to be walking down one of Paris' lovely streets or avenues, instead...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 11:33 PM UTC
That was a surprise!!
/ Robin
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 11:55 PM UTC
I love it.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Amusing Hobby (and Modelcollect) seems to do that. This is not their first WoT-related release; but at least this tank existed, so yay! Nobody can complain this time that it's a paper panzer.
MrHanky
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 02:01 AM UTC
Great news! I have waited very long time for this one. I have seen it with my own eyes in Saumur- this is huge beast!
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Amusing Hobby (and Modelcollect) seems to do that. This is not their first WoT-related release; but at least this tank existed, so yay! Nobody can complain this time that it's a paper panzer.

I think those of us who love rare tanks owe WoT a huge thank you for bringing so many gamers into an interest in rarer prototypes . I went to Saumur 6 years ago because at the time the idea that anyone would ever make a resin kit, never mind a plastic one, of this beast seemed silly. I look forward to painting this as a Heer '46 era tank in prewar French camouflage! And keeping my fingers crossed as I sent Amusing Hobby all my photos and measurements of the AMX-50 and A43 Black Prince as well. . .
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 05:17 AM UTC
Matt,
you're lucky enough not to have been caught by the museum staff on top of the ARL in Saumur. It is strictly forbidden. Fortunately for us, French armor modelers, they did not see you spying this state-of-the-art piece of French armor

I usually do modern vehicles only but will certainly do an exception for this one.

Olivier
JavierDeLuelmo
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 05:25 AM UTC
At least in Japan, Girls und Panzer has a lot to do with the current hype around ARL-44. The 3D-printed kit in 1/72 was warmly received and in 1/35 there have been quite a number of modellers scratchbuilding theirs.

Very happy to see this one in plastic, so many, many thanks to Matt and Amusing!
AMX-50 and Black Prince would be great too
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 06:50 AM UTC
I'm going to paraphrase myself-

As I said earlier: GREAT NEWS for the modelers who like to build the "other" stuff!!!

I may even get one for myself when I get around to it. The Conquerer is on my list, too...
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your wife is a saint Matt! This is such great news, I'm really looking forward to this one in addition to the Ram. Hopefully you are right about the AMX-50 and the A43 as well!
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think those of us who love rare tanks owe WoT a huge thank you for bringing so many gamers into an interest in rarer prototypes . I went to Saumur 6 years ago because at the time the idea that anyone would ever make a resin kit, never mind a plastic one, of this beast seemed silly.

I built the 1/72 Cromwell Models ARL - but I'm really tempted to do this one, too.

It's only money and time, right? It's not as if I had no other models in my stash
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 04:03 AM UTC
That this French "King Tiger" existed is amazing and that it didn't see post-war service unsurprising. Nonetheless a pretty neat subject for a build and I kind of like that "Post 1946" wehrmacht idea... ironic that the actual French military at that time was using left-over German Panthers & King Tigers.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt,
you're lucky enough not to have been caught by the museum staff on top of the ARL in Saumur. It is strictly forbidden. Fortunately for us, French armor modelers, they did not see you spying this state-of-the-art piece of French armor

I usually do modern vehicles only but will certainly do an exception for this one.

Olivier

LOL, I am just so bloody happy to see this thing happen!
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 03:23 PM UTC
I'd rather have an AMX-10P or a better AMX-VCI/VTT
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 - 12:26 AM UTC
So I got the kit and on early pass it looks quite good. I'll know better after I build the thing over the weekend; with the exception of the suspension this looks to be an extremely simple build. Amusing Hobby seems to have tried to minimize the part count while keeping detail. My only two discrepancies so far is the kit can use some armor texture and welds as the actual tank has a rather coarse finish. The only error I've found is insignificant to the modeller but they have reproduced the track bumps as rollers. It will look the same but adds a couple of parts to the count. The hull is a bloody work of molding art though!
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

Is that one piece, the whole hull?! Amazing engineering.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matt,

Is that one piece, the whole hull?! Amazing engineering.

It is one piece and it appears to be unwarped as well. Building will be the test but in the box it looks like they really nailed the sweet spot between an easy build and lots of detail.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 - 01:59 AM UTC

_GOTOTOP