_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Italeri: Kangaroo
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 07:12 PM UTC

Italeri re-issues its kit of this WWII armored personnel carrier -- a Canadian conversion that used the M7 Priest chassis as base.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 08:26 AM UTC
I built this one decades ago. Are those tracks the same boogie busters I had to deal with?
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 09:47 AM UTC
Worthless rerelease.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 10:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I built this one decades ago. Are those tracks the same boogie busters I had to deal with?

It says glueable tracks and the old ones were definitely NOT
glueable.
Even if the tracks are molded in some new material I would still
replace the rubber-rubbish.

The one I built decades ago threw a track after a year or so.
The kit almost fell over sideways from the force of the released track....
/ Robin
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 11:24 AM UTC
Think that I'll hold out for something issued this century, thank you...I just roll my eyes at every re-release of kits that are not updated in any way. I occasionally do what I call "nostalgia builds" but this one won't be in that category.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 09:25 PM UTC
The new tracks are soft and pliable. They glue with super glue. Take acrylic paint well and look alright for vinyl track. Live track doesn't sag and sometimes can even hover over return rollers. The things you learn doing track maintenance.

There were secrets to getting excellent results with the old Italeri stiff track. Boil them was one and put them on, then cool them and treat them like a finished link to link assembly. Or actually sit down and flex every joint. Once the vinyl was flexed it was nice pliable track. The secret to painting it was Floquil Rail road color lacquers.

But the rest hasn't changed since the mid 1980s. They put updates in the 38(t) kits and Pzkpfw IV but not the Allied side other than very tempting decals.

And it still has those American crewmen. Can't they add tin hats to the sprue to at least match the box art?

Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Think that I'll hold out for something issued this century, thank you...I just roll my eyes at every re-release of kits that are not updated in any way. I occasionally do what I call "nostalgia builds" but this one won't be in that category.

Or this millennium
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Or this millennium

Hard to believe it's been nineteen years already.

There's really no need to build anything released last century. By the same logic there's no reason to complain about re issues of older kits. Leave them in the past for those who are willing to build them.

Some of us have delicate feelings..
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 12:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Or this millennium

Hard to believe it's been nineteen years already.

There's really no need to build anything released last century. By the same logic there's no reason to complain about re issues of older kits. Leave them in the past for those who are willing to build them.

Some of us have delicate feelings..

I was "released" last millenium too ......
and I built that Kangaroo last millenium as well ....
still planning on replacing those tracks ....
/ Robin
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 - 04:59 AM UTC
Thank You, Tat!

Think I'll wait for one of the other manufacturers to come out with a Kangaroo featuring all-new tooling, instead...
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank You, Tat!

Think I'll wait for one of the other manufacturers to come out with a Kangaroo featuring all-new tooling, instead...

And maybe some actual British accessories as opposed to M1 Garand rifles and US mortar crew?
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 02:16 PM UTC
To add to reasons not to buy this is the glaringly obvious fact that the Vehicle is based on the Italeri M7 Priest Kit which is a late war Ford engined vehicle which was never supplied to the Commonwealth. No amount of decals will fix that
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 03:59 PM UTC
The kit is based on the radial engined M7, but, as said, a late version with the one piece nose and late VVSS. The M7B1, or Ford powered version, had the rear of the M4A3:

for reference only

None the less, by the time the late version arrived the Canadians had their own SP, the Sexton, and never used the late M7's as far as I know.

So far all the critiques are valid, but I had fun with it, back when it was all there was.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 09:16 PM UTC
This is a late production M7 with the radial engine. So to do one of the Defrocked priest kangaroos youd have to do some backdating as well as updating --

Or you could just convert a more recent kit like Academy or Dragon.

And you know, no one makes the M7B1 or M7B2 Priest in 1/35.

Did anyone notice the box top has metal Chevron track but the kit seems to include the smooth T51 track? The box art also has a nice crowd of Commonwealth soldiers I'd love to see in plastic.
 _GOTOTOP