_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Advice on creating this paint scheme?
studiocityslicker
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 06:36 AM UTC
Gents,
I'm finishing up my 1/35 Italeri Autoblinda, and doing some research for paint schemes I found this model on a Russian site.
Any of you experten have ideas on how I can do this one? I'm mostly an aircraft and Gundam guy.
Should I cut a whole bunch of masks for either the green or brown spots? I can do some very tight freehand with my Tamiya Superfine airbrush, but these look masked.
And the big question, how do I get the sand color in such fine and consistent width? Were they brush painted or?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Michael Smith

https://karopka.ru/community/user/16328/?MODEL=453104&p=2
studiocityslicker
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 06:41 AM UTC
Apologies if I didn't post the link correctly, haven't posted here in a long time!
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 07:46 AM UTC
Hi a Google translation of the text:
Painted using patafix masks, narrow stripes that separate the colors of camouflage painted with a brush. Chipped and pripylil(??) a little.

So, he uses masks and a brush....
HTH

Regards Alvaro
studiocityslicker
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 07:51 AM UTC
thank you sir!
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 08:04 AM UTC
You could always hand brush the two main colors and then with a fine brush or paint marker go over the joints between the colors.
Donald
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 08:36 AM UTC
Youre'welcome.

studiocityslicker
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 08:41 AM UTC
I may try that!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gents,
I'm finishing up my 1/35 Italeri Autoblinda, and doing some research for paint schemes I found this model on a Russian site.
Any of you experten have ideas on how I can do this one? I'm mostly an aircraft and Gundam guy.
Should I cut a whole bunch of masks for either the green or brown spots? I can do some very tight freehand with my Tamiya Superfine airbrush, but these look masked.
And the big question, how do I get the sand color in such fine and consistent width? Were they brush painted or?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Michael Smith

https://karopka.ru/community/user/16328/?MODEL=453104&p=2

Many WWII Vehicles, including this Autoblinda were camouflaged with the old "brush-painting technique". I've done it myself with very nice results. Give it a try on a "junker", first. PRACTICE is "key"...

Good Luck!
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 06:48 PM UTC
Given as the spots / patches are actually fairly large, it would be pretty easy to spray-paint the body with one color, and then mask for the second color (cover all of color #1 that you want to preserve as spots) and shoot #2 over the masks - #2 would actually become the vehicle "base coat", as you would carefully do ALL of the vehicle in this pass. This would easily yield you sharp-edged patches in 2 colors with a spray-paint finish. The lines between patches would be a step 3 slow-but-straight-forward brush-paint-job.

Alternatively, spray one color and then brush on patches of color #2 and brush on the separation lines. Or.... Spray the entire body with the "separation line color" as the base coat, and brush on the other 2 spot colors.

Not too hard, if you are patient and take a little time, to create these neat "delineated" schemes!

Given the scheme on the car, I would probably opt the first plan above.

IF you are doing a 3 - color patch scheme, you would spray the portions of the build where #1 spots occur with color #1, mask for #1 patches, spray #2 in #2 patch areas between #1 patches, mask for #2 patches, spray #3 over all the build as the vehicle base-coat, and pull off the #1 and 2 masks. This would leave you with sprayed patches in 3 colors. You would then brush on lines (or use marker for lines) if desired. It's actually FUN to do this! I'm about to do this 3-color biz on a T-55 build...

Cheers! Bob
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.. and pripylil(??)...

Припылил means to have applied some dust.
Patafix- a product of Uhu- is similar to Blue Tack.

HTH
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 03:40 AM UTC
To the original poster, I increased the size of the images you linked, and I note that the yellow lines, while looking perfectly uniform in 'actual size' on my screen, actually show some variation, similar to what you would expect from using a brush and hand painting. The builder DID do a really nice job, but the lines are not uniform, when you see 'em in a larger image.
Igorbc
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 101 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 04:01 AM UTC
I would rather spray all wehicle with dark yellow as a base coat and then I would use patafix or blue tack thin rolled to cower dark yellow net pattern and then sprayed green and rotbraun in order to avoid hand brushing of dark yellow lines.
studiocityslicker
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 04:26 AM UTC
Thanks, my plan is the overall coat, masking the spots, then the brush painting.
studiocityslicker
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 04:27 AM UTC
Thanks Angel!
studiocityslicker
Visit this Community