_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Dull coating over acrylic pigment and wash...
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - 02:01 PM UTC
Hello everyone, I was wondering if it would be ok to dullcoat over a wash of light sienna pigment, mixed with vallejo acrylic wash.

Would it just protect the dusty look, or would it deaden the dust look to where the effect would go away?

Thank you,
Eric
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - 03:06 PM UTC
I am also eager to hear a first hand experience response. I am interpreting "dullcoat" as a brand name Testor's paint product and not generic matte varnish.

I understand Testor's dullcoat to be lacquer base, and not sure if it would soften an acrylic under-paint.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - 03:53 PM UTC
I've never had a problem with Testor's Dullcoat over any type of paint, but I never spray it out of the can-- I either buy it by the bottle, or I decant it from the spraycan into a small jar, then use it in my airbrush. As far as using it over pigment goes, any clearcoat will dissipate the pigment a little. You can always re-apply if you need to, then go over it with a lighter coat of Dullcoat. In fact, you should always try and apply clearcoats in the lightest coats you can.
VR, Russ
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - 10:27 PM UTC
I never had the need to clearcoat my pigments,they usually go on close to the end.I handle the model carefully and once its on the shelf,it pretty much stays.Clearcoats will diminish the pigment and you just end up adding more.Unless you are handling on a daily basis,I wouldnt see need to clear coat.
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2019 - 04:27 PM UTC
Thank you for your replies.
 _GOTOTOP