Hosted by Darren Baker
What kind of tree
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 05:52 AM UTC
Allo, M. Frenchy (or anyone else). Can you identify the type of trees these are in the background:

I haven't seen any like that locally (Quebec), or anywhere else in Canada.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 06:04 AM UTC
Looks to me like a locust or maple tree that has a lot of mistletow or ivy growing on the trunk. Hard to tell from this distance.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hmmm...we have millions of Maple trees locally (including one in my backyard). None of them look like that - even without Mistletow or Ivy.
dpeterso
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 06:29 AM UTC
This looks like some type of Elm or Beech tree that is being strangled by a type of vine. Not sure what the vine is (possibly English Ivy or something like Kudzu).

This is English Ivy growing up trees

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm...we have millions of Maple trees locally (including one in my backyard). None of them look like that - even without Mistletow or Ivy.

You focused on the type of tree. The important part is that it is getting choked by a parasite plant or vine growing up its' trunk,whether it's Maple,birch,whatever.
J
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 01:24 AM UTC
Poplars (quite common in Normandy...) + ivy ?

H.P.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 03:07 AM UTC
Thanks. I knew you'd know! We have Poplars here too, but a different variety. Does the ivy, or misteltoe, choke off the lower branches and leaves? Or do those Poplars grow like that?
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 03:24 AM UTC
Actually they could be any type of tree native to the area . The weird look of the tree comes from people " elevating " , which means cutting off the lower branches and just leaving the crown of the tree . This method is supposed to deter the growth of the tree any higher . On these particular trees some type of ivy or vine has grown around the tree . Another term for this practice is " pollarding " , I used to do a lot of tree removal , pruning , elevating , forestry etc in my youth . So unless you can see the leaves of the tree any id of the tree is only guessing .
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually they could be any type of tree native to the area . The weird look of the tree comes from people " elevating " , which means cutting off the lower branches and just leaving the crown of the tree . This method is supposed to deter the growth of the tree any higher . On these particular trees some type of ivy or vine has grown around the tree . Another term for this practice is " pollarding " , I used to do a lot of tree removal , pruning , elevating , forestry etc in my youth . So unless you can see the leaves of the tree any id of the tree is only guessing .

Totally true.
Another reason for missing lower branches is the locals cut the small branches off the bottom to use as fire and/or cooking wood,etc. in places where there is limited access to forests.
J
 _GOTOTOP