_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Mr. Metal Color use
Illini
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 02:17 AM UTC
I'm trying to use Mr. Metal Color brass on the shells of my M10 IIC Achilles using a brush. It's going sort of ok, but I'm dipping right out of the bottle, and I stopped when the top of the paint started to skim over. Is there a way to avoid this?

I was doing it in my garage on a warm dry day in Denver. That probably didn't help.

Can it be thinned with lacquer thinner? One site suggested Mr. Color Leveling Thinner
Owengate
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 03:53 AM UTC
Hmm, my brother Joe is experiencing a similar concern. Hope someone would help with this.
Illini
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 04:41 AM UTC
I happened to have some of the thinner, so I added a bit (maybe too much) to the paint and tried mixing it my vibrating mixer machine. It mixed OK, but still looked a bit separated It painted fine for awhile, and then didn't.

I closed it, and gave it the old palm pound several times. This time it seemed to mix well, and painted well - by brush.

I think the trick is a little of the thinner, and regularly mixing it or it separates.
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 06:11 AM UTC
I'm a frequent user of Mr. Metal Color paints.

I never thin them, because they're quite thin from the bottle-except once, when I sprayed Mr.Metal Black Iron to a pair of tracks(I used Mr.Leveling Thinner then and it worked fine).

My trick to avoid the skim over is- I give the bottle a nice shake, then open it, flip the cap and use the mixed paint contained in the cap(it is concave and it always has some paint after shaking the bottle well).
Once the paint is used up-or it has dried up- I close the bottle and start over again.

HTH,

Illini
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 06:54 AM UTC
Very helpful, thanks
 _GOTOTOP