_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Need A Benign Primer To Cover Old Paint
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2019 - 03:34 AM UTC
Hi, All!

I know that this is going to sound "off-the-wall", but here goes, anyway...

1st QUESTION:

I'm looking for a BENIGN Primer to cover old paint, and which will not be affected by a new overlay of TCP (TRUE COLOR PAINT) Acrylic Lacquer, which is thinned with ACETONE...

I've gotten hold of some WALTHERS HO Passenger cars which need to be re-painted, but I don't want to strip the paint with a paint stripper, for fear of ruining the plastic underneath the old paint.

I want to repaint these cars in TCP Pullman Green, which is also an acetone-based acrylic paint...

2nd QUESTION:

Has anyone had any experience with AK INTERACTIVE's BLACK Fine Primer in the Spray Can, and if so, will it work in priming over old paint..?

THANKS VERY MUCH In Advance,

Dennis
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2019 - 05:22 AM UTC
Do you have any idea what type of paint was originally used?
I'd test a small area of the cars with an enamel and a lacquer primer. It wouldn't have to be very big, just brush a bit on the old paint and watch to see if it causes it to soften or lift. Let it cure completely then see if it scratches off.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2019 - 12:36 AM UTC
Sorry no, I don't know what type of paint was used on these Pullman Cars at the factory which made them. (WALTHERS and BRANCHLINE) That's why I'm asking about the primer. If I knew which types of paints were originally used to paint these passenger cars, I'd be able to to figure out which primer to use, for myself. Testing different primers on these cars is NOT an option, because as I stated in my original post, I DON'T WANT TO DAMAGE the underlying surfaces in any way...

Thanks anyway...
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2019 - 03:13 AM UTC
How old are the cars? If they were 60's or 70's I would say not acrylic. Probably Foquil or something similar.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2019 - 05:18 AM UTC
Hi, Greg!

No, these are pretty new- I'd say maybe 5 years old, at the very most... I got a good deal on 'em, too!
 _GOTOTOP