_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Dragon: StuG.III Ausf.B
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 - 11:11 AM UTC

Dragon’s popular and new generation StuG.III series already includes 1/35 scale kits of the Ausf.A, C/D, E, F and G. The last one waiting in the wings was the Ausf.B, and now it’s here

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 - 11:57 AM UTC
I think the highlights mentioned are the only new parts. The only plastic sprue that'd be new is the roof which is the main difference between A and B, the former (6860) I'm building.

I suppose they were doing B last due to the rather nice Tamiya offering.

The still missing piece which is really infuriating is the gun cleaning rod rack; it's missing in 6860 and I had to improvise. The rods were held with the end at the bottom pointing right, but the other spares I have are pointing left.
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the highlights mentioned are the only new parts. The only plastic sprue that'd be new is the roof which is the main difference between A and B, the former (6860) I'm building.

I suppose they were doing B last due to the rather nice Tamiya offering.

The still missing piece which is really infuriating is the gun cleaning rod rack; it's missing in 6860 and I had to improvise. The rods were held with the end at the bottom pointing right, but the other spares I have are pointing left.

Hey Cody, Thanks for the info on the kit differences. I’ll be building an early Blitzkrieg Era Stug for either The French, Balkan and Barbarossa dio and know very little about Dragons early Stug offerings and how they compare to others and which is the most accurate. I look forward to seeing that Stug of yours!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 - 07:48 PM UTC
HA! "DS" Tracks again, I see...

Let the moaning begin...
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi Nate the Dragon Stug are probably the most accurate, but of course there are still inaccuracies such as the rods I mentioned. The Tamiya kit is very good too, but as with all Tamiya kits you need to improvise a bit more details such as certain weld seams.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HA! "DS" Tracks again, I see...

Let the moaning begin...

PS- Otherwise, I think it's a very nice looking kit, and I will more than likely invest in one of these once pricing becomes "stabilized"...
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 12:25 PM UTC
I want to take up your offer on DS track moaning:
A: It's crap
B: No it's convenient!
A: It doesn't sag!
B: It sags if you know how to do it
A: It melts!
B: That's old news
A: Friul looks much better!
B: But it's expensive

Anything I missed?

I'm doing metal tracks so it doesn't matter for me.

On the kit itself, the ausf A (6860) is a problematic kit and this B shares 99% of the parts. It's just too many versions away from the original G they based on. The superstructure has some serious fitting issues that I discovered too late, and the breech stuck out too much. The instructions didn't help as usual, but compounded by the fact that they piled on too many changes to get from G to A.

ps. This News item disappeared for a day... thought something happened to the release....
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 03:46 PM UTC
Personally I own them all, carefully updating and replacing the older more basic Dragon kits with newer offerings when possible as the original STUGs were pretty basic and brutally simple in terms of detail. I also have built the Tamiya "B" and enjoyed it so I'd like to see how this one measures up but rather doubt I'll ever bother buying another. Bring on the build reviews! And yes, I too haven't got nice things to say about the lazy-ass DS tracks and replace them whenever possible.
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 - 03:35 PM UTC
They are also releasing a 6919x which I'm not sure will be available this side of the world, that is a box set paired up with a Sd.Kfz 252 with ammo trailer. It also include:
* magic tracks
* metal bucket
* tool to deform the bucket

nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 - 10:05 PM UTC
The difference is that in the UK this will probably retail at about £70, whereas the Tamiya kit can be had for £32.50 (and doesn't have tracks that disintegrate)
barleeni
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2019 - 06:28 PM UTC
Hi there, has anyone got this kit? Any reviews or feedback? Id like to build an Ausf. B, and as far as I know the only options (1:35) are this kit and Tamiyas old'ish kit.

I swinging towards Dragons kit, but havent seen many reviews of it?
 _GOTOTOP