_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
WW1 British Tank Roller WHeels
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 - 11:28 PM UTC
I have a Whippet Tank I am building with all those little roller wheels. Question: are they light colored metal like on an engine black, or dark colored metal like on a rifle barrel?
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 - 11:32 PM UTC
Not sure you will see them once constructed with track on, same as real thing. If anything was going to show I'd say bare metal would be showing due to rubbing.

https://www.tankmuseum.org/museum-online/vehicles/object-e1949-328
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 - 10:24 AM UTC
There are cases when, say, you want to depict a broken, thrown, or disassembled track.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 - 08:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are cases when, say, you want to depict a broken, thrown, or disassembled track.

True. Are you modelling it like that?
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 - 11:33 PM UTC
The rollers were steel, and probably got assembled in the tank in their anti-rust grey primer. The outer faces might (?) get some camo paint on them as overspray, but were quickly coated with grease and dirt - similar to railroad freightcar wheels - while the running surfaces would be scraped clean and shiny metal. But let the tank stand overnight and all that shiny bare steel would develop a bloom of orange surface rust! So, how you paint them really depends on the situation you are modelling. If being assembled at the factory - grey primer all round. If it has been running and has just thrown a track - shiny bare steel. And if left any length of time - rust.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The rollers were steel, and probably got assembled in the tank in their anti-rust grey primer. The outer faces might (?) get some camo paint on them as overspray, but were quickly coated with grease and dirt - similar to railroad freightcar wheels - while the running surfaces would be scraped clean and shiny metal. But let the tank stand overnight and all that shiny bare steel would develop a bloom of orange surface rust! So, how you paint them really depends on the situation you are modelling. If being assembled at the factory - grey primer all round. If it has been running and has just thrown a track - shiny bare steel. And if left any length of time - rust.

Thanks for the info. My current tank project is an intact one, but I or someone else could use this information.
 _GOTOTOP