_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Best acrylic paint for WWII German armor
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 03:20 AM UTC
I would like to know who makes best the acrylic paint(airbrush)for WWII German armor paint schemes?
I'm looking for authentic colors,true to its origins.
I've talked to many fellow modelers about this question due to the problem I'm having with my Iwata air brush.
I've used Model Master, Tamiya, Lifecolor acrylic paints among-est other paints and for some reason I'm just not getting that authentic look.Now I did find out that it wasn't my airbrush but the type of paint being used.
So any and all information will be of great help!
Thank you.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 03:46 AM UTC
I think "best" is rather subjective, but for the learning curve aspect of painting, I feel safe saying that getting away from solvent based paints is a step forward.

this may be what you're looking for: https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/producto/hobby/sets/afv/ww2-german-europe-africa-71208-es/

the Model Air paint line is purported to be "airbrush-ready" from the bottle although some thin it.

oh- and get yourself some ball bearings to put into every bottle. makes mixing oodles easier: https://www.amazon.com/PGN-Stainless-Polish-Mixing-Agitator/dp/B07D9TR6DS/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=mixing+ball+bearings&qid=1564587916&s=gateway&sr=8-8
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 04:03 AM UTC
Two things: your authentic look may have to do with your weathering rather than the paint itself. While you may blame Tamiya for the accuracy, LifeColor is pretty spot on. You may want to show some photos of what you think went wrong.

I switched over to Mission Model paint myself after being a Tamiya fan, but mostly because of its chipping properties. Sprays well and it's camo colors are spot on.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 04:33 AM UTC
I wouldn't sweat the "authentic" too much. Once weathering takes place you are hard pressed to identify what the original color was let alone the brand paint that was used. I prefer Tamiya simply because they are easy to work with and easy to clean up. In the end, it mostly boils down to what you are comfortable with. Good luck.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 05:26 AM UTC
I just want to thank you all for the information and comments you have given.It has helped.
 _GOTOTOP