_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Panther D interior
smorko
Visit this Community
Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2019 - 09:48 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm building the Takom Panther D w/ zimmerit, and the interior paint scheme they (well Mig really) suggest is panzer gray bottom and elfenbein sides. As far as I know panzer gray was never an interior color, right? However I have found some builds online where a similar scheme was used with dark gray, so not sure if Takom is correct. RFM Panther G and Takom Panther A give the interior as primer red and elfenbein. Anyone able to shed more light on the subject?
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi Miloš,
I am building the same model at the moment and I was also confused abot the same thing. As far as I found out (but frankly, I didn't dig too deep), AusF D was indeed painted some sort of almost black interior color with Efelbein uper parts. Rotbraun was used for engine compartment. So, the Takom instructions seem to be correct. But I am sure that here are guys with exceptional knowledge abot that matter that will be more helpful.
Anyway, I decided to leave dark interior in black primer and weather it lightly with gray shades of oils.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espańa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 01:30 AM UTC
From David Byrden's site about Tiger:

Quoted Text

The lower parts of the tank, below the level of the hull sponsons, were left in the factory primer paint, which was red. The same rule applied to the entire engine compartment. (These areas had been painted in a blue-grey colour before mid 1943.)

(Highlight is mine). Sounds logical that first Ausf. D, produced before that date, were painted also in that blueish grey

Source:
http://tiger1.info/EN/Hachette-Inside-Colours.html
smorko
Visit this Community
Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 04:08 AM UTC
I read something similar, but the color mentioned was a green gray... anyway not so much a problem of the floor not being red but rather than blue gray or gray green, they went with panzer gray... A dark gray interior as Sasa mentioned (never ran across that myself) would explain the choice of color...
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 10:27 AM UTC
You may also find that Panthers produced by Daimler Benz used grey primer rather than red, although that doesn't explain why the engine compartment is red . . .
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 12:05 PM UTC
The Elfenbein looks pretty close to the gelbbraun that was used in N Africa. I wounder if they just dipped in some more Gelb, as they would have surplus
 _GOTOTOP