_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
German Red Brown
piotrekbdg1987
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hello All Moddelers,

I have one question to You: I am looking for acurate Red Brown colour for Late Tamiya Brumbar - I wold like to paint first camo pattern with zimmerit and I see that red-brown colour is a bit paler than these i have purchased (AK Real Colour). Using Tamiya Red Brown Paint would be a good solution? What are your recommendations?

Thank you in advance!
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 05:49 AM UTC
The red-brown would be fine and I have used it in the past, although lately I have been using NATO Brown and have been altering the tone through the weathering process. Ultimately, though, any close approximation will work since the actual color did tend to vary in the field depending on how it was thinned and how thickly applied, and over what base color. Like walking into a store with a dozen demo televisions set to the same channel up on the wall; does the picture look the same on all twelve screens? Probably not, although you'd think it should.
k_mero4
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 369 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 08:25 AM UTC
I use Gunze Sangyо paint, acrylic, H47, H460 and H463 number.
I am satisfied. In addition, the three colors are of different shades and are modulation-friendly.
Kalin
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 10:29 AM UTC
Red Brown got increasingly confusing over the past few years. "Red brown" is now used as the name for the German 3-tone camo color, as well as the primer the Germans used on their vehicles.

Your original post is a ambiguous about which color you are trying to replicate. If you are trying to replicate the primer-red tone, RAL 8012 and 8013 are the correct tones. If you want the camouflage color, use RAL 8017.

I find that Tamiya's current formulation for their "red brown" color is much too tan to replicate 8017. A better Tamiya color would be their NATO Brown or even their Flat Brown.
piotrekbdg1987
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 09:44 PM UTC
Thank you for your help. I was trying to replicate red Brown there tone camo, not the primer. I was a bit confused as the delivered camo instruction with brumbar kit shows lighter and more reddish tone than brownish tamiya paints. I will try with NATO Brown or do some mixes.
 _GOTOTOP