_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Right color for filtering sand color
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 - 08:38 PM UTC
Anyone the right color filtering sand color or desert camo?I plan to use tamiya flat orange enamel paint,but I am not sure
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 - 10:05 PM UTC
Right filter would depend on the look you want to achieve,there is no one answer,It's subjective.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 - 11:43 PM UTC
Do you have an old junk kit that you could experiment on? Or, you could try on a small spot on the bottom of the hull. Let us know how it works out for you and good luck.
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 02:39 AM UTC
I am currently constructing old academy M-1 Abrams.I use tamiya desert yellow mixed with deck tan to spray the kit,but filtering is a another matter.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Right filter would depend on the look you want to achieve,there is no one answer,It's subjective.

this sounds way too creative!

could you elaborate on what "the look" means?

I think with so many rules (? - if that's even the correct word), it's hard for us neophytes to know when to break them.

thanks
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 01:40 PM UTC
on the web there was an old tutorial by Mig Jimenez on filter theory if I find it, I'll post it ... however it depends a lot on what you have in mind, the choice of the filter depends on what you want, do you want your model to be "hot" or "cold"? ... with a reddish filter will tend to warm, with a gray to the cold (depending on the gray), your mind depicts him in the desert sun, in the shadow of some ruins or under the clouds of black smoke from the burning oil wells during Desert Storm? ... do you understand what he means by "the look"
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... do you understand what he means by "the look"

not in the original context, but your supporting prose makes it a little more clear. thanks

edit: supplemental information - I've owned a little color wheel for 30 years and still can't figure the d#@% thing out!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 03:40 AM UTC
Richard your question crosses over from technical construction to subjective impression. (From driving nails and welding steel plate to artistic subitality.)

Your question is like asking us to read your mind and tell you how to achieve the artistic and environmental image that you have pictured in your mind's eye.

Like the man said earlier is your goal a vehicle sitting in the noonday sun after a 40 mile forced march thru the desert sands? Or a gloomy pose under the dark skies in the shadow of burning oil wells?

You have reached the point where art and your personal view must enter the modeling mix.
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

on the web there was an old tutorial by Mig Jimenez on filter theory if I find it, I'll post it ... however it depends a lot on what you have in mind, the choice of the filter depends on what you want, do you want your model to be "hot" or "cold"? ... with a reddish filter will tend to warm, with a gray to the cold (depending on the gray), your mind depicts him in the desert sun, in the shadow of some ruins or under the clouds of black smoke from the burning oil wells during Desert Storm? ... do you understand what he means by "the look"

Here it is...
http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw02.htm
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 11:43 AM UTC
I hope the OP is finding this information as helpful as I am!

thanks for both perspective & link.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

…. the point where art and your personal view must enter the modeling mix.

as a neophyte, it's difficult to identify/ establish these parameters. threads like this help, even if the old timers know without a second thought.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 12:50 PM UTC
if you feel to hard to choose you can always try the ready-made filters to understand a little 'better how it works

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/filter-sets/344-filter-set-for-desert-vehicles-.html

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/55-filter-jars
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 04:42 PM UTC
thanks for all your reply,Iam thinking ordering Mig-Orange filter.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 07:08 PM UTC
You have mentioned the orange filter now twice. As he says in the tutorial it is hard to go wrong with these filters but you color choice still strikes me as possibly a bit extreme. (Again not sure what effect you are trying to achieve.) I would think something more subtitle such as the "Ochre for Light Sand".

So far your verbiage has me thinking more along the lines of the way the light tan/gray of heavy dust and desert sand modifies the more bright yellow component in the "sand" paint scheme. As in how IDF tanks would end up looking more tan/gray but then their base paint color did not have as much yellow in it as the US paint. (All my above statements are VERY subjective as to color tone. Your perceptions may very widely from what I see looking at the exact same scene.)

Cheers
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 08:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks for all your reply,Iam thinking ordering Mig-Orange filter.

You mean the orange set for desert?....because Mig doesn’t have a Orange filter
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 10:21 PM UTC
I found this helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C6Ln5kIfkM
 _GOTOTOP