_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Airbrush safety and questions
catman31
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 166 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 12:54 AM UTC
Good morning
I'm ready to airbrush my model but some questions have come to mind: I do my modeling in the basement with the typical washer, dryer concrete floor and furnace and duct work kind of environment. I have a spray booth but (defeating the purpose here I suppose) no way of running the excess fumes out the window. We have black glass windows. That said, would it be safe to spray acrylics with those little windows open within the block glass. I was thinking of just taking the spray booth outside and painting that way until it's too cold to do. Thoughts? I don't want the house to explode
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 01:02 AM UTC
Hi,
Acrylics are absolutely safe, as far as I know. You can use them even without the spray booth if you want.
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 01:15 AM UTC
As Carlos said they're safe in terms of toxicity. But just in case why can't you run a el cheapo extended hose for your booth out the window?
Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 02:27 AM UTC
Acrylics may be safe if ingested, but breathing them in is a different matter. Airbrushes atomize paint, and those small particles could collect in your lungs. They may not be poisonous and it may take decades to build up in your lungs, but it's still not something I would want. So, I HIGHLY recommend a respirator any time you spray. Even with a good vented spray booth, paint particles are still blowing back into your face.

That being said, you don't have to vent outside with acrylics, as long as you know they will land somewhere in the room. You will probably see a dusted look to furniture, your table, etc. where the paint particles have dried. Most will still get caught in the spray booth's filter though (it does have a filter right?).

But still, wear a respirator.
catman31
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 04:18 AM UTC
Thanks gentlemen. Yep,it has a filter and I always use a respirator/mask. Appreciate the feedback.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 04:41 AM UTC
I recommend you get a fan to move air and fumes. I have one that blows away from my bench and booth but you can feel the air moving, not enough to disrupt my painting but it keeps the fumes from building up.
catman31
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 08:08 AM UTC
Good idea. Thank you!
 _GOTOTOP