_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
Valkyrie: NVA Border Guards & British Tank Crew
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 - 06:58 PM UTC

Valkyrie Miniatures updated their catalogue with 2 new 1/35 scale figure sets.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 - 11:12 PM UTC
Well, being a Cold War modeller, these sets are right up my street!

'Not too sure about the "Bone Dome helmets though: the mikes look a little large and I'm not quite sure about the helmet fit/shape. Any former Royal Armoured Corps members care to comment?

That said, I'll definitely be getting a couple of these; nice to have some figures to populate vehicles from this era, and also something to augment my Trabant Grepo patrol car.

Well done Valkyrie.

Brian
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 12:18 PM UTC
I see what you mean; the British tank crews' helmet/headsets do seem a bit...awkward? Large? Off? The Volksarmee figures with dogs got my attention.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 - 04:37 AM UTC
Actually Frank, having had a bit of a trawl around on the net I think these figures will work out OK; I think the Mike and the Mike Boom just need thinning a bit - or replacing with a bit of sprue or say, fuse wire. This helmet did sit a bit awkwardly but does capture I think, 70s/80s soldiering, or at least "Tanking".

The Parkas they are wearing restrict one's model to Autumn/Winter perhaps, and they should have quite substantial hoods (it's a bit difficult to discern this from the pictures provided); they were large with a wire stiffener in the rim. If Valkyrie haven't produced this aspect thickly enough then Milliput will take care of that.

I'm not sure if a control box/harness is still required to be accurate - which is why I'd hoped some former Armoured soldiers would comment, but I am more than glad that Valkyrie have filled this gap; I can now begin planning to populate my Chieftains, Challengers, CVR(T)s etc.

Brian
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 - 05:36 AM UTC
Thought NVA referred to "North Vietnamese Army"...silly me!
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 12:15 AM UTC
The reverse happens to me all the time; I see "NVA" and get all excited about some new East German stuff I could probably never live without, only to receive crushing disappointment!
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 04:15 AM UTC
I’m not ex-RAC but I do have a Dan Dare bonedome so can fish it out for photos when I get home. I don’t recall the boom mike being that thick though! The rivets look a tad oversized too.
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 06:44 PM UTC
Nice ones !

I'll get the Britisch crew because that parka makes an excellent basis to make the late-type US. Army parka out of it. The last type in Woodland camo parka with the fixed exterior hood .... used mid 90 - early 2000 ... then replaced by ACU camo.
Just remove the front pockets and the shoulder-flaps ... add the narrow upper sleeve pocket ... done.

Cheers
Christopher
 _GOTOTOP