_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Best canned spray paint for Soviet green?
Bergun
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 11:57 PM UTC
Hi,

I know that this has been asked many time before, but I’m just getting back into modeling after a 30 year break, so my skills are still very basic.

Being a retired US Army Tanker, I have an interest in Soviet tanks from the mid/late 70s to the mid/late 80s. My local hobby shop basically carries Testor’s Model Master and Tamiya canned spray paints. With my limited choices, between the two, who offers a green that’s the closest to the green used on Soviet armored vehicles from that time period?

I’m hoping to build the Tamiya’s T-62 and their T-72 kits over the winter months. I also picked up Trumpeter’s BMP-1 kit as well.

Also, would it be better to use a black wash or a dark brown wash on a Soviet shade of green? Other than that, no other weathering is plan at this point.

Thanks,,
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2019 - 02:36 AM UTC
Look at Krylon "Italian Olive" spray paint.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2019 - 03:23 PM UTC
You may want to take a look at this old thread:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/165161&ord=1&page=1

Further down it shows blurred images of an interior panel from a BRDM-2 from that time frame. I keep it in my garage out of the sunlight. Since it was an interior panel it did not fade like the exterior of the vehicle from which I pulled it in Afghanistan.

The color was a near identical match for Model Master Forest Green, which happens to be one of the brands available to you. However, I don't know if they ever offered it from a spray can. They DO offer Medium Green in a spray can, which is very similar, especially after light weathering,
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 11:22 AM UTC
Vallejo's new spray paint line has a Soviet 4B0 green which looks like a very good match to the real thing.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 05:35 PM UTC
Nice thread guys - thanks for the reference.

I did once seena photo of a field of Russian BMP's all stored outside and all I can say is not a one of them was the same shade of green.

While they do have strict standards impressed on them from above, when the rubber meets the road, I get the impression paint color/shade consistency is not a big issue with the Russians.
Bergun
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 - 11:42 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies. I’ll check on the two tips on for the Model Master greens.

As for the Vallejo’s paints, I thought that they basically did premixed paints for spray guns.... I’m not there yet. Until then, I’m sticking with riddle cans.

Another question, what shade of Tamiya’s wash would work best on green? This will be my first attempt in doing this technic, which seems easy enough. But, can Tamiya’s washes work on Model Master paints? I’d hate to find out the hard way!

Again, thanks!!
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 - 12:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice thread guys - thanks for the reference.

I did once seena photo of a field of Russian BMP's all stored outside and all I can say is not a one of them was the same shade of green.

While they do have strict standards impressed on them from above, when the rubber meets the road, I get the impression paint color/shade consistency is not a big issue with the Russians.

There is a few similar images floating around....I am sure this one will work.

I had posted it not long ago in this thread talking about 4BO greens. https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/280634#2360894
 _GOTOTOP