_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Using Pastols
Benno
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 04:20 PM UTC
Hi all

Does anyone know any good web sites on using Pastols, and or any infomation would be great too.

I've never used them before so i dont really have any idea what to do, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 05:34 PM UTC
Here's a couple:

Weathering Your Models with Pastels
Models & Modelling
Weathering

Hope these help you get started.
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 06:48 PM UTC
Hi,

I've been using pastels for several years. And I'm very happy with results

1/
You have to buy dry pastels (not oil based) in artists store. You should have different shades of yellow, brown, red and grey. I bought my set of 30 colours for about 15USD.
2/
You will work with pastels in powder form. So first you have to scrape them with sharp knife's blade into white cup (why white?- when you decide to mix different colours- you will know what colour you have at the moment)
3/
I apply pastel powder (I don't add thinner to them) with No5 soft- round brush with 0,5cm long bristle.
4/
Your pastel powder will stay only on rough surfaces. So sometimes you will have to apply matt paint first. You shouldn't cover whole model- but concentrate on parts where the pastels will be applied. I use for it not only clear matt- but sometimes also heavy thinned Tamiya's Buff (90/10).
5/
IMPORTANT: If you want to use decals on your model- you have to apply them before your weathering process will be started.
6/
As I said- I apply pastels with brush. I do it mainly by pushing it (intead of pulling). This method is similar as in drybrushing process- but I concentrate on deeper areas of my model.
7/
Before you start weathering- study photos first You will learn about parts of vehicle where you can see dust, rust, smoke-black, etc. You will learn more about their colours, too.
8/
I suggest you not to cover pastels- even with clear colours. Once I did it- and I received completely different shades of pastels. All my pervious work was ruined

If you want- I can send you scans of articles from Armour Modelling. They were very helpful for me.

Regards,

Michal
Benno
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 12:50 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies :-)

So if i don’t cover my pastels, would i have to worry about it coming off at all, as i put my models in a clear cabinet...

Yes i would be highly interested in your magazine article

do you want to send it by email? if so just click on my profile, my email is in that

Thanks again guys, you've been highly helpful!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 08:10 PM UTC
All I have to say Is Wow been Registered since DEC 2001 and only 8 posts Wow. And Is that an Australian Flag? I know their are many of them how are you on the position of the Flag?
Benno
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 03:33 PM UTC
Are you having a go at me sgtreef? nice name by the way....

Sorry i only have 8 posts or whatever because i didn't have the internet for a while, plus i went off the hobby for a while as well, but im back into it now
happy?

I'm in Victoria if you know where that is, if thats what you meant by my position on the flag.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 07:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you having a go at me sgtreef? nice name by the way....

Sorry i only have 8 posts or whatever because i didn't have the internet for a while, plus i went off the hobby for a while as well, but im back into it now
happy?

I'm in Victoria if you know where that is, if thats what you meant by my position on the flag.

No not a go at you Mate!! allways liked you Aussies for your keen Fighting Spirit Just like me. As for the name I use to run 3 reef Aquariums. And on the Flag I remember that Australia wanted to change the Flag over to a Different one.
Benno
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 10:12 AM UTC
haha ok, yeah that’s manly because of the aboriginal influence on our heritage, there was a campaign a while back to remove the union jack on the top left and to replace it with the aboriginal flag, red and black, with a sun in the middle. But a fair bit of that has been happening for a while.

Ahh intresting stuff about the aquariums
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 10:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

haha ok, yeah that’s manly because of the aboriginal influence on our heritage, there was a campaign a while back to remove the union jack on the top left and to replace it with the aboriginal flag, red and black, with a sun in the middle. But a fair bit of that has been happening for a while.

Ahh intresting stuff about the aquariums

Yes and matter of a fact my main person for help lived right their OZ's Reef as it was called around Queensland small world
Benno
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes and matter of a fact my main person for help lived right their OZ's Reef as it was called around Queensland small world

Ahh yeah Queensland is great...nice and hot most of the time

Where abouts are you in America?
 _GOTOTOP