_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
FC Model Trend: 3D Printed Towing Cables
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 10:40 AM UTC

FC Model Trend presents a new range of 3D printed tow cables can be heated to adapt them to the models

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ilfil62
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 01:25 PM UTC
Absolute disaster.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 10:45 PM UTC
My initial thought was WHY? But being resin these can be shaped with a small amount of heat and stay there afterwards. As such I do not agree with your comment.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 11:56 PM UTC
The process of reshaping straight resin pieces, even thin as towing cables, can be tedious. Applying a right amount of heat in a controlled manner, bending the resin in small increments not to ruin the cable detail... I would love to see the end product to convince me it is doable.

In the meantime I still think wire-made cables offer a better and easier solution.

Mario
ilfil62
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But being resin these can be shaped with a small amount of heat and stay there afterwards.

The "promo movie" shows exactly the opposite: those strange 3D strings refuse to bend under 3 different sources of heat and also refuse to stay in the shape they were unsuccessfully forced to.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 - 04:51 PM UTC
The detail looks nice but the amount of work to drape them realistically seems really tedious and makes me look around for those lead wire ones someone produced that I came across several years back. Hopefully I can remember the company's name and that they're still offering them.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 - 05:36 PM UTC
Twisted copper multi-thread wire all the way. It's soft enough and malleable enough to be pretty easily formed, and it will keep its form "forever".

Besides... What could possibly look more like a miniature twisted multi-thread cable then a... miniature twisted multi-thread cable?

And all you need is some lamp wire or telecom wire or other such to make as much as you want right at home - way cheaper then buying some AM product, I think.

No molded plastic, no resin items, no printed copies of molded items for me, thanks!

Cheers! Bob
 _GOTOTOP