_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
trigger type air brush
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 04:24 AM UTC
Has anyone ever used one ? any reviews ? are they easier to use or clean . I have arthritis in my hands are they easier to handle ? I would like some feedback on these. Thank You !
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 05:09 AM UTC
I'm using a Grex Tritium side feed after using an old style double action and a single action airbrush for decades. I'm left handed and for years, pre internet, finding an airbrush that would let you move the paint cup to the other side was a difficult to say the least. So when I decided to retire my old ones I got a trigger style Grex. It's very nice, feels solid in you hand, has some heft to it. The trigger system is adjustable just like a old double double action style, about as easy to clean as a double action. I like, it was a great investment. I was looking at the Iwata Neo TRN2 side feed but show the Grex. It's almost instinctual to use, point it at your target and pull the tigger. If you used an old style button on top airbrush it may take some getting used to but it fits comfortably in your hand and you don't have move your trigger finger in a weird, uncomfortable position to work the button on top. Literally point and shoot.
j76lr
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 07:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm using a Grex Tritium side feed after using an old style double action and a single action airbrush for decades. I'm left handed and for years, pre internet, finding an airbrush that would let you move the paint cup to the other side was a difficult to say the least. So when I decided to retire my old ones I got a trigger style Grex. It's very nice, feels solid in you hand, has some heft to it. The trigger system is adjustable just like a old double double action style, about as easy to clean as a double action. I like, it was a great investment. I was looking at the Iwata Neo TRN2 side feed but show the Grex. It's almost instinctual to use, point it at your target and pull the tigger. If you used an old style button on top airbrush it may take some getting used to but it fits comfortably in your hand and you don't have move your trigger finger in a weird, uncomfortable position to work the button on top. Literally point and shoot.

Those are the two I was researching too ! Thank you for the feedback !
SteelEagle
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 12:32 PM UTC
I purchased one of those Chinese cheapo's on Amazon for $45 and replaced the tip and needle with the Iwata Neo tip and needle that I picked up at Hobby Lobby(using 40% OFF coupons).
Perfect fit. Works as good as a $120 Iwata TrN-1 brush.(Probably made in same Chinese plant that Iwata uses for their low end brushes.)
I use it mainly for broad coverage and it does a great job.
Easy to clean too. Spent about $60 total. I don't use it for detail work though. Use the Harder and Steenbeck for detail work.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 05:09 PM UTC
I have the same Grex as above but gravity feed and I never look back easy to use and clean,very well made,yon can change many different size needles and I even got the fan head and work very good also with that,I can’t recommend enough the grex brand,and for you in USA should be very easy to find
j76lr
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the same Grex as above but gravity feed and I never look back easy to use and clean,very well made,yon can change many different size needles and I even got the fan head and work very good also with that,I can’t recommend enough the grex brand,and for you in USA should be very easy to find

Thank you!
j76lr
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 01:51 AM UTC
[quote]I purchased one of those Chinese cheapo's on Amazon for $45 and replaced the tip and needle with the Iwata Neo tip and needle that I picked up at Hobby Lobby(using 40% OFF coupons).
Perfect fit. Works as good as a $120 Iwata TrN-1 brush.(Probably made in same Chinese plant that Iwata uses for their low end brushes.)
I use it mainly for broad coverage and it does a great job.
Easy to clean too. Spent about $60 total. I don't use it for detail work though. Use the Harder and Steenbeck for detail work.[/qu
Thanks
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 06:45 AM UTC
This is what I got:
http://www.grexusa.com/grexairbrush/products.php5?id=Tritium.TS

Came with the .3mm needle which I have found is great for both area painting and 90% of the detail work I do.
I also got the 10' hose GBH-10 and the Grex micro air control valve G-MAC, the G-MAC has a quick disconnect that is real handy. Got them both off Amazon

Nice vid showing use of grex http://www.grexusa.com/grexairbrush/MAS.php

Cleaning the Grex
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IiRMIV0Idsk

Amazon has them for about $40 less than I paid for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Grex-Tritium-TS3-Double-Trigger-Airbrush/dp/B002XQ2K66/ref=sr_1_4?gclid=CjwKCAiA__HvBRACEiwAbViuUyLsCZTXn763reRmgSPwweA2CNisrzjWYlLUBYoN0ec49qrxfsuZphoCnNEQAvD_BwE&hvadid=177782766420&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9033392&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5791610265256147767&hvtargid=kwd-89904044911&hydadcr=2051_9901441&keywords=grex+tritium+ts&qid=1576867583&sr=8-4

Hose
https://www.amazon.com/Grex-GBH-10-10-Feet-Braided-8-Inch/dp/B002XQ2K9I?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

G-MAC
https://www.amazon.com/Grex-G-MAC-Valve-Connect-Coupler/dp/B002XQ2K84/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Grex+g-mac&qid=1576868767&sr=8-4

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 08:04 AM UTC
I purchased a Grex ‘Tritium TG3 Airbrush, Compressor Combo Kit’ several years ago and I’ve been happy with them ever since. And as already mentioned by Patrick, the Grex ‘G-Mac Valve with Quick Connect Coupler and Plug’ is choice for on-the-fly air pressure adjustments and/or quick airbrush swap-outs.

Happy modeling!🎨
—mike
j76lr
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 04:01 AM UTC
Thank You Everyone . have a Happy NEW YEAR !
 _GOTOTOP