_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Weather white painted objects.
Apprentice
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2019 - 12:08 PM UTC
OK. - I'm finishing up an Opel Blitz ambulance and I have chosen to paint the main body in white. My question is, what kind of weathering, washing etc can I do to give the effect of a white-painted "box" a used appearance.
Removed by original poster on 12/23/19 - 06:59:11 (GMT).
Apprentice
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2019 - 01:51 PM UTC
First video - I'm not that clever. Second video was not what I wanted, I can do whitewash. Imagine this - an ambulance comes out of the ambulance factory painted all white and clean. Then it goes to the field and the white is affected by various environmental factors and the white gets an overall patina. I can do the dirt/mud stuff but how do I tone down the white?
pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 02:40 AM UTC
A light grey filter would work, also Vallejo do do an Aged White that might be useful for mapping. |
hetzer44
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 241 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 04:16 AM UTC
Paul is correct; a light grey filter should tone everything down and make the white less stark. In my opinion only, I might try black detail and pin washes over some of the obvious details, like bolts, vehicle seams and other small details like tail lights before applying a grey filter. Perhaps you can practice on an old model before applying to your current project..

Cheers!

chuck
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 06:44 AM UTC
Neville,
I can't see the videos to which you commented on so this may be a bit redundant. You might want to do a pin wash in blue, it is not as stark as black and as a cool color will go a long way toward toning down the starkness of the white finish. If you want a bit more power to the wash I have used a blue-black with some success. Try a couple of different combinations till you find something that works for you.

Cheers,
Rick
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 07:11 AM UTC
Tans, browns, blacks, dark greens, and even blue can be used on white.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 08:17 AM UTC
For aged whitewash I like to start with the traditional hairspray technique for applying the whitewash over the base coat. Once I've removed the desired amount of the whitewash topcoat and let everything cure completely, I add a random dots of white oil paint and then use a brush dampened with artist white spirits to create a streaking effect. The is meant to recreate the look of camo being gradually washed away by the elements. As others have pointed out, subsequent weathering steps blend and tone everything down.

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 08:48 AM UTC
Assuming you want this look:
https://www.sierratoysoldier.com/ourstore/pc/catalog/K&CWaffen/WS258(L).jpg

Use the above mentioned techniques to tone down the white paint. Then it looks like the modeler dry brushed the gray cab color to pick out the details around where the white would be worn off. Could use the sponge-chipping method with the cab gray as well.

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For aged whitewash I like to start with the traditional hairspray technique for applying the whitewash over the base coat. Once I've removed the desired amount of the whitewash topcoat and let everything cure completely, I add a random dots of white oil paint and then use a brush dampened with artist white spirits to create a streaking effect. The is meant to recreate the look of camo being gradually washed away by the elements. As others have pointed out, subsequent weathering steps blend and tone everything down.

It's not whitewash. It's a white ambulance.

Googling various UN military vehicles will give you lots of ideas. Here's a good one.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2019/02/1033431

southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Neville,
I can't see the videos to which you commented … Rick

since they were deemed inapplicable, I deleted them so they would not waste space.
 _GOTOTOP