_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Project JSU-152/ISU-152 Tamiya
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hello fellow forum members,

As you know, maybe. I'm working on a model off the Tamiya JSU-152 kit. And I have posted pictures and other things in constructive feedback and I was keeping my post up to date as I proceeded in the work.
But now, I have finished the building part. And I'm now in need off some help. Because, I have completed the build. And I was first off all thinking off wanting to paint it. Like I always do. But, here comes the 'problem'. They don't want me to paint the model with the airbrush. But to paint it with spray color. And here is the thing, I don't want to paint the figures that I have worked so hard on along with the entire model. And I'm not having experience with masking and taping off for painting the vehicle. I remember in another post, if I'm right. That someone said, that I just didn't needed to pay so much attention to the looks off the vehicle. Because all Soviet Vehicles look the same. And now is another question off me. Do I really need to put in the extra work and effort to paint it and finish it real nice? Or don't I have to worry about it, and just put on the decalls and mark it as finished?
I hope you can help me out. And feel free to ask for anymore information if you need it to help me out ferther.

Here are the pictures:

Sergas
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 01:10 AM UTC
Really hard to understand what you mean.

So let me get this straight:
You are not able to Paint the vehicle with n Airbrush and you have to use Spray cans?? And you don't want to mask off the Figure??
Just remove the Figure!

And that last part.... You do whatever you want with your Model. If you just want to put on the Decals. Do it! it is your Model. We can't really help you with that.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 01:58 AM UTC
Without a doubt you should paint it,why go 1/2 way,you want a vehcle closely matching the original,not looking like a toy.That being said,it is your model.But what masking,its all green,would have been an easy test for you.
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 08:24 PM UTC
What I want to say, is that Tamiya wants me to paint the model with spray can. And I don't know the color or colors I need to use if I want to airbrush. And about the figures, I don't know how to mask them properly. I've never done such a thing before. Can't remove the figures because they are glued to their position as part off the building part off the project. I'm for the moment still making models straight out off the box. But that could change. Because now I'm seeing what disadvantages it can have. And I have watched another video off Andy's Hobby Headquarters channel.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 01:38 AM UTC
Ignore what the TS colour is your being directed to use and find a suitable paint that can be sprayed. I think most will agree that there is no such thing as a correct colour as you see lots of variations.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2020 - 06:12 PM UTC
You are nervous about painting the kit. There are several choices.
1. Don't paint it now, leave the decals off and put it on a shelf for now. When you feel more comfortable, pull it off the shelf and paint and finish the kit.
2. Take a deep breath and paint it now.
Either way, I would plan on painting the kit. The paint will really make it look better.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 06:32 AM UTC
You can make a good 4BO Russsian green with Tamiya XF-81 (2/3) and XF-4 (1/3).
See this thread:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/soviet-4bo-green-tamiya-equivalent-t322004.html

Take of the figure before.

Saying all Russian vehicles were the same, is an oversimplification.
Here's some good info on Soviet camouflage during WWII:
https://e-libra.ru/read/469539-kamuflyazh-tankov-krasnoy-armii-1930-1945.html

https://www.o5m6.de/redarmy_old/Camouflage.html

_GOTOTOP