_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Korean War US Olive Drab
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 - 12:18 PM UTC
I've seen some darker olive drab M46 Patton tanks, though that may be just the photography. I have a summer 1950 Pershing in line, but am not sure whether it should be the darker or the lighter green.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen some darker olive drab M46 Patton tanks, though that may be just the photography. I have a summer 1950 Pershing in line, but am not sure whether it should be the darker or the lighter green.

Army or USMC? there was a difference in color.
VR, Russ
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 - 02:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Army or USMC? there was a difference in color.
VR, Russ

Not on the very first batch of tanks, all of which had come from Army stocks.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 - 06:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Darker semi-gloss OD was officially introduced when the war was coming to an end (If I remember correctly in 1952), so most likely too late to be applied on any tanks before the end of hostilities. So photos of M46s in Korea in dark OD are almost certainly post war. I believe that during the conflict they were still in flat WW2 OD.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 - 08:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Semigloss Olive Drab was introduced immediately after World War Two, and can be seen on many vehicles repainted during the postwar occupation of Germany. It used the same pigments as the standard No. 9 Flat Olive Drab, but the semigloss finish made it "read" darker. The color was in widespread use during the Korean War, and all the tanks that were hurriedly refurbished in workshops in Japan were finished in semigloss. The color would of course dull down as soon as it received a coat of dust.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 - 09:31 PM UTC
Okay, you are right that semi-gloss finished was introduced in 1945 without changing the actual color, and the finish itself made the paint look darker. But in 1950s (I can't find the exact date now...) there was a new semi-gloss OD introduced that was much darker than the one used previously. That darker color remained in use until 1970s, when it was replaced by MERDC. It was definitely much more dark than the earlier WW2/Korea OD.
I have a nice photo from 1950s of a line of trucks with some of them in earlier and some in the newer color and the difference is very stark, but I'm not at home now, so I cannot post it at this moment...

That really dark OD (known best from the use on vehicles in Vietnam) was introduced definitely after the Korean war, but it is seen in some photos of US Armor, including M46s, in Korea later in 1950s.
Beast
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 - 04:55 AM UTC
The semi-gloss for the Korean War era was OD#2430 and was used from 1950 until 1956 when it was replaced with the darker OD#24087 that was standard up to 1974 when the Merdc camo came out.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2020 - 04:19 AM UTC
Thanks everyone, had to be sure.
 _GOTOTOP