_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Painting steps for whitewash
corsair924
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 - 03:35 PM UTC
Hey all,
Working on an in service T29e3 project, considering doing a whitewash over Tamiya khaki drab in acrylic (xf-51)
What should I use to seal the acrylic before hairspraying
Which white would be best and how should it be thinned if airbrushed or hand painted. And should I use acrylic or enamel ( issues with going above acrylic??)
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 - 10:17 PM UTC
You don’t need anything to cover the base coat.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mCHVn47E6LA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-uz1ZEv0oWc

A lot depends on when you want your white wash to be, fresh/early winter, middle or late winter/early spring with only trace amount remaining. You can use Tamiya as a white coat, I would thin it more then usual and use light coats as Tamiya can be tough to take off and/or I need more water and patience. Never had much luck using Vallejo as a top coat as it doesn’t flake off in fine amounts and more like giant potholes. It could also be just user error with Vallejo.

HTH
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 - 11:51 PM UTC
WOW! How relevant for my next project. I was just planning out my M48A5 in a winter whitewash - and your choice of subject (T29) was one I was thinking to do as well in a whitewash before I settled on the Patton. The info posted is a big help. I did a few German & Russian vehicles in whitewash but never really liked the outcome - looked chalky and too precise. I love the videos posted - very helpful

Good luck with the project
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 - 12:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all,
Working on an in service T29e3 project, considering doing a whitewash over Tamiya khaki drab in acrylic (xf-51)
What should I use to seal the acrylic before hairspraying
Which white would be best and how should it be thinned if airbrushed or hand painted. And should I use acrylic or enamel ( issues with going above acrylic??)

I would definitely seal the acrylic base with varnish or Future floor polish (I use Future). I also find that multiple coats of hairspray give much better control when weathering the whitewash. After weathering the whitewash coat I also like to use ivory white oil paint to create streaks that look like the whitewash washing off.

Removed by original poster on 02/13/20 - 14:56:48 (GMT).
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 - 05:28 PM UTC
You don't need to seal the basecoat with anything. Just let it dry 24 hours and the water won't effect it. DO NOT use Vallejo for your white wash. Vallejo is a latex acrylic and will come off in big rolls, not fine flakes. For the white, use Lifecolor white, Tamiya white, or Ammo white. My personal favorite for hairspray is Aqua Net pink can. Also, you can get a cheap set of stencil brushes at Michaels or Walmart that are perfect (stiff) for scrubbing the whitewash off. Other than that, have at it and it should come out great! Oh, and a few rust streaks to finish it with burnt umber oils. If you get stuck, just ask. If you do decide to seal the basecoat with Future (not a bad idea to be safe) you're going to have to give the whole thing a coat of Dullcote when it's done, because the Future will show the basecoat portions glossy.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 12:11 AM UTC
I'll beg to differ with Matt at least where Acrylics are used for the base coat. It is true that it may very well work without a clear topcoat before the hairspray, but the risk of inadvertently removing your basecoat is much higher, particularly if you didn't do a perfect job of cleaning and priming first. Overall, I find it much easier and less stressful to get the results I want with the basecoat well sealed. Of course, if the basecoat is enamel, then Matt is 100% correct.

Also, I've never had an issue with using Vallejo for a white wash. Just don't apply it in too heavy a coat.

_GOTOTOP