_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Weathering Friul tracks for the Tamiya Somua
tnichols
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 - 03:53 PM UTC
I am trying to weather Somua Friul tracks for my Tamiya Somua. This is my third attempt to do the tracks.At this point I have primed the tracks with Tamiya primer. Then painted tracks with NATO black. Next I dry brushed with Vallejo track primer.Now I need assistance on where to go from here.I really do not want to get too complicated. 3 or 4 colors and order to apply. Also color specific. Thank you. I hope this all makes sense.Thank you. Ted Nichols
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 01:46 PM UTC
Hi Ted, after that, I'd do drybushing Tamiya Dark Iron, then a light rust, then a gunmetal. Then I'd tie it all together and give it depth with a black oil wash.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 02:52 PM UTC
When I use Fruils, I like to soak the separate track shoes (not the wire connectors) in Blacken It— a chemical blackener available through Micro Mark. Then after giving them a quick rinse in warm water, I dry them on a paper towel. Later, I give them a wash of Testors track brown, and let that dry. At that point I assemble them with the Fruil wire connectors, and give them a second coat of wash. After that, I use a sanding stick to highlight the high spots that would be subject to wear, followed by a light coat of Dullcoat. What you end up with is a very realistic looking track.
VR, Russ
tnichols
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 03:06 PM UTC
To Matt and Russ-Thank you for the response and the info. that came with it.Just what I was looking for.Simple and uncomplicated. Restart in the morning. Again. Thank you.Ted Nichols
 _GOTOTOP