_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Model Master paint being discontinued???
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 08:26 AM UTC
Sorry if I'm late in hearing about this. I just came across this post on facebook and I was wondering if there was some truth to it?

americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 08:41 AM UTC
This is sad but true; I'm president of the Alexander Lippisch IPMS club in Cedar Rapids, IA and our local HobbyTown sent out a notice recently that MM paints are being discontinued.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 10:44 AM UTC
Testors does have form for this, having taken over and then discontinued the Floquil/Pollyscale line of railroad paints.

Adam Smith did predict the eventual outcome of rampant unchecked free-market capitalism is monopoly.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 - 08:12 AM UTC
Yeah, there was a similar thread about a year ago. They were bought out by Rustoleum. When I heard the news I immediately stopped stockpiling toilet paper and searched hobby shops in no less than three states to buy up all of the winter verdant MERDC colors I could find. (mainly for ROK vehicles)

If you need any, I have them available for $400 per bottle. Not including shipping of course, which is an an additional $29.99.

Purchase two and I'll pack each in its own square of toilet paper to keep them from clinking together during transit.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 - 01:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, there was a similar thread about a year ago. They were bought out by Rustoleum. When I heard the news I immediately stopped stockpiling toilet paper and searched hobby shops in no less than three states to buy up all of the winter verdant MERDC colors I could find. (mainly for ROK vehicles)

If you need any, I have them available for $400 per bottle. Not including shipping of course, which is an an additional $29.99.

Purchase two and I'll pack each in its own square of toilet paper to keep them from clinking together during transit.

I always knew you had a heart as big as all outdoors.....
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 - 01:54 PM UTC
Me thinks Testors doesn't want to compete with AK, mug, Vallejo, Life Coloe etc.
Cheers
Charlie
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 - 02:28 PM UTC
So will any company be selling enamel hobby paints in the US post Convid? Have not seen the Tamiya Enamel line advertised in the US
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 - 07:31 AM UTC
The following is straight from Testors last Spring:

Quoted Text

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 3:33 PM ROProductSupport wrote:

Hi Fred,

The product line that has been discontinued is the Model Masters International Military & Figure Enamels. This was due to a lack of support in the marketplace.

If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Prior to that:

Quoted Text

Dear Testors,

Today a hobby shop owner told me that Testors is discontinuing another 250+/- paints and airbrushes. He showed me a 9-page list dated 4-1-19.

Is this true?

If true, I have an Aztek airbrush that needs a tune-up. Will you still do so?

Please advise me.

Thank you,

Fred
Quoted Text

ROProductSupport

Jun 6, 2019, 7:26 PM

to me

Hi Fred,

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

We still have the acrylic paints and it is correct, the Aztek airbrushes have been discontinued.

Quoted Text

Date: 5/29/2019 9:06:01 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Rust-Oleum File # *RO-

Hello R,

Thank you for the sad reply. End of an era.

Are you continuing the acrylic paints?

I was also told that Testors will discontinue your Aztek airbrushes. Any truth to that?

All my best,

Fred
Quoted Text

ROProductSupport

Jun 3, 2019, 7:26 PM

to me

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

We still have the acrylic paints. Yes, our Aztek airbrushes have been discontinued and we are sorry if this causes any inconvenience.

Respectfully,

J

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Me thinks Testors doesn't want to compete with AK, mug, Vallejo, Life Coloe etc.

FWIW, a couple of hobby shop owners (information gleened at hobby shop owner conventions) as well as a current American model paint manufacturer owner, told me that Rustoleum simply did not know what to do with model paints; apparently, the people put in charge of the hobby paints had no experience with/understanding of the business, and ruined it.

I washed my hands of Testors when they discontinued Polly Scale and Flo-Quil c.2010. After that, they had nothing I wanted that I couldn't get from other manufacturers.
deerstalker36
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 218 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 - 05:09 PM UTC
interesting that they are discontinuing aztek
. i always thought this was considered high end airbrushes at a cheaper price

Harder and steenbeck it is now then
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 10:54 PM UTC
The only thing I will miss is the Clear Flat acrylic. I never had a problem with it fogging up or turning white. I was able to head over to the local Hobby Lobby and grab up their last two bottles!

Jesse
iam2brb
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2020 - 12:19 AM UTC
Hey! I saw this and, here in hte U.S., I went to their site and b=found this - looks to me like all of it is switching to ACRYLIC.

That may be the issue? So yes they appear to be discontinuing the Enamel line, but look at the options under a certain color and yes, some appears to be changing, but the Model master line itself, at least by what I found here on 4/4/2020, appears to be not ending but changing:

https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/model-master/acrylic-paint/bottles
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2020 - 05:59 AM UTC
Wait a minute.. are they still going to produce Dullcote and Glosscote?
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2020 - 06:09 AM UTC
Contact TESTORS and get the info straight from the horse's mouth.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2020 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Contact TESTORS and get the info straight from the horse's mouth.

Not a bad idea. I've been using them for 40 years so I know how to get great results with them. Haven't had much luck with the acrylic matte finishes a lot different than using the lacqueres.
MrchntMarine
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2020 - 09:22 AM UTC
Well, I just received in the mail 1 bottle of MM Clear Flat Acryl. I had to order it online bc the local HS is closed and I couldn't find anyl. I got it from Hobbylinc. Referred there from Cust service at Testors. The bottle now has a Rust-Oleum label on the backside.

I had to pay more for shipping than what the paint cost!

If I was thinking, I would have bought more!!
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2020 - 11:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey! I saw this and, here in hte U.S., I went to their site and b=found this - looks to me like all of it is switching to ACRYLIC.

That may be the issue? So yes they appear to be discontinuing the Enamel line, but look at the options under a certain color and yes, some appears to be changing, but the Model master line itself, at least by what I found here on 4/4/2020, appears to be not ending but changing:

https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/model-master/acrylic-paint/bottles

Model master acrylic paints have been around for years.
 _GOTOTOP