_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1A1 Primer color?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 11:34 AM UTC
All,

I've built several M1A1 tanks so far, but I've not used the hairspray (or chipping fluid) technique yet, on an M1A1 model. Does anyone have an opinion on what color I should use as the 'primer' color under the CARC Sand color, if I use the hairspray/chipping method? On one build, the M1A1 will have minimal chipping, but on another, the chipping will be significant. I don't suppose that it makes any difference on the primer color, whether on not the chipping in minimal or extensive. In either case, any thoughts on the real life M1A1 primer color? What would look best for this chipping method?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 01:14 PM UTC
Judging from these pictures, there is no primer an an M1A1.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/features/7554
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 01:55 PM UTC
So am I wrong that have not seen a lot of CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) chipping as it is an epoxy right?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 03:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Absolutely excellent example pictures...thank you!!! You're correct, no obvious primer under the CARC paint. I've seen the really cool videos about the rebuild process for AIM Abrams tanks, and they basically strip the tanks down to the empty hull, sandblast the hull until it is down to the bare, shiny metal, and then begin to rebuild. In that same video, I recall seeing individual smaller parts being spray painted in the CARC sand color, directly over the bare metal, but I wasn't sure if the larger pieces like the hull itself, didn't receive some type of primer. Apparently not.

In addition, of interest, is that often, these sand blasted hulls are placed outside, in the elements, until they are needed for a rebuild. It does not take long for that shiny metal to take on a patina of rust, the longer the exposure, the more significant the rust layer. When they are ready to use a hull, they do another smaller scale sandblast to take off the rust patina. Apparently, the CARC paint acts as both protectant to preclude nuclear and gas damage to the tank, and prevent rust as well.
Leopard-2
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 05:21 PM UTC
They get primed at least at Anniston factory while overhauling. It's a light olive drab/mud tone. Couldn't find it on YouTube on the fly. Maybe my screenshot helps?

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 06:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They get primed at least at Anniston factory while overhauling. It's a light olive drab/mud tone. Couldn't find it on YouTube on the fly. Maybe my screenshot helps?

Lots of pics form Anniston Army Depot here:

https://www.dvidshub.net/tags/image/anniston-army-depot
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 11:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just wanted to tell you that the photos you sent allowed me to try a set of chipping colors I would other wise not have tried, and I think my next M1A1/A2 is going to have a 'base' color of silver/dark gray, with a hairspray coat followed by the closest I can get to CARC Sand, and the chipping looks great! Many thanks!
 _GOTOTOP