_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Out of the game ~10 years
USMA15
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 08:53 AM UTC
Hi friends, I'm just getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus for college, military service, and lack of space. I'm planning on jumping right back in with a Ryefield Tiger 1 with interior. My question is this...who makes the best paint sets these days? I've seen Lifecolor for naval colors, AMMO by Mig, and AK Interactive making some seemingly pretty comprehensive and unique painting/weathering sets.

Anybody have any interest for a newbie to model-making in this decade?

Thanks!
Andrew
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 12:55 PM UTC
You are going to see a lot of opinions that vary on this.
i use Vallejo and Tamiya for airbrushing. Tamiya is much easier to airbrush, where Vallejo Model air will dry on the tip more easily. ( when you mix it vary well, it is not so bad, but if you half ass it, you will have trouble.)
For brush painting, Vallejo is very nice in my opinion.
For weathering products , it is really experimental. i have a few i have tried (mainly Vallejo). Some i like, and others were a bust. it also depends on how you critisize your own work.
Just an opinion from a guy who builds a model here or there.
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 01:00 PM UTC
I use AK and Tamiya for airbrushing vehicles and Vallejo for figures and AK for weathering.
Cheese
Charlie
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 11:59 PM UTC
I always have Tamiya on tap, but its hand painting properties are not what they were when you left the hobby. They are still a great paint for airbrushing.

LifeColor sets are great for one stop paint sets, but pigmentation quantity seems to vary where coverage is concerned.

I have started building up a collection of Mr.Color paints that other than the smell have not presented me with any issues as yet and have the best metallic paints I have hand painted to date.

I love using Vallejo paints but find I end up wasting a lot due to the squeeze aspect of the bottles.

Humbrol and Revell paint ranges have their place still in my opinion.

There are also a lot of new paint ranges being released that may appeal, but that I have little knowledge of.
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2020 - 12:21 AM UTC
Hello Andy and Welcome Back!!

If I may, I highly...That is HIGHLY recommend that you check out MISSION MODELS PAINTS(MMP). They are a water based acrylic paint system and do not use a toxic thinner, forgiving to use and brush paint nicely.

MMP have their own thinner (Non-Toxic) and I strongly recommend you use that. MMP also make an additive that is optional but adds durability to the paint and improves flow. Make sure you read the TIPS AND TRICKS FAQ

Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing your Tiger here soon

ER
mligthart
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2020 - 01:17 AM UTC
Welcome back!

for airbrush i use Tamiya, for handbrushing Vallejo.The other brands I mostly avoid as to me the quality is not always the same. Tamiya and Vallejo are more stable in quality IMO. For brushpainting black I like to use the Vallejo black primer.

Try different brands I suggest to find your own preference and do let us know the outcome

all the best,
Michel
USMA15
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hello everyone, thank you very much for all the insights! I learned to airbrush with Tamiya so I will definitely be maintainng a stash of those. I wound up ordering a few AK Interactive paints, a few MIG production sets, and will DEFINITELY give Mission Models a try. So far all the reviews and videos just rant and rave about how great they are, and how wide their selection is!

Can't decide if my first model back will be the GWH 1/48 Devastator, or a 1/35 Rye Field Tiger I (mid)! Such a great choice to be fretting over once again.

Happy modeling!
Andrew
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 05:53 AM UTC
A word of warning: Which ever brand of paint you choose, use their thinners, levelers and whatnot. Don't try to mix brands like Vallejo with Ammo or AK or any other combo. Don't try those lab experiments you see on YouTube where somebody mixes every brand under the sun to make some concoction that may work for them but causes you endless frustration and wasting time, money and paint. In 10 years there was a revolution in paint and a lot of manufacturers seem to be making their stuff proprietary so you have to use their additives and thinners.

That being said, I like Ammo of Mig One Shot Primers which everyone says are relabled Badger Stynylrez primers so if you can find one or the other they're the same. I like Vallejo Model Air and Ammo of Mig for shooting, both brands have great sets and a lot of colors to choose from.

There's a great little app called Hobby Color Converter that lists the many manufacturers colors and their equivalents from each maker. Constantly updated.

And Scalehobbyist.com is a great place to shop.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 12:33 PM UTC
I would say that RFM's Tiger with interior would be too hard for a return but if you like it, go ahead.

As for paints, if you already have and are used to Tamiya, you can continue with them. AK Real color are similar but with more colours available.

Vallejo Model Air airbrush fine for me, as long as I add their Flow Improver.

Vallejo Model Color are great for brush painting.

As for weathering products, that would be too large for a post...
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 03:09 PM UTC
Welcome back to the hobby! You are returning to a golden age of modeling!

Eric's recommendation of Mission Model paint is a good one, though I have several colors, and have not used them. The press they get is fabulous! However, if you're used to Tamiya, Tamiya is STILL a great choice for airbrushing. Before I learned the beauty of lacquer based paints, I used Tamiya almost exclusively. You may have to mix a lot to get certain specific colors, but that is the a downfall of Tamiya.

Regarding primers, if you're inclined to do priming, Mig One_shot or Badger Stynylrez are fantastic water based primers that lay down amazingly well, no matter how heavy you may spray it.
 _GOTOTOP