_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
AK Interactive Gen3
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2020 - 02:36 AM UTC
Anyone tried these new AK Gen3 paints yet?

I saw few reviews, and they looked promising, but after trying myself, I was not impressed.

They are thick coming out of the bottle, thinned to about 70% and still found I needed an airbrush above 25psi. And still have little spider web blobs shooting out, they splatter, etc. I tried with Ammo thinner as well as Tamiya Acrylic thinner, both the same issue. From what I can tell from the issues I am seeing, this could be due to the pigment being a little larger.

Now I must say they brush paint beautifully, almost better then Vallejo.

I spoke with one of the reviewers, and he mentioned he got his paint directly from factory for review, and hope they have not changed the formula as they have with other releases in the past.

Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2020 - 03:02 AM UTC
Thanks for the info as I had been wondering about this new line myself. Like kits the number proliferation of paint manufactures and lines within those manufactures is good for the hobby. Unfortunately with every new brand there is a new learning curve, sometimes pretty steep. Personally, while I have tried some of the new brands I always come back to Tamiya. Easy to use, easy to cleanup. Just my two cents.
Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
Armorama: 698 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2020 - 04:10 AM UTC
I was curious also about them and I tried few colors. They brush nicely, but like Kevin I had same problems with airbrush.
Metallics are good though, fine pigment, again with brush performed better.
I suppose they are best used for figure painting and for airbrush-the Real colors line.

Regards!
 _GOTOTOP