_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Flat clear sprays over weathering...
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 10:17 PM UTC
I had just painted a few models and weathered each a bit differently. The first was weathered to depict dusty finish with oil brushers and the second the tried and true Tamiya "buff" overspray for road dust as well. They each looked great - just the right amount of "dirt" to show it was driven a bit. When I sprayed a clear flat (TS-80) the weathering all but disappeared. This has never happened to me before. I repainted the 2nd one and tried a different spray (Krylon Matt) same result. Any thoughts?
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 01:43 AM UTC
Did you use any pastels (weathering powders)? The flat overspray kills the effect of those.
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 09:34 AM UTC
nope - I used Mig Oil brushers on one and plain old Tamiya Buff sprayed from an airbrush on the other... I never had an issue before - other than the pastel/powder fails you alluded to.

nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 10:55 AM UTC
I generally find that Flat Clear tones down the weathering, and unifies the finish, to the extent that, to me, the weathering looks to be garishly overdone, and then I breathe a sigh of relief after applying a coat. I find this to be especially the case when the weathering has a semi gloss finish, and my thought is that what you are registering is the difference in finish. as well as the colour difference.
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 11:14 AM UTC
thanks for the reply - yes that is possible - the "weathering" sprayed with Tamiya Buff seems to be visible but very toned down. Still looks pretty good but just not as dirty as before I sprayed t. The oil brusher weathering completely absorbed by the overcoat. I did use Mr. Hobby clear matt now that I think of it and found it is "too hot" of a formula to use over some oils... as somebody pointed out on another forum.

Thanks for the info however.
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 12:13 PM UTC
I like how weathering sticks to a flat coat. Especially pastel powders.
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 12:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like how weathering sticks to a flat coat. Especially pastel powders.

Ditto here...
Take care and stay safe,
Don "Lakota"
 _GOTOTOP