_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Churchy-first tank in a while for me
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - 06:57 AM UTC
How am I doing so far ??

Royal Tank Regt,late June'44.
J
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - 08:35 AM UTC
Looks really good so far - love the environment you've created. The one comment I'd make is that the diabolo (31st Armd Bde marking) is too bright. It should be a darker green - the same green as used for the background on the Arm of Service marking (992 - 9RTR marking). It's likely that the green badges would not show up very well against the main colour of the tank.

John
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks really good so far - love the environment you've created. The one comment I'd make is that the diabolo (31st Armd Bde marking) is too bright. It should be a darker green - the same green as used for the background on the Arm of Service marking (992 - 9RTR marking). It's likely that the green badges would not show up very well against the main colour of the tank.

John

I will do me best to tone that bad boy down then !
Thanks!
J
G-man69
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - 08:13 PM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Your Churchill is looking spot on, really love the subtleness of your weathering...something I struggle with, .

I'm presuming this is the Tamiya kit, same as the one I've used? If so, the padding on the inside of the commanders' hatches isn't included in the kit, did you use the ones from the gunners' hatch as you have yours closed, or did you make them from some other material/source?

Again, a great build and paint job.

Cheers, ,

G
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - 10:34 PM UTC
Just like riding a bicycle Jerry !
Looking good after your long hiatus from armor.
Thanks for sharing !
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry,

Your Churchill is looking spot on, really love the subtleness of your weathering...something I struggle with, .

I'm presuming this is the Tamiya kit, same as the one I've used? If so, the padding on the inside of the commanders' hatches isn't included in the kit, did you use the ones from the gunners' hatch as you have yours closed, or did you make them from some other material/source?

Again, a great build and paint job.

Cheers, ,

G

Thanks man. You are being modest of course,as your work is just wonderful. I do admit,I usually go for the less is more approach on weathering and chipping,specially in this case as this unit just arrived in Normandy a few days before the Epsom Offensive and so the damage would be minimal I assume.
The cmdrs hatch was tweeked a bit with very rudimentary latches made from spru and pads made from putty. Very basic because this will only be a background prop for me. Very well engineered kit from Tamiya once again. It went together over the course of 2 evenings,no problems! Perfect for my needs!
Thanks buddy,
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just like riding a bicycle Jerry !
Looking good after your long hiatus from armor.
Thanks for sharing !

Thanks for the kind words man!
J
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 - 07:41 AM UTC
You have fitted the antennae for the 19 A set and the 38 set but not the 19 B set, which used the stalk on the turret roof. I believe it was around 20” long.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You have fitted the antennae for the 19 A set and the 38 set but not the 19 B set, which used the stalk on the turret roof. I believe it was around 20” long.

I thought that was only fitted to command tanks ? As per another thread on this site ?
J
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 - 10:48 PM UTC
The standard fit on any Mk. VII would be a single 19 set with A and B components. By the time the Mk VII was in use, a 38 set was sometimes also installed for comms with infantry, given that the TBs were used for infantry support.

Command tanks would have an additional 19 set for comms with higher HQs but they may have dropped the 38 set in that instance.
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The standard fit on any Mk. VII would be a single 19 set with A and B components. By the time the Mk VII was in use, a 38 set was sometimes also installed for comms with infantry, given that the TBs were used for infantry support.

Command tanks would have an additional 19 set for comms with higher HQs but they may have dropped the 38 set in that instance.

Thought German tanks were complicated / confusing. But hey they were not alone.

Nice how this comes together Jerry.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 - 01:27 AM UTC
Robert#1-Thanks! Good to know. I will have to go back and check the pic of the tank I was using for reference during Op. Epsom and see if that particular one was fitted with the Inf. commo radio.

Robert#2-thanks for checking in and for the kind remarks buddy!
J
 _GOTOTOP