_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Compressors?
AutoFix
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 01:00 PM UTC
Hi I'm new. I've been airbrushing for about 3 months now on/off. I'm a college student and I'm about to go back to school and I need a hobby compressor for school. I've been using my dads large aircompressor lately which works fine if I turn down the PSi. I need help in choosing a hobby compressor. I need one thats relatively cheap (lets say $185 or lower) quite and effective! Just wanted to see what some exprierenced modelers had to say!!
My email is [email protected] Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 01:16 PM UTC
There have been several threads already on compressors here at Armorama.

Do a search for "compressor" and I am sure you will come up with the threads I am talking about.

But in general none of the more common compressors will be quiet, unless you buy one of the silent ones only for airbrushing. It just depends what noise level you can pay to endure...
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 07:34 PM UTC
Autofix,
Here it is
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=4093&dept=5428&product_id=4021&path=0%3A5428%3A4093%3A3915%3A4338
This is a great compressor (IMHO). I own one and it works wonderfully, the tank allows for quiet operation. That is so nice. It has all the guages to control pressure, it has the adaptors etc.
Nice, Nice, Nice
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Autofix,
Here it is
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=4093&dept=5428&product_id=4021&path=0%3A5428%3A4093%3A3915%3A4338
This is a great compressor (IMHO). I own one and it works wonderfully, the tank allows for quiet operation. That is so nice. It has all the guages to control pressure, it has the adaptors etc.
Nice, Nice, Nice

Works great for me too. And only $89
BobTavis
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 10:38 PM UTC
Question: on that compressor are their fittings for Paasche or Aztec airbrushes or do you have to acquire those separately?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 11:05 PM UTC
BobTavis
I am not sure what size the connectors are - they are a standard english size thread. I want to say 1/4" or 1/2"? Not 100% sure.
Rotkohl
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 05:58 AM UTC
Does anybody else have any positive/negative feedback on this compressor?? I have been hiding in the background here considering taking the plunge back into modeling, but need to get the basic tools again! Kinda scared that something this cheap (under $100 for a compressor!!) is too good to be true!

Couple more questions...is this compressor available at their local stores or just online? Also, does it come with any kind of water trap?

Thanks all,

Dan
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anybody else have any positive/negative feedback on this compressor?? I have been hiding in the background here considering taking the plunge back into modeling, but need to get the basic tools again! Kinda scared that something this cheap (under $100 for a compressor!!) is too good to be true!

Couple more questions...is this compressor available at their local stores or just online? Also, does it come with any kind of water trap?

Thanks all,

Dan

It does not come with a water separator. You can get it at any Walmart. I've only used it for a couple months, but I really like it, and it works very good.IMHO

And, welcome aboard Dan.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 10:29 AM UTC
Yes, I must agree that the C/H FP 2003 air compressor is a good choice. I've had it for a few months now. Low noise level, small size, nice blue color... hey, I like blue!
As for the moisture trap, I don't have one yet. Can't say I've emptied more than a few drops of water out of the tank in the months I've owned it. The only one complaint I have against it is; I do my airbrushing in a hot, stuffy garage so after a while of continuous spraying the motor gets to warm and auto-shuts off. I probably wouldn't have the problem if I sprayed indoors. (but then I'd expose myself to hazardous paint fumes.. "Ma! When did ya paint the livin' room pink?" #:-) )
Bottom line: I highly reccomend it!
BTW, welcome Dan!

YodaMan - More than a little unusual
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 69 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 10:45 AM UTC
I also have that compressor and it's great. In the same aisle at Wal-Mart you should be able to find an assessory kit that comes with all the fittings you need.

Short funny story here: Mine broke last November and since my wife was going back to the States to see her dad, I stuffed it into one of her suitcases. Wal-Mart's generous return policy and her inability to take no for an answer allowed her to exchange it w/o a receipt. She made it there and back through 2 baggage check-ins and 3 airports with no trouble at all, (I'm not sure if that's good or bad but I got my air supply back :-) :-) :-) .

Mark
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 11:38 AM UTC
Here is a nice "alternative" for Airbrush Zannies... I bought a Home Depot (Campbell Hausfield) rechargable electric tire inflator (nice battery life), and use it to pump up my home depot Campbell Hausfield air tank in about 15 very noisy minutes. This gives me 100-120 lbs of great absolutely quiet air, which will easily allow me to do several tanks / planes per refill (about 30 minutes of pressure at 20 PSI on the brush). Compressor was $30 and the tank was $40. Standard "quick connect " style brass couplings run another $20 and the gauage was another $10... so you are done for about $100.

The advantage of this set up is that I can paint in absolute quiet late at night without waking the kids... and of course the pump goes in the trunk to inflate a quick tire or basketball in between fillings. Consider the versatility of your purchase as well as the price. And the peace and quiet of listening to a little music or talking sports with your buddies while also painting is another nice side benefit.

Keith
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 11:52 AM UTC
Also... if you need a neat and inexpensive spray booth to catch all the fumes from your airbrush, check out the article posted under FEATURES / SECTIONS and then go to my column, DIGITAL DIAMONDS... TIP #3 discusses how to make a nice, effective, booth any size you desire for about $40. The article includes diagrams. I used a model like this for several years.... but it is NOT intended for flammable mediums... works GREAT with Acryllics though!

Keith
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 12:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dan - yes the price is low but I can asure you that this FP2003 compressor by Campbell/Hausfeld is ALL QUALITY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plus, C/H is one ............if not THE best manufacture of compressors on the market.
I say this from honesty, because I bought this comp. 2 years ago, and it works as well as
the day I bought it home. Campbell/Hausfeld deliver's reliability & excellent performance
in all their products.
I can't see how some modeler's ( no offense guys ) buy these other compressors for $150 - $250 and they don't even get an air tank - which is an "asset " for airbrushing.
- Also in the last 2 years I have done a lot of airbrushing, and I never bought a moistire trap yet ..................and I haven not had the slightest bit of a moisture come through the airbrush, when shooting my enamels
Except like Yoda mentioned - a couple of drops when you have to empty the tank.........
........that's expected, but still very rare in my experience.
- ralph
Army
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 12:23 PM UTC

Campbell Hausfeld has a great compressor that is sold at Walmart for around $90.00
It has regulator and all you need to add is a water trap
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 12:51 PM UTC
Yoda and Eagle

You mentioned that you get a few drops of water when you empty the tank. What exactly does this mean....Why must you empty the tank? And then do you have to go and get it refilled from like a gas station? I'm interested in this compressor and just trying to get some more info.

And also someone mentioned that a tank is essential for airbrushing. Why is this, and how does this affect the painting?

Pardon my rudimentary knowledge.

Thanks a bunch
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 12:58 PM UTC
The tank is built onto the compressor and is filled by the compressor. With the tank, there is no need for the compressor to constantly run. Thereby mostly eliminating any overheating problems. HTH
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 09:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yoda and Eagle

You mentioned that you get a few drops of water when you empty the tank. What exactly does this mean....Why must you empty the tank? And then do you have to go and get it refilled from like a gas station? I'm interested in this compressor and just trying to get some more info.

And also someone mentioned that a tank is essential for airbrushing. Why is this, and how does this affect the painting?

Pardon my rudimentary knowledge.

Thanks a bunch

Well Leader, the tank on an air compressor holds the compressed air. If there was no tank, the compressor motor would have to run continouosly, since the air would be going straight to your airbrush. The tank holds compressed air, allowing the motor to rest for a bit, and giving you relatively quiet operation.
As for emptying the tank, there are two things you should do for proper maintinence of the compressor. 1) After each painting session, you need to empty all compressed air from the tank. (as simple as opening the valve after disconnecting the airbrush) The reason; I wouldn't really want to carry a tank around the house that was holding 100psi worth of pressure... and 2) you open a valve on the bottom of the tank to let water out. moisture inside of the tank can lead to corrosion, which is bad for something that holds compressed air. The amount of water in the tank depends on the amount of water in the air - humidity. I've airbushed several times in the spring with no water in the tank whatsoever, but have airbused when the humidity is at 80% and gotten a few drops of water in the tank. But, I've never seen enought moisture in the tank to affect my airbrushing.
I hope this helps give you a better understanding of air compressors! :-) (it certainly helped keep my typing skills sharp! )

YodaMan - Eighteen I am
Rotkohl
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 12:12 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice all! I think this compressor will definately be my choice when I jump back into modelling (soon hopefully)! Sounds like I don't even need to get a moisture trap to start off with...and just pick one up if I ever have any problems.

Another quick electrical question...will this compressor only run in the States or is there some kind of voltage switch that will let me run it in Europe. Thinking of moving to Germany if things don't pick up soon out here in the Silicon Valley.

Kaboom - You mentioned your wife bringing it back to the States to exchange...where are stationed and how are you dealing with the electrical voltage difference?

Thanks again!

Dan
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the advice all! I think this compressor will definately be my choice when I jump back into modelling (soon hopefully)! Sounds like I don't even need to get a moisture trap to start off with...and just pick one up if I ever have any problems.

Another quick electrical question...will this compressor only run in the States or is there some kind of voltage switch that will let me run it in Europe. Thinking of moving to Germany if things don't pick up soon out here in the Silicon Valley.

Kaboom - You mentioned your wife bringing it back to the States to exchange...where are stationed and how are you dealing with the electrical voltage difference?

Thanks again!

Dan

Wouldn't a transformer help?
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 69 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 12:53 AM UTC
[quote]

/quote]

I'm stationed in Turkey where like Germany, and I guess the rest of Europe, the voltage is 220V @ 50htz unlike the U.S where it is 110 @ 60 htz. I use a transformer that changes the voltage but the htz stays the same (can't do nuthin' bout that). It supposedly runs a bit slower but I can't tell the difference. American clocks run slower at 50htz and TVs flicker a bit so I know there is a difference. I am at work now so I can't tell you what size I'm using.

When I said mine burned out I don't believe it was because of this. The piston broke and blew the internal fuse. Coincedentaly this was just after the warrenty expired . My new one runs fine and I haven't had any problems .

Mark
AutoFix
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 01:35 PM UTC
Thanks to all that helped out with replies to my compressor problem. I looked into the walmart Campbell hausfeld 2003 tonight at Walmart and will be purchasing it upon my next paycheck! It makes less noise than the bager model my friend bought and its less expensive too!

Thanks again
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 07:24 PM UTC
If you have $185 to spend, I would suggest that you splurge and get a good air compressor. My suggestion is to not scimp on tools because you use them for each and every model and if you get a good tool to begin with, it will last one hell of a long time. I read an article on ML that I definately agreed with about buying tools. The jist of the article was that we as modelers complain about paying any money for a nice compressor or a nice airbrush, yet are more than willing to pay $50 for a model and another $50 - 100 on AM stuff. It then went on to say that this is ludicrous as the tool is there for every model while the model can only be done once and then it is time to buy another. I definately agree with this. I would much rather spend money on good tools that will last for a long time rather than make due with cheaper tools.

I just recently got, IMHO, the best compressor there is. I got the Iwata Smart Jet from a place called Dixie Art. You can see the compressor at:
http://www.dixieart.com/Iwata_Smart_Jet_Air_Compressor.html

It runs $179 and they give free shipping. I looked all over the net for this compressor and Dixie Art had the best price and the free shipping can't be beat as the compressor weighs about 8 pounds so shipping wouldn't have been cheap. It is small and quiet, both of which will be nice features while you are at school.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 10:51 PM UTC
Adam - no offense, but my brother has the Smart Jet and i have the
C/H FP2003.
There is no difference in quality, but you are paying a beefed up price
of $179 for the " brand name". This or any other high priced compressor's
are no different the the C/H FP2003 and for the record any C/H product's
...........Plus C/H has been around alot longer then these other manufactures
and their overall buisness is compressor's.
All's I'm saying is yes you get the quality with the Smart Jet, but you pay immensly
for the name alone - there of no better quality then Campbell/Hausfeld
- ralph
BobTavis
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 11:16 PM UTC
I just ordered the CH from Walmart on line but could not find where they have either the moisture trap or airbrush hose fittings for my Aztec or Paasche. Someone said they have the hose fittings in the store but what about the moisture trap. My Paasche hose used to have an inline water trap in the hose so do I have to go this route?

Since the CH has a holding tank this usually minimizes moisture since the air can cool down to room temp but my question to the people that have the CH t what are you using for a moisture trap if anything?
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 06:57 AM UTC
Heres a question to my fellow Canadians.

I went to my walmart and found out they dont carry any compressors, and they dont think any other locations in canada carried them, or so the hardware department guy said. So has anyone in Canada bought this from a walmart retailer or did they order it from the US.

Thanks
 _GOTOTOP