_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Pigment Powders
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 10:59 AM UTC
Howdy All,

Was just curious about how many of us have either used pigment powders, or are contemplating it.
Of those who have used them, what do you feel are the Pro's and Con's?

I for one have never used them, but am planning on doing so very soon so I kinda wanted to 'plumb' the membership's communal expertise if that's alright?

Thx in advance.

Tread.
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 02:32 PM UTC
Hey,

I think that Japanese guys are experts in this technique. Also MIG builds outstanding models using this method. I 've been using them for several years. And I'm happy with results, too :-)
IMHO this is the only way to reproduce real looking weathering (this is the BIGGEST pro). I use them for dry & wet applying.
I remember- in the past I had problems with applying them because: I choiced wrong colour or I didn't prepare surface for them properly To avoid this you have to study photos first (after using them for some time you will know what colour is suitable for what region) and to apply dry form only on matt surfaces.

Michal

P.S.
After September, 2002 MIG's company will release special set of pigments powders for weathering
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 07:22 PM UTC
Okay clue me in Thread ,are we talking about those big plastic jars of dry pigments that Hobby Lobby sells that come in like white ,black ,brown,yellow and such? Goosh was that a long sentence
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 12:27 AM UTC
Jeff,

You're right :-) We are talking about " those big plastic jars of dry pigments". But at the moment I have to make powder myself Artists stores in Poland sell dry pastels only as pencils

Michal
 _GOTOTOP