_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Uniform painting
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 04:26 AM UTC
Guys 'n Galls,

watching Maki's Marine gave me a real boost to put in some extra effort on figure painting. I've been practicing quite some hours last couple of weeks. Though I think I'm heading in the right direction, I also think I really could use a return Boot Camp, to learn the basics again.

My painted faces are quite ok now (oils). But it's the unifoms I can't seem to do right. I'm always fighting with the shades and the highlites........even whith those plain uniformsDon't dare to think about a camou-job right now. That's ok though, I'm willing to learn and practice and give it some time.

Does anybody know if there is a step-by-step instruction on uniformpainting somewhere out there ? Like I said....it's Boot Camp time again. Learn to crawl before I can start walking again....

Hope you can help me on this one.
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hey Eagle

Missing lynx ( www.missing-lynx.com ) has some really informative articles on figure painting by Mark Bannerman. I am using these right now for my first diorama, and I feel for a first try the camo job came out quite nice.

Hope this helps
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 06:28 AM UTC
Eagle, there are some really good articles on camo painting by Rob Plas also on Missing Linx. I think Track Links has some too...
BTW, I'm currently writing an article on painting Chocolate chip uniform on that US SAW Gunner and British DPM on the Marine. I will be posting them to Armorama as soon as I finish, so if you could wait for a while...

As for the one colored uniforms, try base coating the fig in a slightly lighter shade of the color you want (it is always easy to darken it later by using filters or washes). One more thing, people like to use a different medium for base coat than they will use for the uniform; for instance base coat in acrylics and then enamels do the rest (in that way the two different "pigments" wouldn't mix). I do everything with enamels, so actually there is no rule...
Leave it to dry at least for 24 hours and proceed with the shadows carefully applied to the recesses, around the pockets and such. I like to smoothen the edge between the base coat and the shadows by blending colors. The highlights are next: apply them to the raised areas and smoothen as you did with the shadows. In this way you'll accentuate the folds and raised details on the uniform. As this is dry you can do washing/filtering and drybrushing as you like...

Hope this helped a bit.

Mario M.

Maki's Barracks
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hola!!!
The method I would suggest is just the opposite from Maki's, thats just the way it is, everybody does it differently, but quite often with the same or alike results.
I would paint it slightly darker instead of lighter as i feel that I can control the highlights a whole lot easier then the shadows. That way I wont have to worry as much about those pesky shadows as they will creat them selves!
Now, Im not saying that this is better then Makis excellent advice, just another way to go about it that works well for me.
Can't wait for your articles Mario!!!!!!
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 06:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The method I would suggest is just the opposite from Maki's, thats just the way it is, everybody does it differently, but quite often with the same or alike results.

Exactly, when painting stuff experimenting is the word. There is no right and wrong... Use whatever you like as long as you are happy with the results. After all that is the point of this hobby.

Quoted Text

Can't wait for your articles Mario!!!!!!

I just hope to finish them before my vacation. It has taken me too long already...

Mario M.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 08:13 AM UTC
Have to agree with Maki. There is no wrong or right way. I have tried painting faces and figures with a few different methods and have pleasing and dissapointing faults. Everybody must experiment until they find a method they find suitable for them. A methos that works well for one person may not be so easy for another.
AIREDALE_LIFER
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 11:40 AM UTC
I'm with Anders. Can't wait for those articles, Maki. Haven't really started with figures yet; waiting for the next group build. You can bet I will constantly use the PRO's from this site as guidance. #:-)

It might be too early for this, but here goes: :-) :-)

Anyone know the next subject for the group build???
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 12:02 PM UTC
Hi Danny - Like the other said EXPERIMENT !
Don't be afraid to try thing's out for yourself.
I CAN ALSO RECOMMEND THESE 3 BOOKS.
I HAVE THEM MYSELF & STILL USE THEM FROM TIME TO TIME.
You can get them all at Amazon.com.

1) Bill Horan's Military Modelling Masterclass ( by Bill Horan ).

2) How to Build Dioramas ( by Sheperd Paine ).

3) The System : Vol. 1, Figure Painting ( by Francois Verlinden ).

- ralph

Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 03:28 AM UTC
http://fp.docdio.f9.co.uk/page/homepage.htm

Hi there
have a look on this site, there is an article on painting camou uniforms etc.I know it's on British army DPM but it may be of use to you.
All the best
Peter
 _GOTOTOP