_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Lost my bristles!
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:13 AM UTC
I was washing off my paint brush it soe windshield washer fluid, and I want to dry it off on a towel, and when I did, the bristles came right out of the handle!!! Is there any way to fix this, or did I kinda screw myself up on this one? Thanks
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:43 AM UTC
I'd say that your screwed.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 12:24 PM UTC
Don't throw those bristles away, though. You could cut them up really small and use them as fur on a figure or something. Hey, just a thought...... :-)

Nic
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 04:46 PM UTC
For a good finish, use good tools. .

This being said, I too have problems to resist fidgeting and self-repair sessions. After years of experience : don't mess with brushes. A good brush is essential to good painting.

Time to say (bye bye) to your old brush and get a new one.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 06:54 PM UTC
Yep, I'd say you're screwed too.

Use Cleenex tissues to dry brushes just by touching the bristles (on the rear side where they touch the handle) by it. It absorbes the fluids very fast.

And..... as far as I'm concerned..... quality brushes before all else. I use brushes that are 15 years old. Use em'' and treat em'with respect (an occasional talking to them sure helps ). They can last for years..

another 2c
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:33 PM UTC
Gotta say - Yoube screwbe'd
I use windsheld washer fluid as a thinner and a quick cleaner and haven't had any problems. I use pretty good brushes.

Save those bristles - great grass!
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 12:26 AM UTC
It's a gonner, I found out the hard way as well to get higher end brushes. these brushes uaually have the bristles stapled rather than just compressed into the head of the brush. If your looking for the best price go to the art supply store near a college or art school they'll have brushes for cheaper as the students cant afford high end prices but need good stuff.

Josh WEingarten
aKA shiryon
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 12:39 AM UTC
Keep the crappy brush if there are some bristles left. You never know when you may need to apply something with it that you wouldnt want to with the new brush you have to buy. I use an old one for applying a sand paint mix I use to simulate caked on mud.
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 07:30 AM UTC
Yeah, I guess its a goner, but I have a really nice stirring shaft now, oh yeah :-) :-)
It says like "ox-3" on the handle, does that mean the crapola brush is made from ox hair or something, its black, and I don't really feel the difference between that and my red sables...
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a gonner, I found out the hard way as well to get higher end brushes. these brushes uaually have the bristles stapled rather than just compressed into the head of the brush. If your looking for the best price go to the art supply store near a college or art school they'll have brushes for cheaper as the students cant afford high end prices but need good stuff.

Josh WEingarten
aKA shiryon

WOW ! ..........that's surprising shiryon. I live in New Haven Ct, and we have Yale here, and
the art stores that are by the college are the highest prices around. They figure if these
students can afford a $38,000 a semester .....then they can certainly pay TOP dollar
for their supplies.

SANCHO .......usually OX Hair brushes are used for a lot of ruff application's - like spreading glue - sculptamold on diorama bases - mud on tanks.....because they can stand up to the punishment.
ANYHOW ..........you should just clean all your brushes that you use for acrylic's
with mild dish detergent ( Dawn - Joy - Ajax ) and rinse with water, and your
brushes that you use for enamels & oils - clean with Mineral Spirit's, and then wash
and rinse them also.
I use seperate brushes for my acrylic's and seperate brushes for my enamels & oil's
And like Eagle said.....I take good care of my brushes and they have lasted for years ..so far !

- ralph

- ralph
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 05:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use windsheld washer fluid as a thinner and a quick cleaner and haven't had any problems.

I don't think the problem is windshield washer fluid. I use it in the same way that is stated in the quote above with acrylic paint and have never had a problem. I think the brush just gave up the ghost. Don't be worry about the washer fluid though, at least thats my experience.
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 10:21 AM UTC
I think my problem was that when I was drying it off from the fluid, I held too tight betweeen then cloth, and pulled too hard on the handle and just went "yah" and pulled the cheap bristles out, but like I said earlier, at least I have a pimpin' stirrin' rod now
 _GOTOTOP