_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
My 223 for Spahwagen Abteilung!
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 09:54 AM UTC
Well here it is.. Tamiya's Sd.Kfz. 223

Kit is built simply straight OOB.. after fiddling around forever on the M-10 I wanted to do something simpler... so its just the kit basics.. some sanding, some gluing and a little putty....

This is my 2nd attempt at a panzer grey scheme mainly because I really dont' like the gray.. but using some of the things i've learned on here I decided to attempt to go grey and make it more visually appealing..

This is also the first time i've airburshed a Tamiya acrylic (german grey) as my primary paint as I'm a die hard model master guy.. I will say the tamiya stuff isn't bad.. though there are some difference's.

kit decals seemed a little thick and my filter coat of tamiya buff unfortunely make them a little odd.. esp in the sun..

basecoat is German Grey. then chipped lightly with flat black..then sprayed with future. then resprayed lightly with a lightened german grey... with a final filter coat of buff for the dusty look.. and then flat coated..

photo was taken in unforgiving sunlight to best show off the weathered panzer grey look.. please ignore the dratted decals.. .. next time i'm stealing some from a dragon kit...
RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:38 PM UTC
Looks good to me Delbert other than what you pointed out about the decals I like it. I might have chipped it a little more but who am I to judge..I stink!!! I've only built one lousy kit in 6 months!
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 01:15 PM UTC
This is really nice.

Panzer gray is a very good base for rust. So, you might add a few splotches of rust here and there.

For the silvering decals, prick them with the point of a pin. Then, apply a layer of decal setting solution. That's how I do it in with my models.

Angela

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 02:04 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words andrew and angela.

Andrew look at it this way at least you've done some building.. I myself only do about 2 to 4 a year since I started.

Angela thanks for the tips..if you look closely you will see there is a hint of rust around the panels and the antenna base. like my chipping I tried to do a more suble look.

The decals aren't really silvered.. more like "browned" I sprayed some thinned tamiya buff paint on the model to simulate a dusty look the buff paint blended into the grey nicely to create a dusty look but for some reason the paint showes up more on the decal turning them brownish. In normal light the decals don't look that bad but in bright sunlight the browness really shows up.

_GOTOTOP