_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Armorama 'Scoop' - New DML Figures
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 03:19 PM UTC
DML has just sent us EXCLUSIVE advance of images of their next figure set in 1/35th scale. This set is somewhat unusual in that it is based on a series of color plates which were produced for the Concord book on the same subject. The report, which is primarily images, can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 03:48 PM UTC
Great! More Germans standing about doing nothing. Just what we need. When are Dragon going to release a set of dead Germans or German POW's? I know they did the Georgians but they were static. How about some moving POW's like Masterbox? Next thing Dragon will be producing a set of German dogs! Doberman, alsatian and sausage dog. All in chilled out poses to look at home on their latest German AFV release. Just who did the Germans fight in WW2? . It would appear from their numerous German releases that they fought themselves?
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 04:06 PM UTC
Look interesting.
Regarding the concord note....I heard all DML figures are based off illustrations by Ron Volstad?
Cheers
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 04:06 PM UTC
HMMM....those 2 figures look cold!! I like the cold weather gear and especially the footwear, that seems to be something new and useful for guys wanting to do a winter scene. The set doesn't quite match the title though, "INFERNO", the poses are a little static for a action title like that, HAHA! But any new figures are welcome!
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 04:07 PM UTC
From a figurist point of view.... these are AWESOME! Seriously.
These will make for great vignettes. I love the uniform and equipment mixes!

Rudi
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 04:09 PM UTC
Greetigns all,

These look pretty neat. glad to see another medic on the scene. Split into two lots really, winter and summer.

I imagine the medic and tank man could fit in just about anywhere.

Cheers for the upadate.

Al

Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 04:09 PM UTC
They are David. The point here, is that original sketches are usually supplied by Ron for Dragon to choose which ones to model. In this case, they picked up on an illustration done for a different purpose. Namely, the Concord book.

Vinnie
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 04:13 PM UTC
Jim, I will apologise before you reply but this obsession Dragon have with German subjects is getting beyond a joke. For example...Their Crete range of Fallschirmjager...great..but who were they supposed to fight in a dio. They didn't produce any British Infantry at that point. (I know there were British on Crete as my late grandfather was captured there and spent 4 yrs in a POW camp). The recent anti-tank team and Totenkopf which aren't really Totenkopf due to political correctness. Who are their opponents in May 1940? No BEF or French troops by Dragon. Lets face it and I know you won't like this. Dragon have an all too obvious obsession with all things German yet totally ignore the Allies. Okay they stick out the odd Sherman but that's it. They've just done a Puma with a 100 built? Yeah thats a common vehicle. Look at the Daimler armoured car, the Staghound, the Dingo. Just a few more built but unless someone fancies spending a load on a resin kit they're pretty well stuffed for choice. I know we've been down this road before and we will always go down it but there is a percentage of modellers who prefer to build Allied subjects. There's a plethora of US vehicles by Tamiya and Italeri in plastic. Admittedly the mouldings are old on most of them but there is little alternative. Figurewise for the Allies? Worse than Dragon. Dragon however seem to be the main player now and it would be common sense to look at what people want rather than think "oh, lets do some more German stuff. Doing a DD tank is risky". I would like them to do a survey on here to see what people think as to what they'd like to see released. Not specific kits but armour/ figures by nation. Be interesting to see how it came out.
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 04:20 PM UTC
Aw! Let's not go through every time something is released. What use would a survey here be? We're a very small percentage of the total people who buy. They want to make a profit. German makes a profit. Leave it out willya?

Vinnie
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 04:34 PM UTC
German might make a profit but so does Mc Donalds! Doesn't neccessarily mean thats what people want though does it? People will buy what is on offer. If they can't get what they want then they'll settle for a bland cheeseburger. Might be a strange simile but it's true. If it's there, some people will buy it as they think" what else is on offer...errr nothing". Personally I don't eat at Mc Donalds the same as I don't buy Dragons German AFV kits or most of their figures these days. They hold no interest for me. I spent last night modifying old Dragon and Tamiya Germans into POW's for my Normandy dio. However all of the vehicles so far are Tamiya which I've had to buy aftermarket stuff for as Dragon don't do any British stuff other than the Firefly so turning any Sherman into a British variant is expensive. Figurewise Dragon do 10 British infantrymen. Two sets, yet there are hundreds of Germans. Do you see now Vinnie why Allied modellers get a little annoyed?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I will apologise before you reply but this obsession Dragon have with German subjects is getting beyond a joke.

Some might say that the M4s which have just been released (or under development) could indicate the same thing?

Seriously though, it's a touch depressing when the same comments are trundled out with every new (German) release...

Being ENORMOUSLY talented (as I doubtless am ) my magical powers don't actually (as yet) extend to telling what to produce.

In that respect, two areas to remember, are as follows:

1) They announce them, I post the news of them.

2) Please keep comments relevant to the subject being discussed. There is sufficient space in the forums to discuss Allied vs. Axis until the bovine creatures come home...Jim
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hi karl

i as well as other feel your grief but the big problem is German sells, if Dragon dont think that they will make any money (because that what they do) then they wont invest time and money into research, model creating and producing a kit.

The sorry state of affiars is that the German side is vastly more popular than the British side. I would be suprised if the british isles counts for more than 1 or 2 % of the world model buyer population.

If you feel that strongly then i can only suggest that you contact dragon and see if they are looking at releasing more allied figure sets, but until they do you stuck with the rest of in the conversion / resin world

We can only report the news, if you dont like what they release then dont buy

regards

keith Forsyth
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 07:51 PM UTC
Hello my friends,

Back from hollydays but actually at work
Just to mention one point on the discussion previously said : german works with public, make nice revenues for Dragon...and Allied stuff not interresting modelers...

One example come to me, and it comes from Tamyia. What was their last big release : the B1bis ! It's not german, it's allied, and it's not the most popular from the allied since French troops (1940 or 2nd Leclerc Division) are underrepresented in plastic.

According to Tamyia representatives, they had and have good successs with this kit, maybee a little B1bis mania. Some waited this kit for a moment since the heller series, some discover it, some german fans bought it to complete their germania regiment dio for example.
Let's imagine Dragon produce a french troops early kit, I'm sure it will be a blockbuster together with the B1bis and their early war paras and ss...

Look also Miniart, they do pretty good soviet troops which, I guess, are a little success...Regarding their Russian field officers briefing last kit, anybody has image of the painted figures ? I've seen on a discussion forum from a russian diorama site some pics of the painted figures. Would be nice to have some here, together with the german artillery set....

Best regards, and german or allied, Dragon continues to trike me with this amount of detail and originality in uniform and pause (medic and wounded is great for me).

Julien
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 08:07 PM UTC
Jim, thanks for posting this surprize information. Personally, I think Dragon is doing an amazing job at releasing new kits and figures at warp speed !

Yes, it is another set of German figures, but these look really cool. I especially like the tie-in with the Ron Volstad artwork, and the parallel to the Concord book "Stalingrad Inferno".

Well done, and it looks like they may have applied their "G-2" technology, and will do these as a basic set of figures ?

I agree, that there should be more Allied subjects, esp with figures. On the otherhand, what about the other Axis subjects ? Japanese, Italian, Romanian, Hungarian, Finnish, and Bulgarian. I wish Dragon would do a set for the Spanish "Blue Division" too. That would be awesome.

Sometimes as modellers, we get "tunnel vision". Everyone has a right to an opinion, but it goes sour for me when another tries to force their opinion, and that tends to spoil it for others as well. This was a post about a new Dragon figure release. I'm not sure why this set of figures developed into a "playset" mentality. Look at the poses here ! You can do 2 different vignettes, or include them in a much larger diorama. Possibilities are endless.

Very cool stuff from Dragon, and its great to see them challenge us with something new

Cheers !!

Robert
Removed by original poster on 09/05/06 - 00:21:54 (GMT).
Foxy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:22 PM UTC
jim, you really made my day. 6 weeks ago i looked at the cover of the "Stalingrad Inferno" book and thought it would be really great to have the two soldiers in heavy winter clothing produced in plastic.

now dragon did it and it will be a must buy for me and of course material for a new vignette. the odd thing about this is, that is one of the seldom sets bthe fouer figure are not of the same setting. here you get two individual pairs.

karl, i may understand your anger, but i really see no need to post such things in every thread regarding new DML releases. Accept the situation, the steadily complaining gets annoying.
BTW: I want Russian POW in marching pose made in plastic, but I also don't get any. Had to build my own out of the few russian dml-sets in existence.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well done, and it looks like they may have applied their "G-2" technology, and will do these as a basic set of figures ?

Nope. Five minutes ago I received samples of these new figures and they are regular releases, not Gen2. The only Gen2-like items are PE gun slings.

Pawel
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:36 PM UTC
Although I do not do many German things, I do like the relaxed poses.
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:39 PM UTC
Sorry, I thought that was made clear! They are an ordinary figure release. Not Gen 2, not premium. Just very nice figures!

Vinnie
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:52 PM UTC
How come they aren't Gen2?
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:56 PM UTC
Because they weren't designed to be. Dragon never said they would stop doing ordinary figures when they began producing Generation 2 sets.

Vinnie
jlmurc
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 12:48 AM UTC
It is a bit sad that everytime something new is told to us that the messengers who after all only post the information, get shot down.
As is often said and I like German figures and equipment they are the things that must sell in huge amounts worldwide, so profit has to rule over personal feelings.

Airfix may still be up for grabs Karl maybe if you could form a company and get funding that you could release a whole line of allied vehicles and figures, who knows it might turn the company around and maybe you might prove the other manufacturers wrong.

Whatever is being released to me we should all be thankful that our hobby is still being supported in these times when less young people are taking up the hobby, because I fear that for the modellers of the distant future that one day models may only be produced by specialst manufacturers and cost the likes of Accurate Armour.

John
jlmurc
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 12:50 AM UTC
Oooooooops and lest I forget these look like a very useful set of figures and are certainly really well posed.

John
This post was removed.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 07:11 AM UTC
I really like this set!

I have seen the plate and have been thinking about sculpting the two figures on the left my self.

If you don't like German stuff thats fine, but do something about it instead of getting so upset. Look at the resin companies, several Allied subjects out there, or even better, learn to sculpt, the figures will be cheaper then DML (except in hrs spent) and you can do whatever your heart desires.

You can purchase 8 Oz of Magic Sculpt for $10.50 or 16 Oz for $14 which will last you a good many figures.

Buy some and give it a go!

http://www.coloradominiatures.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=971
 _GOTOTOP