_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
Zvezda Armor Kits
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 06:49 PM UTC
Has anybody tried this kit manufacturer from Russia?, They have some Russian 1/35 scale armor I was planning to purchase, just wanted feedback on their kit quality. So they do Individual link trax?
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC
Which ones are you after?

Zvezda models are not bad (but not brilliant) and usually have rubber band tracks which exceed my (usually wide) tolerance for them. Their BT-5(ish) has link and length tracks.

David
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 06:59 PM UTC
Thanks David:
I was going to purchase the 1/35 ---T34/76 with Mine roller.

Looks like a good kit.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Armorama: 713 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 07:06 PM UTC
Hi Johnny!

I've built a good bit of Zvezda, matter of fact have a BTR-80 Personnel Carrier on the bench at the moment, and honestly, some kits are good, some not so good. . .this one, not bad at all! It might be best if you would list the indie kits that you're interested in, and I'm sure that you'll get a better response from different modelers and their thoughts as well!
Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 07:06 PM UTC
Well, the quality of the kits are average for the most part. Not as good as Dragon or Tamiya, but they can still be made into nice replicas out of the box.

I have earlier build quite a lot of them as I used to get them directly from Russia at extremely low prices. I now have to pay the normal retail price and I would rather pay a little more and get Dragon or Tamiya models.

Some of their models have individual links, but most have rubber tracks.
Their IS-2 has rubber bands, the BMP-1 and BT-5 has link and lenght tracks.

Notice also that some of the models are reboxed Italeri kits. This is fx. the case with their BM-13 Katusha Stalins organ, Ostwind, Pz. IV ausf. F., M40/13 Italian tank, Pz. I asf. B, PzJg. I etc.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 07:17 PM UTC
The T-34 is one of Zvezda's own moulds and is okay, the tracks will definitely have to be replaced though. They are even worse than the Tamiya T-34 tracks, and each side is made of two vinyl lengths.

I haven't seen the mine trawl and can't remember seeing a review.

David
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 08:01 PM UTC
As stated, a lot of Zvezda kits are reboxed Italeri and now Dragon kits. Some kits like the reboxed Dragon Panzer III Ausf E have vinyl tracks added. Other kits like the reboxed Dragon T-72 kept the individual link tracks.

One of the original Zvezda kits to steer clear of is the T-60 light tank. What a lousy kit.

The modern Soviet/Russian armor kits are reboxed Dragon kits. Some of the US/UK WW2 Allied armor vehicles are old Peerless Max kits that are now owend by Italeri.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 01:48 AM UTC
I built their T34 85 a few years ago. It was a fairly easy build, some odd fitting parts, and the detail is average. The tracks need to be replaced (two piece vinyl, even using the old Tamiya track is a step up.) I'd go with Friul. Its probably a good idea to replace the barrel as well. The detail on the turret, meant to represent casting marks is, well, sort of bizarre looking. All in all, it looke OK from a distance. Today though I would go with the Dragon T34, even at the higher price.
MiG-17
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 01:51 PM UTC
Johnny- I built the Zvezda T-34/76 1943 mod. I found the plastic very thin and hard. The casting detail was odd looking. Needless to say the tracks do stink!! Cheers-

Rob- Za Rodinu

MiG-17
Demchenko
Vendor
BRAVO-6
Visit this Community
Rostov, Russia
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 03:17 PM UTC
Good day,guys!
Do n`t forget please,that Zvezda has orientation for categoty of young modellers,teenagers and make models more easy for assemble (that`s why vynil tracks etc).Some models of own Zvezda designed are enough good (Su-100,JSU-122/152,
JS-2,T-34).Another models are repacks of old DML or Italery kits.
Pay your attention on models of BMD-1 and BMD-2.They maden with new design and have very high quality.
Best regards.
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anybody tried this kit manufacturer from Russia?,

Hi Johnny,

I've built a couple of their models and they are not bad. The SP Russian Arty piece has rubber tracks and the BTR obviously has tires. I am completely satisfied with them even though I had to struggle here and there with a few ill fitting parts. Really not that bad at all!

Gary
junxter
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 04:36 PM UTC

I have couple of their kits, including the Italian M13 tank, M2 scout car, T-26, and BT-7.

Most of these are very decent kits. I especially like the M13 and BT-7. The tracks on the M13 are too short. T-26 too... So I had them replaced with AM workable indy tracks.

Generally, Zvezda got pretty decent details and easy assembly, and somewhat obscure subjects. I'd recommend them.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have couple of their kits, including the Italian M13 tank, M2 scout car, T-26, and BT-7.

Most of these are very decent kits. I especially like the M13 and BT-7. The tracks on the M13 are too short. T-26 too... So I had them replaced with AM workable indy tracks.

Generally, Zvezda got pretty decent details and easy assembly, and somewhat obscure subjects. I'd recommend them.

The Italian M13 tank is an Italeri kit and the M3 White Scout Car is an old Peerless Max kit that is about 40+ years old. Model Victoria makes a really nice set of Italian M-series tank tracks. Well worth the effort to locate.
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 383 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 07:58 PM UTC
What about the StuG III Ausf F (kit 3549)? Is this something that could be built into a decent model OOB?

Thanks
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What about the StuG III Ausf F (kit 3549)? Is this something that could be built into a decent model OOB?

Thanks

Could be another model of Dragon ancestry, like the Panzer IIIF.

David
Hammer6
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 08:43 PM UTC
I agree with David, I have the Panzer III F and it is a rebox of the Dragon kit but one piece vinyl tracks substituted for the regular Dragon individual link tracks.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 12:18 AM UTC
The Zvezda T-34-76 with the hexagonal mid-war turret is more accurate than the Tamiya version, but not as nicely tooled. This variant is not yet available from Dragon, so Zvezda is the only choice. The mine roller is decent. Maquette has offered inexpensive aftermarket styrene link tracks if you can find them, or splurge on a set of Friul or Model Kasten workables. Definitely get a photoetch set for the rear engine screens, though (Eduard has one for this kit).
The Zvezda kits are also available in Italeri boxes, and many Italeri kits have reppeared in Zvezda guise.
 _GOTOTOP