_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
FEATURE
US Special Forces Hi-Lux
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 07:25 PM UTC
Adam Wilder shows how he finished his Hi-Lux in use with the U.S. Special Forces in Afghanistan. Thanks Adam!

U.S. Special Forces Hi-Lux

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 09:14 PM UTC
Excellent project, it's nice to see a 'civilian' subject treated like this. The different techniques do indeed make a nice change.
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 11:07 PM UTC
Wow, that Hi-Lux looks amazing!!!!!!! How ever did he manage to paint the stars on the flag?!?!?! I think I speak for many of us in saying we probably would have simply bought a pre-printed flag. That is truely skill! Now all you need is some think one eighty Sf figures to go with it! Fantastic job. Really enjoyed seeing this one
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:27 AM UTC
Fantastic!
I do like the US flag, you should have had a considerable patience in painting all the 51 stars one by one!
Second: what did you use for washings? I read you used Tamiya's spray lacquers, which do not resist to an enamel thinner wash!
This is a nice kit, with the only issue of the absence of clear parts for the lights, that have to be painted in silver... I think I'll have to work a lot with plastic before approaching one of these!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC
I believe the flag so displayed is in violation of proper flag etiquette:

"... The U.S. flag should never touch anything beneath it - ground, floor, water or merchandise. The U.S. flag should never be carried horizontally, but it should always be aloft and free. Always allow the U.S. flag to fall free- never use the U.S. flag as wearing apparel, bedding or drapery, festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds... The U.S. flag should never be fastened, displayed, used or stored in any manner which will permit it to be easily torn, soiled or damaged in any way. Never use U.S. flags as a covering..."

seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:27 PM UTC
Aj
You may be right, orange flag will better for such vehicle and such mission for the SF, in order to aviod Friendly Fire.

One question, i dont recall see any of civilian SF vehicles with the tacsat antenna mounted on the roof ( BTW in the middle of the line of fire of the M240), but mounted on the rear or front bumper.

Is it a choice from Adam or it is coming like that in the Mig Kit ??

Any answer Miguel ??

Thanks in advance

Seb
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 01:18 AM UTC
Very nice job, but I agree with Al about the flag etiquette. I wanted to mention it on another site but it seems as if I don't know what I'm talking about. Especially if some PFC from he 82nd did it once.
The VS-17 panel, among other things, is the preferred method of ID, and even then not all of the time. The flag was NEVER (never say never) on any USSF vehicles I used or saw. It WAS flown, along with a huge Texas flag, on a Psyops HUMVEE, but the Texas flag was ordered removed. (Etiquette once again, it was larger than the US flag)
As for the X-Wing, it's on the hood, and needs a coax cable, and a manner of affixing it to the vehicle:

Same with the beer can:

The weathering is great. I don't know what Toyota puts in their paint, but it holds up. I think one thing that helps is the mud flaps. I won't post the other photos again, but they're out there...
Again, nice job.
medic23
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 01:53 AM UTC
not to disprove anything you said but here's some pics for yall

OLDGLORY on a truck

SATCOM on top

another OLD GLORY

MORE

and more

ANPW
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 02:43 AM UTC
Thank you all for the postings. I have really been impressed with the people on Armorama. Thanks again to Vinnie and Armorama for your support.

Thanks for the posting Hank. This project was a great refresher for me. It is nice to meet you.

Dear Gary, I need to thank MIG for his assistance with the flag. He is the true artist and a great teacher. Glad that you like it.

Hello Giacomo Giacomo and thank you. I was advised not to use enamel washes over the Tamiya basecoat. I do not know just how much of an effect enamel washes would have had. Furthermore, I wanted to keep the vehicle looking new so I decided to keep clear of the washes all together this time around. Thanks again.

Dear Al, thanks for the nice quote. The rear storage (and flag) was inspired by three photos of a Hi-Lux with a flag draped over the rear as shown. Here is a link to one of them: http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/Special_Forces-Afghanistan/40239504spec_20020315_00111

I am sorry if I offended anyone. Thanks again

Hello Seb, The Tac Sat antenna was also on the same vehicle I described in response to Al’s posting above and approximately mounted in the same position. I also found it to be a bit odd being directly in front of the MG. The antenna is included in the kit. I also imagine that the locations of this detail may vary. Thank you.

Dear 18 Bravo, thanks for the nice complements. I am sure that you are correct because of your personal background. Again, I did see a few photos of a US flag draped over the rear in this manner as Zack linked us to below. I am sorry if it the example I used is unusual and if it offended anyone. I hope to talk to you again soon.

THAT’S THE BABY ZACH!!!!!!! Very cool and thanks. I have never seen one of those photos so that makes four.

This is the link to the reference I used to paint the vehicle: http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/Special_Forces-Afghanistan/40239504spec_20020315_00111

Again, thanks a lot all of you. I am really looking forward to coming home to the US for the holidays. Europe is beautiful but I really miss my country.

Happy holidays to all of you thanks one more time.

Happy modeling
ANPW
medic23
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 03:11 AM UTC
Adam, where in europe are you at now? im in Germany but i really cant say where over the airwaves man i wish i was goin back to the states too lol man i hate war, but o well.

zach
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

not to disprove anything you said but here's some pics for yall

That's good, because it's hard to disprove something one individual did not see or do. (for this reason, I intentionally put in the disclaimer, never say never, because I know how things work) As I said, I never used or saw it on a USSF vehicle. Unfortunately, our 20th Group brothers apparently have chosen to do so. Frankly, I'm surprised they don't have the stars an bars on theirs. Just because they did the wrong thing, doesn't make it right. Our command, and our soldiers know flag etiquette. After all, the flag is the reason most of us are doing what we do to begin with. That said, anyone wants to model it, fine. Personally, I wouldn't even if I had personally seen it. Too many other examples of doing the right thing, which is never wrong.
By the way, my comments are never to denigrate a model, but to provide an insight. It's still a good model, but the X-wing, wheever mounted, has to have a way of staying put. Mainly it was duct tape and 550 cord.
As for the roof mounted X-wing-absolutely no tactical advantage to mounting it two feet closer to outer space. There IS a tactical advantage to mounting it on the hood. My hope is most people will figure it out without an explanation. These pics may illustrate why.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 04:03 AM UTC
Nice article and model Adam.
Mig_Jimenez
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / España
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 05:07 PM UTC
Hello all you.

First all, thank you very much for the coments about Adam's works, beacuse I saw how he worked very hard with it and how proud he felt to make something really "american".

The sense and sould of this project was easy: To make something that we saw in some photos and we wanted to make something similar.

So...we make the master and Adam painted. Adam wanted to paint it in a way to tribute to the Special Forces guys, and this is why the look is really nice and clean (If I paint it surelly I will fill with rust, chips and the flag damaged!!!!

But I am not the most apropiated to do that, because I don't know very well the american philisophy and ethic ways about this kind of subjects.
But waht I knew is the big importance of the US flag, and what I can say is that we treated it with the maximun respect and love.

Adam forced me to take information from internet and he teached me even the history of the flag.

We thought that could be very important to make a great flag and we done our best. I am very sorry if the position of the flag offend to some one, and I pologice for that, but this is something that we just copied form a photo (as you can see)....made by US people, and surely they make it with good intentions and big respect.

Our duty like modellers is to represent the reality without offend to the people.
I thought and I think that this model was a good example of this. Anyway, Adam is american, and I can tell you for sure that he don't allow to anyone in Europe to say any bad thing about his country!!

We always make jokes telling him that he is a American Spy that try to convert Spain in the 51th State of the US.

MIG Jimenez
Mig_Jimenez
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / España
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 05:20 PM UTC
The photos:

Another one, but the flag is not visible:

This one is more polite, the alternative option without flag:

And this one with the orange flag:

medic23
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 07:13 PM UTC
here is a link to some items im selling including X3 of these wonderful kits

DROOL HERE
ANPW
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:54 PM UTC
Dear Zach and Dave

Zach
I am sorry that you will not be going home for the holidays this year. I understand that you are going to Afghanistan? Well if so I hope that you get back safely. Please keep us informed. You know how to contact us.

I am currently working at MIG Productions in northern Spain. As I said to Vinnie of Amorama today, speaking with all of you has really made me feel much less lonely overhear while awaiting to return home for vacation. Again, please take care and I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks for your posting Dave. I am glad that you like the Hi-Lux

Happy holidays to you all.
ANPW
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 11:50 PM UTC
Awesome work, Adam and MIG! You both have made two models that probably will not see plastic for years to come, if ever.

The model looks cool !
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:01 AM UTC
Adam,
One again you have done amazing work in weathering and a unique subject! I am rather amazed that the Army doesn't spray these trucks olive drab or desert camo, but that is another topic... lol.

On the flag issue. While it's laying down on the cargo in the photos, doesn't the way it's fastened to the roll bar give the impression it's suppose to fly in the breeze once the truck is at cruising speed? Just my impression.

Thanks,
Jim
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fantastic!
I do like the US flag, you should have had a considerable patience in painting all the 51 stars one by one!

50 stars, actually. Four rows of five and five rows of six. This was adopted in 1959 after Hawaii and Alaska became states. Prior to that, the 48 star flag was used, six parallel rows of eight stars.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 06:12 AM UTC
why does the SF use the Toy anyways? Is there an advantage over the Hummer?
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 06:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

why does the SF use the Toy anyways? Is there an advantage over the Hummer?

To "blend in" with the militias. Since the Humvee isn't exported except to Goverment militaries, the militias use civilian vehicles for troop transport. The Land Rover and Toyota pickups remain the forefront vehicles for these "Technicals" because they're reliable compared to American pickups. I also heard that Japanese vehicles use two coats of primer, three coats of paint, and two-three clear coats compared to only two coats of paint and one clear coat on American vehicles, hence why American cars have a tendency to rust easier.

People can see a Humvee coming towards them, but in a Toyota, the sight may confuse the enemy long enough to make him pause and see if the Toyota is really a friend or a foe. The Toyota pickup in ODA use is a cheap and simple form of camouflage, so to speak, at the price of armor protection, firepower, and hauling capability. (Well, it probably gets better gas mileage than the Humvee though). Also, the Toyotas are more comfortable than GMVs, not to mention being fully enclosed since most GMVs have their doors off.

In truth, the U.S. Special Forces in Toyotas were envious of those ODAs equipped with the GMW Humvee due to its heavier firepower, better communications, and load-carrying capability, so says a Sergeant in an ODA who wrote the book, "ROUGHNECK ONE-NINE."
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

in a Toyota, the sight may confuse the enemy long enough to make him pause and see if the Toyota is really a friend or a foe.

Hmm. I can see that working both ways though. I wonder if the incidence of fratricide is higher in Toyota or Hummer crews?

Quoted Text

The Toyota pickup in ODA use is a cheap and simple form of camouflage,

Wouldn't the large US Flag would counteract any camouflage effect?

Quoted Text

Also, the Toyotas are more comfortable than GMVs,

:-) Ahh, I reckon most SF types are not going to put comfort ahead of protection. Then again, there is the LCF of the Toy.

What's an "ODA"?

Were there not enough SF pattern Hummers to go around?

Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What's an "ODA"?

Were there not enough SF pattern Hummers to go around?

ODA = "Operational Detachment A-Team"---the official Army term of a 12-man "Special Operations Force" better known by the nickname "Green Berets."

I don't know about fratricide, but the Afghanistan incidences of this were caused to GMV Humvees and errant and faulty AC-130 equipment as stated in the book, "Not a Good Day to Die."

The SF Humvees are in fact kind of unknown in how they're made since SF is a separate branch from the Army with its own command structure and logistics. This much is known though. AM General doesn't make Spec Ops Humvees per se, and if it does, the U.S. never bought them. Military Special Group (MSG) buys the extended capability M1113 Humvees and converts them into the ones you see on AM General's website, the ones with rollbars (kind of like the ROC Taiwan one Hobby Fan/AFV Club made). But I think MSG is a private venture and does this on their own...I don't know. , The U.S. Army Special Forces (actually SOCOM) takes delivery of the MSG SF Humvees and then converts them again to the Ground Mobility Vehicle version at the Army depots (the one Pro Art Models sells). If you compare the Hobby Fan ROC Humvee to the Pro Art one, you can see the differences. The Army GMV has a roof, side bed slats, no interior lockers, Humvee doors, etc. That's how it WAS done. Nowadays, who knows...perhaps the M1113 goes straight from AM General to the Army Depots for conversion into a GMV.

So just to get a GMV takes a long time since they're converted.

Now as TRAKZ stated, the Special Forces do use MSG vehicles "As is," but the details are classified. Expect to see 1/35 MSG Humvee kits early next year from TRAKZ, The MSG Humvee looks like the Pro Art one, but has more doodads and features than the GMV. The TRAKZ/MSG one will in fact look like a Pro Art GMV and a Hobby Fan ROC SF Humvee combined from the 3D computer photos TRAKZ posted a couple of months ago. I believe TRAKZ since TRAKZ visited MSG to get references for these upcoming SF Humvee kits. And being Spec Ops, of course all this info is kept tightly sealed. But if TRAKZ was at MSG, then TRAKZ knows its stuff. Leave it at that .

Take the above with a grain of salt... . I just cobbled the info from various public sources I read years ago. I don't know what's happening now.
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 01:12 PM UTC
So where can I get one of these kits?

The New Zealand troops in Bamiyan use the hilux, this looks pretty close to the ones they are using and I'd love to make this up as a kiwi vehicle.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 01:19 PM UTC
Phil, just wait a few minutes - i'm posting the News story with all the new Mig rekleases at the moment
 _GOTOTOP