_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Latest 1/35th Panther from DML
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 09:44 PM UTC
Dragon Models Limited have just sent us images of their latest ''Smart Kit'' - DRA6370 - Panther G with Steel Road Wheels. A surprising release of a pretty unusual version. the Photo-Report on this newly-announced kit can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 10:55 PM UTC
Sweet!! guess I dont need to save all those extra steel wheels from the late model kits anymore
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 11:37 PM UTC
I'll get this one when it hits the stores. Been looking forward to it for some time.

Only the box-art isn't really inspiring, quality isn't too high on the artwork.

Anyway, the added bits apart from the steel wheels are a nice touch, hanging the turret full of spare links.

mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,593 posts
Armorama: 1,465 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 04:18 AM UTC
I was wondering if Dragon would get around to this version, even though it was quite rare I still like the way it looks and will definitely get one or six....
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:53 AM UTC
And I thought I can shy away from armor models and switch to aircraft This one's a keeper. Thanks for posting!
byrdman
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 01:19 PM UTC
Herb; Thanks for all the great info you knock around all the time. Im curious why on the late war Panther G did they only do the last set of road wheels? Seems like a total interim step to me. Can you fill me in?
Thanks, Byrdman
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 02:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Herb; Thanks for all the great info you knock around all the time. Im curious why on the late war Panther G did they only do the last set of road wheels? Seems like a total interim step to me. Can you fill me in?
Thanks, Byrdman

Why MAN as the only factory added these wheels is not known. MNH who was also still producing Panthers as did DB finished their Panthers with rubber rimmed wheels.

DB however is said, curtosy of MAN officials during interogation, to have delivered Ausf. F hulls with steel wheels in staggered pairs mounting Ausf. G turrets.

It can't be something like a shortage of rubber rimmed wheels at MAN as the only other factory using the same steel wheels until the end was Henschel, and they finished their Tiger-Bs until the end with all wheels fitted.

Some have said it was due to rubber rim failure on the last station, caused either by the centre of gravity or the recoil of the tank while firing.

It is further strange that MAN did use these single station steel wheels as the reason for NOT introducing the full steel wheels running gear into production was that it caused broken guide teeth. Perhaps this was caused by only the first set of steel wheel after the sprocket.

But, bottom line, there is no answer as to why MAN mounted steel wheels at the last station.

Now, let's talk about the E-50 running gear on the Panther F...
byrdman
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 05:08 AM UTC
Herb, nobody has ever done such a fine job in not answering a question!
That was AWESOME!! You hold court with style brother.
Thank you for the great insight into a very interesting Time in ww2 history. The degeneration of the German war machine and it's effects on what we model today is fascinating.
Great modeling Byrdman
 _GOTOTOP